The Student Room Group

Harris Westminster Entrance Exams

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Evelixx
I read online some HWSF students were able to study at Westminster School, does anyone know why? Do you think this year some students will be offered the opportunity? If yes, who? Only curious :smile: Exited to meet you all in September :biggrin:

I think it depends on the subjects you take, select lessons are held at Westminster School. :smile:
Just when I was set on going harris I saw the timetable. Do you think we will get any frees? And also I'm worried about the Saturday's cos as part of my NCS project I need to do things during the Saturday's in September to graduate 😐. I'm hoping it won't be too overwhelming.
Original post by ollie262
Just when I was set on going harris I saw the timetable. Do you think we will get any frees? And also I'm worried about the Saturday's cos as part of my NCS project I need to do things during the Saturday's in September to graduate 😐. I'm hoping it won't be too overwhelming.

I think there will be free periods, it wont show on the general timetable they give you as, its general, so it depends. I did my ncs to be on sundays lol, you can probably call up ncs and talk to them about it.
Original post by ollie262

I asked some of the students and there are definitely quite a few free periods not to mention the 'lab' time we are given as well. I had to change my ncs wave so I go on Sunday's because they said i wouldn't be able to graduate otherwise

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Guys! I confirmed my place at HWSF too! I was wondering, how much is everyone expecting to be spending on their travel; because the cost of travel is actually starting to scare me a bit, considering of going somewhere more local! Please share the amount and whether you are going to be getting reimbursed and when we should expect this.
Original post by Iintergirl98
Hi Guys! I confirmed my place at HWSF too! I was wondering, how much is everyone expecting to be spending on their travel; because the cost of travel is actually starting to scare me a bit, considering of going somewhere more local! Please share the amount and whether you are going to be getting reimbursed and when we should expect this.

In the enrolment pack it mentions how students on free school meals or students that come from deprived areas are eligible to receive a free weekly travel card. I'm personally hoping on receiving the weekly travel card as I was on free school meals. Also there's a bursary you can apply for, there's a lot of detail about it in the enrolment pack. Hoped that helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey. Congratulations on securing a space at HWSF! What subjects are you applying for?

I'm in Zone 6 (Crayford), so each year I'll be spending ~£1300 on travel :angry:
But like the last commenter said, there are numerous schemes and bursaries in place to make the cost part of the commute less intimidating. If I remember correctly, students who apply for the 'enhanced' bursary are allowed £800 in monthly payments, and £400 thereafter if the situation warrants. They stress that the money is for exclusively academic reasons -- travel, textbooks and stationary, nothing else.

There was also another part regarding free travel cards, but I haven't read that properly. I can send you a picture of the letter in case you haven't received it. Either way, if you you eligible for free school meals, there will be opportunities for you to subdue the cost in some way.

If you'd like to see how much you'll be spending per annum on travel, see this chart: https://tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/tube-dlr-lo-adult-fares.pdf

If you don't know which Zone you're in, Google your station -- the Wikipedia page should tell you. Also, remember to divide the cost from the table by two; since we're 16/17 and in school, our travel fees are half of the adult ones.

As for when you can expect the bursary... I'm not too sure. The countless forms we had to sign should be handed in on the first day (4th September). It should all be processed within the first week :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)

It shouldn't be too much but I guess it depends on what zone you live in and whether or not you have an oyster, I live in zone 4 so it only costs £1.50 per day (75p each way)
Original post by samnaps
It shouldn't be too much but I guess it depends on what zone you live in and whether or not you have an oyster, I live in zone 4 so it only costs £1.50 per day (75p each way)

I thought the price goes up once you get the 16+ oyster? Because I live in zone 2 which closer but its more expensive than the price you gave...
I want to ask you guys why you're choosing Harris Westminster. I didn't go through the entrance exams etc. but I got a place this week after taking my results up to the school. Before that, I hadn't even seen the school.
I'm really conflicted on whether I should go or not - i have another place in a well established grammar school that produces better results. Having said that, I'm lured in by HWs 'cultural perspectives' and the fact that it's so central and seems more dynamic than the grammar. Is it worth the risk?
Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs
Hey. Congratulations on securing a space at HWSF! What subjects are you applying for?

I'm in Zone 6 (Crayford), so each year I'll be spending ~£1300 on travel :angry:
But like the last commenter said, there are numerous schemes and bursaries in place to make the cost part of the commute less intimidating. If I remember correctly, students who apply for the 'enhanced' bursary are allowed £800 in monthly payments, and £400 thereafter if the situation warrants. They stress that the money is for exclusively academic reasons -- travel, textbooks and stationary, nothing else.

There was also another part regarding free travel cards, but I haven't read that properly. I can send you a picture of the letter in case you haven't received it. Either way, if you you eligible for free school meals, there will be opportunities for you to subdue the cost in some way.

If you'd like to see how much you'll be spending per annum on travel, see this chart: https://tfl.gov.uk/cdn/static/cms/documents/tube-dlr-lo-adult-fares.pdf

If you don't know which Zone you're in, Google your station -- the Wikipedia page should tell you. Also, remember to divide the cost from the table by two; since we're 16/17 and in school, our travel fees are half of the adult ones.

