Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel FP3 - 27th June, 2016 watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find the Edexcel FP3 exam?
    Very hard
    8.40%
    Hard
    14.14%
    Normal
    31.97%
    Easy
    33.81%
    Very easy
    11.68%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DesignPredator)
    Vector equation

(r-(0,-1/5,-1))x(11,-1,8)=0 ?
    That is correct. Could have had any multiple of your direction vector though of course
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by kamez)
    what grade did you need for uni? im concerned about my A in maths. pretty sure got A* in further maths tho...this is so weird...i need 2 A* 1 A :O
    I needed A*A*A so hoping my A*s are in chem and bio. I guess it isn't impossible I have an A* in FM if I got say 92 93 85 in fp2, m2 and fp3 but that seems unlikely so trying to forget about it.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8752)
    That is correct. Could have had any multiple of your direction vector though of course
    Yes of course thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insight314)
    No. Majority think that STEP is just like A-level so they don't put enough (or even any) work into it, which is why most Cambridge Maths offer-holders end up with grade 2 or 3.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    ah right I see the problem here
    You have no insight

ReputationRep:
    I will be posting a model solutions this evening like I did for the C4 paper.

ReputationRep:
    How many marks for final part of last question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snasher350)
    ah right I see the problem here
    You have no insight
    What the **** are you talking about?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Apparently STEP is the only Maths examination that doesn't abide to the same logical principles of the general study of Maths...and it descends from the Gods.

Perhaps Universities should be 3 years of Step 1 to 3.

ReputationRep:
    For the show that they are perpendicular you just had to show that the scalar product of n and the direction vector of the first plane =0, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by target21859)
    For the show that they are perpendicular you just had to show that the scalar product of n and the direction vector of the first plane =0, right?
    yes. if n1.n2=0 then normals to plane are perpendicular therefore it follows that planes are therefore also perpendicular to each other

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Insight314)
    I guess I may start to agree with you to a certain extent.

However, this is not what our debate is based on, I was initially arguing Physicsmaths' statement that natural ability is a requirement for an S grade in STEP. I completely disagree with this. (Btw, I am talking about the view that the difference between a grade 1 student and a grade S student is natural ability)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My statement and the last line are not equivalent.
    people who get S grades have some sort of natural talent. differences between grade 1 and grades S can be talent can be hard work and can be luck. it is not the same thing.
    Have you seen the standards of people who get SS in STEP? They are very very good, only 40 get it, most have succeeded in stuff like olympiads which are no doubt tests of talent and hard work aswell. You will see in cambridge, people with SS all have talent not just hard work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarocMan)
    wasnt for the line of intersection a=(11/8, -13/40, 0) and b looks the same as mine, it seems like we both cancelled z and worked like that, i dont understand how u got 8 as denominator?? i may be wrong
    How many marks does question 2 worth?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    My statement and the last line are not equivalent.
    people who get S grades have some sort of natural talent. differences between grade 1 and grades S can be talent can be hard work and can be luck. it is not the same thing.
    Have you seen the standards of people who get SS in STEP? They are very very good, only 40 get it, most have succeeded in stuff like olympiads which are no doubt tests of talent and hard work aswell. You will see in cambridge, people with SS all have talent not just hard work.
    To be fair, perhaps it's just a matter of exam technique and being calm.

ReputationRep:
    If I got a different position vector because my z value was zero, would i get marks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Armpits)
    Apparently STEP is the only Maths examination that doesn't abide to the same logical principles of the general study of Maths...and it descends from the Gods.

Perhaps Universities should be 3 years of Step 1 to 3.
    You can't comment on step mate. Just don't.
    Yeh It requires some sort of talent to get the top grade unlike a levels.
    Tons of maths exams have this, insights principle could be applied to anything, you can get a gold in the IMO with no talent, just do all the questions learn all the tricks. Majority will still get 0.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Armpits)
    To be fair, perhaps it's just a matter of exam technique and being calm.
    That is a factor. Still need some sort of ability to come top 40 in the country arguably. Or no? Someone can squeeze in with enoughbhard work.
    Some hard work can increase peoples talent but those kind of people have some sort of mathematical talent in the first place.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What do you think the grade boundaries will be for an A* and an A in this paper if you had to guess?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    You can't comment on step mate. Just don't.
    Yeh It requires some sort of talent to get the top grade unlike a levels.
    Tons of maths exams have this, insights principle could be applied to anything, you can get a gold in the IMO with no talent, just do all the questions learn all the tricks. Majority will still get 0.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I studied Linear Algebra and Analysis at university for a year (when I lived in Germany, dropped out and took A levels to study here for personal reasons) don't talk **** to me about your bloody STEP.

You have NO idea what you're talking about, probably think Maths is magical.

It isn't.

Everything can be fundamentally solved because the logic is fixed, it's just about uncovering it, and in a sufficiently large time interval, all students with an understanding of basic axioms can solve any Step paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MathsAndChess)
    I will be posting a model solutions this evening like I did for the C4 paper.
    you da real mvp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    I needed A*A*A so hoping my A*s are in chem and bio. I guess it isn't impossible I have an A* in FM if I got say 92 93 85 in fp2, m2 and fp3 but that seems unlikely so trying to forget about it.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    my offer is A*A* in maths and fm which sucks....i think i got like 90-91 ums in maths though...quite worried if gb rise, i might lose it. and i dont know if they will let me in with A*aa with A* in further maths... and a in maths...what does one say whilst begging the uni to take you in if you miss the offer by a couple marks?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 20, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.