The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Doll Parts
That's really useful as I've been trying to find out how the training is structured. Are there gaps in training eg Easter, summer hols etc when you are expected to take leave?

I start this Monday in Liverpool in WMBC.

Who's your manager over there have you had an email to tell you yet? I know a few of the managers from pacesetter / transformation presentations I've been involved in :smile:

I was a near miss for the TSP so took an EO role last year, our training programme was slightly different to the new one because (I believe) you don't have the exams any more. We had self study manuals (a lot of those) and then every few weeks a tutorial. We also had exams on certain topics too.

There was gaps in our schedule but I haven't seen the shortened study guide yet. You should be okay going away for a week generally I'd say, otherwise maybe try and hang fire until the summer.
The first few weeks are pretty boring, the first thing you will learn is that in HMRC things take a while to happen. So you might be waiting on manuals or computer logins etc. Those first few weeks are a good opportunity to try and shadow your colleagues on visits if you can, it can be a bit hard to match schedules once your real programme starts. Don't be scared to ask, generally people won't mind you tagging along and it gives you a good idea about what the job is like.

I'm fairly sure that WMBC in Liverpool is one involved in the transformation at the moment, that means that the type of work they do is changing. They are redirecting teams towards status issues (google IR35 for a rough example of the kind of work) but because this is more niche for our intake they have continued to give us what is called 'core' reviews as well. Which is where you go into a business and do an all round review of their compliance. This helps to consolidate your learning because even if you're looking at status issues, undoubtedly you will come across other things too. I hope the above makes sense, I've tried not to use any terms I think will be confusing. I'd also add that they have changed the programme and some teams are in the process of changing the work they do, so I might be wrong on some of the things I've said :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Vereor
Who's your manager over there have you had an email to tell you yet? I know a few of the managers from pacesetter / transformation presentations I've been involved in :smile:

I was a near miss for the TSP so took an EO role last year, our training programme was slightly different to the new one because (I believe) you don't have the exams any more. We had self study manuals (a lot of those) and then every few weeks a tutorial. We also had exams on certain topics too.

There was gaps in our schedule but I haven't seen the shortened study guide yet. You should be okay going away for a week generally I'd say, otherwise maybe try and hang fire until the summer.
The first few weeks are pretty boring, the first thing you will learn is that in HMRC things take a while to happen. So you might be waiting on manuals or computer logins etc. Those first few weeks are a good opportunity to try and shadow your colleagues on visits if you can, it can be a bit hard to match schedules once your real programme starts. Don't be scared to ask, generally people won't mind you tagging along and it gives you a good idea about what the job is like.

I'm fairly sure that WMBC in Liverpool is one involved in the transformation at the moment, that means that the type of work they do is changing. They are redirecting teams towards status issues (google IR35 for a rough example of the kind of work) but because this is more niche for our intake they have continued to give us what is called 'core' reviews as well. Which is where you go into a business and do an all round review of their compliance. This helps to consolidate your learning because even if you're looking at status issues, undoubtedly you will come across other things too. I hope the above makes sense, I've tried not to use any terms I think will be confusing. I'd also add that they have changed the programme and some teams are in the process of changing the work they do, so I might be wrong on some of the things I've said :smile:

That's great; thanks for giving so much info! I know a *weenie* bit about IR35 as I recruited contractors to projects in the Home Office in my last Job.

I'll pm you re: line manager, rather than putting her name on here.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1002
Original post by dagoro1
Do you have core hours?

Nope!!!!
Reply 1003
Original post by liverpool75
Hi just got my job offer for belfast which is 37 hours says office hours 9 -5 but says working hours may be flexible was your offer worded the same. How are you finding the job?

Mine was worded pretty similar. I am on the 26 week course, with two weeks off over Christmas. There is a lot of elearning to do and practical activities you have to complete, with the odd face to face tutorials. There are tests to do after each topic, but only about 10 questions each. There aren't exams as such, more continuously assessing the quality of your work and training.
Original post by Sljca
Mine was worded pretty similar. I am on the 26 week course, with two weeks off over Christmas. There is a lot of elearning to do and practical activities you have to complete, with the odd face to face tutorials. There are tests to do after each topic, but only about 10 questions each. There aren't exams as such, more continuously assessing the quality of your work and training.

When you say 2 weeks off over Christmas, is that leave you've booked off?
Got a provisional offer for Belfast on the 12th August. Eagerly awaiting completion of checks and a start date.
Original post by Sljca
Nope!!!!

Yes you are. You should be in the office between 10-3.*

When I started way back when that was the rule for all caseworkers. *
Original post by Mega0448
Yes you are. You should be in the office between 10-3.*

When I started way back when that was the rule for all caseworkers. *

I think that rule fizzeled out with the introduction of the 8-8 working pattern.
Original post by memoryfish
I think that rule fizzeled out with the introduction of the 8-8 working pattern.

Yeah in Salford the office opens at 6.30am and closes at 7pm.

You'll get a few raised eyebrows if you regularly turn up after 10am but nobody minds occasionally; it doesn't really matter what time you leave (so long as you have enough flexi to cover it).
Original post by memoryfish

No I'm not.

The rules here are if you work full flexi then you should notify you manager should you be in later than 10am. Also you shouldn't be leaving on flexi before 3pm, unless you clear it with your manager.

I just don't think new recruits are aware of this. *
No I'm not.

The rules here are if you work full flexi then you should notify you manager should you be in later than 10am. Also you shouldn't be leaving on flexi before 3pm, unless you clear it with your manager.

I just don't think new recruits are aware of this. *

I've yet to meet a manager who would enforce this though. Maybe it's different in your location.

I start at 6.30am most mornings and I've completed my day (with a half hour lunch) by 14.30. I know a lot of people in Manchester do the same thing, I'm not saying that this is by the HR book. I'm saying that in practice, most managers won't hold you to 'clearing it with them' before you go after you've completed your day.
Reply 1010
Original post by Vereor
I've yet to meet a manager who would enforce this though. Maybe it's different in your location.

I start at 6.30am most mornings and I've completed my day (with a half hour lunch) by 14.30. I know a lot of people in Manchester do the same thing, I'm not saying that this is by the HR book. I'm saying that in practice, most managers won't hold you to 'clearing it with them' before you go after you've completed your day.

I specifically asked my manager when starting and there is no core flexi. I've worked for the civil for 15 years, so I'm quite well aware of flexi. You would have to ring if you intend to come in after 10 just for courtesy but as long as you have the flexi, you can leave when you want.

The two weeks at Christmas are off the course, not necessarily 2 weeks leave.
Original post by Sljca
I specifically asked my manager when starting and there is no core flexi. I've worked for the civil for 15 years, so I'm quite well aware of flexi. You would have to ring if you intend to come in after 10 just for courtesy but as long as you have the flexi, you can leave when you want.

The two weeks at Christmas are off the course, not necessarily 2 weeks leave.

Have you quoted the wrong person? I'm agreeing with you lol.
Original post by Vereor

It isn't strictly enforced in my office either, but the rule is still there. My original point was that these guidelines are in place so to tell potential new entrants you aren't bound by these rules could be incorrect, as it seems they aren't enforced rather than the rule doesn't exist...
It isn't strictly enforced in my office either, but the rule is still there. My original point was that these guidelines are in place so to tell potential new entrants you aren't bound by these rules could be incorrect, as it seems they aren't enforced rather than the rule doesn't exist...

This rule did not apply to me when I started at Hmrc because I was not given full flexi.. This was to accommodate the late finishes.
Reply 1014

How is it incorrect to state I don't have core hours if I don't??? I was told specifically there are no core hours, so for me there aren't. I'm sure other new entrants will find out when they get to their offices if there are core hours or not. I was asked a question and answered it for my circumstances.

Sorry Vereor!! Didn't mean to quote u!!!!
Original post by Sljca
How is it incorrect to state I don't have core hours if I don't??? I was told specifically there are no core hours, so for me there aren't. I'm sure other new entrants will find out when they get to their offices if there are core hours or not. I was asked a question and answered it for my circumstances.

Sorry Vereor!! Didn't mean to quote u!!!!

Yeah the core 10-3 is a rule that will be enforced if anyone abuses the flexi system. It was an unenforced rule until one of the trainees went a bit overboard and they were told the morning 10am is now to be adhered (not in by then but if gonna be after to get approval).
Reply 1016
any existing civil servant been offered the role? how long did the pre-employment checks take???
Hi,

New to forum and just looking for some advice. I have an interview at HRMC Cardiff later in the week for the tax caseworker role. It says on the interview invite to bring copies of your education certificates, I have all of them except for one (maths) which I can't find anywhere, but I do have the statement of results, just not the actual certificate. Do you think the statement of results will be sufficient, or will I need to order a replacement certificate?
Was this the back of the TSP Graduate application? Are you O/HO?

If so then would your degree certificate not be enough?

I am not certain about whether the statement would be sufficient (I read somewhere that you may need to order a replacement and provide evidence this is the case).

Finally did they outline what the interview consisted of, as in any details of what the format may be etc.
It's a recent campaign they have advertised in Cardiff for Tax Professional Caseworkers, grade O I believe. It's a competency based interview. Invite said it would last approximately 45 minutes.

I'm hoping degree cert will be enough, I have all my A level and GCSE ones except the Maths one! So frustrating! I think i'll order a replacement anyway.

Latest

Trending

Trending