As for when you can expect the bursary... I'm not too sure. The countless forms we had to sign should be handed in on the first day (4th September). It should all be processed within the first week :smile:

Thank you for this reply! This has been the most useful, I dont live in London so it is more expensive than most people's fares. Does that mean that the standard bursary could be £400 a month?
Thank you for this reply! This has been the most useful, I dont live in London so it is more expensive than most people's fares. Does that mean that the standard bursary could be £400 a month?

I'm not too sure how much the standard bursary entitles you to -- the letter simply states that if you are eligible for the standard bursary, "you will be allocated a specific amount of money after all applications have been received". No actual figure is released.
Original post by malisha
I want to ask you guys why you're choosing Harris Westminster. I didn't go through the entrance exams etc. but I got a place this week after taking my results up to the school. Before that, I hadn't even seen the school.
I'm really conflicted on whether I should go or not - i have another place in a well established grammar school that produces better results. Having said that, I'm lured in by HWs 'cultural perspectives' and the fact that it's so central and seems more dynamic than the grammar. Is it worth the risk?

The location. Being able to study at the heart of London, the political centre of the country is pretty cool IMO. It has a very 'upmarket' feel to it, in a way.

The teachers. Most of the teachers in the school have been educated in some of the best universities in the world for their respective subject. Some even hold PhDs from red-brick Unis!

The partnership. As you may have heard, the school has developed a partnership with Westminster school -- a school which sends 50% of its students to OxBridge (the highest in the country). What this actually means for us is unclear to me, but I do know that students studying some of the more unorthodox subjects will actually be taught in Westminster School, keeping in mind that this would otherwise cost tens of thousands of pounds.

Like you, I was also offered a place at a grammar school. Dartford Grammar, in fact. Even considering it's one of the highest-performing grammar schools in the country, and that it's only a 10-minute commute from my house, I still felt compelled to apply for HWSF.

oh, and there are like 4 Starbucks Cafés surrounding the school. this may or may not have been the deciding factor.
Having been away, ill, and busy as **** over the last few months, I haven;t given anyone the link to the Facebook group.

Well, here it is. HWSF Group

Please note, I will be verifying that anyone trying to join IS a member, by asking them to send me a pic of their acceptance letter.
Hey guys! Did you get your places at Harris Westminster? I'm currently going to year 11 and i have to start applying soon (not sure when exactly) and i would love to attend this sixth form. Any tips or advices would be very much appreciated :smile:

p.s how were the entrance exams like?
Original post by goldenusername
Hey guys! Did you get your places at Harris Westminster? I'm currently going to year 11 and i have to start applying soon (not sure when exactly) and i would love to attend this sixth form. Any tips or advices would be very much appreciated :smile:

p.s how were the entrance exams like?

I think January is the application end date for 2016 entry via. entrance examination, and March is the deadline for late applications, so you still have plenty of time.

As for the entrance test:

It's designed to be difficult. You won't have covered a lot of the material you will be tested on, but this is by design -- it's supposed to test your logical thinking, not knowledge.

If you'd like to make an effort in terms of preparation, I'd say to definitely go over the maths GCSE syllabus and make sure you can do the basic things like factorization and algebraic manipulation (like rearranging formulae), assuming of course you are taking maths to A-level.

Also, on the day of the entrance examination, DON'T WEAR A SUIT. I made that mistake and ended up being the only person in the midst of ~400 doing so. Felt like an idiot. An overdressed idiot.
Original post by ETbuymilkandeggs
I think January is the application end date for 2016 entry via. entrance examination, and March is the deadline for late applications, so you still have plenty of time.

As for the entrance test:

It's designed to be difficult. You won't have covered a lot of the material you will be tested on, but this is by design -- it's supposed to test your logical thinking, not knowledge.

If you'd like to make an effort in terms of preparation, I'd say to definitely go over the maths GCSE syllabus and make sure you can do the basic things like factorization and algebraic manipulation (like rearranging formulae), assuming of course you are taking maths to A-level.

Also, on the day of the entrance examination, DON'T WEAR A SUIT. I made that mistake and ended up being the only person in the midst of ~400 doing so. Felt like an idiot. An overdressed idiot.

Thanks for replying!
How early can i apply? And do i have to visit them or do it online? Yeah im planning to take maths a level :biggrin: i'll definitely look over the syllabus, thanks! Haha i remember something that like that happened to me once, we had to come in for revision on a Saturday last year and i was the only one who turned up in their school uniform, felt so embarrassed
Did anyone manage to get into hwsf with a B in one of their subjects? :^/
Original post by BookerGirl
Did anyone manage to get into hwsf with a B in one of their subjects? :^/

Hmm, I'd assume you'd have to well in your admission test and interview. The headteacher, Mr Handscombe, is really lovely. if you can convince him that you're really passionate about the subject, he might let you take it. :smile:
I got a B in one of my subjects and I am supposedly studying them! I guess its fine!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending