Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Cricket Society IV watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    But I do share your doubt as to whether T20 Success will translate to Test Match success, personally I don't think it will.

I think we'll avoid being as bad as Zimbabwe but I think soon we will be 2nd worst nation in Tests and worst than Bangladesh (that may already have happened.) If Bishoo is not on form I genuinely worry as to if we could beat Bangladesh atm home or away.

The Under 19 success hopefully demonstrates talent but I frar it won't be utilised enough due to combination of board trouble, awful pitches (9 of 10 leading wicket takers being spinners is common theme in domestic league) and the lure of T20. Alzarri Joseph looks a promising fast bowler and I'd probably fast track him into National side, yes he may not be ready but how many of our fast bowlers are and its only way he'll get used to bowling on pitches which offer pace, bounce and swing.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by JoJo9)
    But I do share your doubt as to whether T20 Success will translate to Test Match success, personally I don't think it will.

I think we'll avoid being as bad as Zimbabwe but I think soon we will be 2nd worst nation in Tests and worst than Bangladesh (that may already have happened.) If Bishoo is not on form I genuinely worry as to if we could beat Bangladesh atm home or away.
    I think you'll always be above the likes of Zimbabwe, purely based on the fact that - despite negotiating trouble with the WICB - you won't have the political turmoil or strife that the aforementioned country has developed.

That said, Bangladesh would definitely push you close in Test cricket judging on the Windies' display in Australia around Christmas time.

ReputationRep:
    Sarfaraz Ahmed named new Pakistan T20 captain. A good move - he captained well in the PSL and I just hope he has some new ideas and thoughts to try and garner positive results for the team. A team, hopefully, with no Afridi.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Aky786UK)
    Sarfaraz Ahmed named new Pakistan T20 captain. A good move - he captained well in the PSL and I just hope he has some new ideas and thoughts to try and garner positive results for the team. A team, hopefully, with no Afridi.
    A belated move, in my view. Should have happened pre-Asia Cup.

ReputationRep:
    Rahul Dravid might become the new India coach! I will be sooo happy if that happens! He coached the U19s to the WC final and I think he could do a very good job for India.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Apparently Bravo has done a Skype interview calling the WICB "immature". I doubt that'll help tensions and fraught relationships! Ha. I don't like Cameron, but he's right, there needs to be some sort of compromise.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I don't think the WICB are any good, the cynic in me says that Gayle, Sammy, Russell etc would all much rather tour the big T20 leagues than playing Test and one day cricket.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by The Wavefunction)
    Whilst I don't think the WICB are any good, the cynic in me says that Gayle, Sammy, Russell etc would all much rather tour the big T20 leagues than playing Test and one day cricket.
    Agreed - but I wonder if a large part of that comes down to their age.

It's worth remembering that, while England lost the final, they were playing a side who boasted 700 T20 appearances more than them across the course of the respective XI's careers.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by moment of truth)
    Rahul Dravid might become the new India coach! I will be sooo happy if that happens! He coached the U19s to the WC final and I think he could do a very good job for India.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Dravid would be awesome, especially for the test side as shastri is adamant on rohit Sharma whereas dravid will know better! I think India need him or Kirsten tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mackay)
    Agreed - but I wonder if a large part of that comes down to their age.

It's worth remembering that, while England lost the final, they were playing a side who boasted 700 T20 appearances more than them across the course of the respective XI's careers.
    I think that's certainly the case these days, but even a few years ago I don't think any of them were ever busting a gut to play test cricket. Russell and Braithwaite are pretty young, although I don't know how much they'd add in a test match format. The rest you'd expect to see hanging up their international boots sooner rather than later.

That's quite a staggering statistic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazza ma razza)
    Dravid would be awesome, especially for the test side as shastri is adamant on rohit Sharma whereas dravid will know better! I think India need him or Kirsten tbh
    Do India have seperate coaches for Test and the shorter formats? Is Fletcher in charge for the former? Dravid might not be a bad choice, instantly gains the respect of the team but IMO, with things across the border in Pakistan cricket as expected unraveling in the wake of the T20 exit and Waqar's resignation - I do think the coach's role is overplayed Sometimes a strong enough captain like Dhoni can handle all aspects of the team. A coach should be their to do what his job title says, coach. Waqar was moaning about not having a say in selection but his primary role is to coach which I don't think he was fully qualified for despite a fantastic professional career, which he was happy to list off a sheet of paper in a TV interview on Pakistan TV before he left.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What the recent success shows is that the Windies have natural talent. It's the harnessing of the talent that is an issue, especially at the men's level.

There needs to be a way that these youngsters growing up - the Under-19 winners, and those younger - are inspired to play in the Windies' maroon colours, rather than the IPL, Big Bash, CPL etc.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Mackay)
    What the recent success shows is that the Windies have natural talent. It's the harnessing of the talent that is an issue, especially at the men's level.

There needs to be a way that these youngsters growing up - the Under-19 winners, and those younger - are inspired to play in the Windies' maroon colours, rather than the IPL, Big Bash, CPL etc.
    The reason the youth are more interested in t20 is because the standard is low in test cricket. Why? Lack of interest in the game compared to india, this means less revenue for the Board which in turn means less invested in their FC and domestic structure and less money available for west indian first team players compared to their counterparts of India. they too want the good life and riches by playing the t20 leagues and making a name for themselves which they cant do if they play just for WI.

Call it unfair.. cricket runs on India's power and sport popularity. and other players want to have a share of the cake
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by sachinisgod)
    The reason the youth are more interested in t20 is because the standard is low in test cricket. Why?
    It's a vicious cycle. The Windies' signature, headline players don't want to play Tests - but we've seen in past decades how the nation has a penchant for producing cricketing and Test greats. There is a Test culture there for sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sachinisgod)
    The reason the youth are more interested in t20 is because the standard is low in test cricket. Why? Lack of interest in the game compared to india, this means less revenue for the Board which in turn means less invested in their FC and domestic structure and less money available for west indian first team players compared to their counterparts of India. they too want the good life and riches by playing the t20 leagues and making a name for themselves which they cant do if they play just for WI.

Call it unfair.. cricket runs on India's power and sport popularity. and other players want to have a share of the cake
    I think that is rather harsh - cricket is incredibly popular on the main islands. The main reason for poor revenue is the fact that the population of the Windies is ~3 million across several poorly resourced countries. This has always been a problem - it was the case in the 70s/80s when the Windies team defected to World Cricket for a while. The difference was that the 70s/80s team had the drive and will to perform at test cricket, particularly in the face of racial discrimination from Aus, Eng and SA at the time. The current lot are more interested in lining their pockets.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Captain Crash)
    The current lot are more interested in lining their pockets.
    But why wouldn't they be? They go to places like the IPL, the Big Bash and they are revered, sought-after, loved. They are paid handsomely and idolised, because everybody knows the Windies team play T20 and shorter format cricket best.

The WICB disrespects them. Take Holder for an example. He spent Christmas in Australia, toiling in a poor Test squad and was at the centre of some scathing reports. He seems entirely drained by playing red-ball cricket, so much so that he didn't make the XI for the T20 final. And for what? Getting battered at the hands of the Aussies?

ReputationRep:
    'Kevin Pietersen considering playing for South Africa to make Test return'

http://gu.com/p/4t8fp

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If he does, which I highly doubt, can't wait for the SA v England Test series. :ahee:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    A decent start to the domestic season for Warwickshire today, with Barker getting five wickets as they reduced Hampshire to 180-8. Having been 80-7 at lunch, though, you'd imagine the Bears will be gutted they couldn't skittle Hampshire out after the interval.

Seems Division One is a battle between Yorkshire, Warks and perhaps Surrey.

ReputationRep:
    That KP story was doing the rounds a month or so ago. Wouldn't put it past him but surely not, then to take on England?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 22, 2018
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.