Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by tom476zf)
    is constitutionalism an aspect of liberal democracy, also is decentralisation (devolution) ?
    More a common feature than aspect I'd say.

ReputationRep:
    Could refer to STV, Party List and AMS. The main message would probably be that they'd produce coalitions, seeing as seats are won in relation to the number of votes received. Parties like the Lib Dems, UKIP and Greens would do much better under any of these systems, I'd imagine?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sahildusara)
    Personally, I think that's not a great idea, for all we know, the two topics you have revised could have really hard questions to answer which could knock you off. I'd say revise three
    Many thanks for your response. One more I shall have to learn, then.

ReputationRep:
    After a quick whip around, I found these possible Unit 125 mark questions -

Parties:
    Has the modern Conservative Party abandoned Thatcherism?
    Is Cameron a one nation or Thatcherite conservative?
    To what extent is the Labour Party still committed to its traditional principles?
    To what extent is the Labour Party internally divided?
    ‘Britain is now a multiparty democracy’ how far do you agree?

Democracy
    To what extent can Britain be called a ‘liberal democracy’?
    How democratic is the UK?
    Evaluate recent attempts to improve UK democracy
    ‘Devolution has improved the quality of UK democracy’ discuss

Pressure Groups
    To what extent do pressure groups promote political participation in the UK?
    ‘Pressure groups harm democracy’ – evaluate
    ‘Only insider pressure groups are successful’ do you agree or disagree?
    To what extent are the largest pressure groups the most successful ones?
    Is pressure group politics in the UK better described as pluralist or as elitist?
    To what extent is the success of pressure groups a reflection of their level finances?
    ‘Social media has revolutionised pressure groups’ discuss

Elections
    How far does the Westminster electoral system ensure strong and stable government?
    To what extent do the various electoral systems used in the UK produce differentoutcomes?
    Assess the various electoral systems used in the UK

The link to this is:
    http://alevelpolitics.com/wp-content...Guide-2016.pdf
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by UKStudent17)
    Could refer to STV, Party List and AMS. The main message would probably be that they'd produce coalitions, seeing as seats are won in relation to the number of votes received. Parties like the Lib Dems, UKIP and Greens would do much better under any of these systems, I'd imagine?
    Best in party list, then STV. AMS can be a funny one since majority of seats are won through FPTP still.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pato1)
    It says US is a liberal democracy
    I'm confused now D:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah for sure the smaller parties always do much better under pr than bigger parties ,,, that's why Cameron didn't put pr on the referendum as the conservatives would potentially be the biggest losers

Do you reckon I could shove in 'gerrymandering'?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarpedon)
    Many thanks for your response. One more I shall have to learn, then.
    Not a problem! Good luck!!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I have a list of all past questions for all units bar parties.

Yet I feel with less than twelve hours to go it will be of little use now.

ReputationRep:
    The USA Is 100% a liberal democracy. A pluralist democracy is a liberal democracy + it has a large number of parties where power's not widely dispensed. IE: Germany.

ReputationRep:
    If, Edexcel forbid, easy democracy questions do not come up, I am slain!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    I wouldn't talk about gerrymandering that much. In reality it's rare ( for many democratic countries ) and not worth the bother in an exam.
    Much more relevant to A2 US politics. Not needed for AS UK Politics at all
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Pato1)
    The USA Is 100% a liberal democracy. A pluralist democracy is a liberal democracy + it has a large number of parties where power's not widely dispensed. IE: Germany.
    There are no examples of full pluralist countries as no country is completely neutral, or relies on a complete form of functional representation for legislative or executive matters.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't talk about gerrymandering that much. In reality it's rare ( for many democratic countries ) and not worth the bother in an exam.
    Ahh okay thank you for letting me know☺️.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Best in party list, then STV. AMS can be a funny one since majority of seats are won through FPTP still.
    True. If I remember correctly, the system is 60% FPTP and 40% party list, isn't it?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    True. If I remember correctly, the system is 60% FPTP and 40% party list, isn't it?
    I'm not sure on the numbers but it sounds about right.

ReputationRep:
    HOW SAFE IS IT TO REVISE ONLY 2 TOPICS?
    I see that others have asked this question – can you guarantee that studying 2 topics is enough (if known in detail)?
    pretty safe as long as you're solid on the two you have chosen, i done this last year and got a B in this paper hence why im re-taking but you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    Two thirds F.P.T.P. and one third regional list.

ReputationRep:
    Two thirds F.P.T.P. and one third regional list.
    Ah okay. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    for 'is britain a liberal democracy'
    would you talk about the democratic elements of the uk such as free and fair elections or would you talk about liberalist principles such as the protection of citizen rights and curbing state power??

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.