Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    In Barnet you would need to find at least £30k and then earn around £80k at least to afford even a one bed flat. Almost nothing under £275k.

How is that affordable to most people?
    Wow, that's crazy!

My deposit was 15%, so that would have been about £75k. It's not too bad, considering the house is located in London and boasts 5 bedrooms.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Treasury document coming out later which says that a Canada-style deal with the EU post-Brexit could still damage our economy to the tune of 6% of GDP compared to the Bremain scenario. Whilst that's a very very high figure, I presume the majority of it will come from damage to our financial industry which Brexiteers haven't really tried to tackle yet.

(Original post by Rakas21)
    It looks like an easy win based on phone polling but it's noticeable that the Leave campaign seems to have largely not bothered going for the Labour vote.
    I think it's partly because VL is in essence the eurosceptic wing of the Conservatives. With much of the leading positions in the VL campaign dominated by Tories, I don't think there's much enthusiasm to go after the Labour votes. GO was more broad politically.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    In Barnet you would need to find at least £30k and then earn around £80k at least to afford even a one bed flat. Almost nothing under £275k.

How is that affordable to most people?
    It isnt.

Its got to the point where i have just acknowledged that i wont be able to afford to buy a house in london, probably ever in my lifetime. I knew that id have to move north, was looking at sheffield because i love the yorkshire accent but even buying a house there is a lot. When you look at value for money though, there are a few places in the UK that are actually quite good. Stockton-on-tees is one example and im seriously considering moving there.

Whats going to happen is that everyone who wasnt born with a silver spoon in their mouth and doesnt want to spend their life living in a small room in someone elses house will end up leaving london. This is probably to London's detriment but itll have to happen in order for their to be any change.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    It isnt.

Its got to the point where i have just acknowledged that i wont be able to afford to buy a house in london, probably ever in my lifetime. I knew that id have to move north, was looking at sheffield because i love the yorkshire accent but even buying a house there is a lot. When you look at value for money though, there are a few places in the UK that are actually quite good. Stockton-on-tees is one example and im seriously considering moving there.

Whats going to happen is that everyone who wasnt born with a silver spoon in their mouth and doesnt want to spend their life living in a small room in someone elses house will end up leaving london. This is probably to London's detriment but itll have to happen in order for their to be any change.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Stockton is too small and Sheffield just awful. My recommendation is Nottingham, Leeds or Manchester. Your looking at £100-200k depending on how large you want your property.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Stockton is too small and Sheffield just awful. My recommendation is Nottingham, Leeds or Manchester. Your looking at £100-200k depending on how large you want your property.
    I say stockton because looking at the properties as well as job opportunities there i could quite easily save up £300 every 4 weeks and after a year or two have enough to put down deposit on a house. There are also quite a few 40-50k jobs that i could work my way up to so even if moving up there means taking a pay cut, having worked out roughly what ill be paying monthly for a mortgage (£350) it seems like a higher standard of living than i currently have. Leeds and manchester are both a bit expensive, the upside being that there are probably a few more job opportunities but with whats available in stockton, it doesnt bother me too much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I am very very grateful to both my parents, grandparents and my in-laws for helping my husband and I buy a house in near to where were both born. I do appreciate that not everyone is able to the same thing. I have to admit that my Grandparents own a few properties in Leamington which are rented out. They were brought in the early 90s recession.

ReputationRep:
    It isnt.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    *London and the rest of the south-east. There is no group of people I hate more than the posh Londoners who move here to give their family a bucolic upbringing, inflate the house prices so that local people are forced out, and then keep their 9 to 5 jobs in London and don't contribute to the community in any meaningful way. If I want to stay in Kent then I've got a choice of a crappy area of Thanet, a crappy area of Dover and a crappy area of Dartford.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by cranbrook_aspie)
    *London and the rest of the south-east. There is no group of people I hate more than the posh Londoners who move here to give their family a bucolic upbringing, inflate the house prices so that local people are forced out, and then keep their 9 to 5 jobs in London and don't contribute to the community in any meaningful way. If I want to stay in Kent then I've got a choice of a crappy area of Thanet, a crappy area of Dover and a crappy area of Dartford.
    Folkestone is pretty nice, but you're still looking at around £250k. Essex is the same, hertfordshire too. Anywhere commutable to London. Thing is, there are people who genuinely cant afford to live in london so they commute from the home counties.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Average houses prices near me would probably need around £60k-80k income ....... depending on where i move in London i also have no chance of buying my own home ( In London anyway ) .....which if anyone saw the metro a few days ago a person needs an average salary of around 64k to afford to buy

Average house price in london is £530k
    England and Wales average price £190k
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Average houses prices near me would probably need around £60k-80k income ....... depending on where i move in London i also have no chance of buying my own home ( In London anyway ) .....which if anyone saw the metro a few days ago a person needs an average salary of around 64k to afford to buy
    Its higher than that, to buy an "affordable home" in london you need a salary of 75k. The only reason i could suggest moving to london is for work experience, not a full career as without the ability to own or live in (rent) a home there's no long term aspiration for anyone who isnt already wealthy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Its higher than that, to buy an "affordable home" in london you need a salary of 75k. The only reason i could suggest moving to london is for work experience, not a full career as without the ability to iwn or live in (rent) a home theres no ling term aspiration for anyone who isnt already wealthy.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The average house price in London is £530k ...... Compared to the rest of England and Wales of £190k .....Currently someone with a new job based in London probably won't ever be able to afford a house in London .... Commuting to London would be easier than attempt to save for a deposit
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Average house price in london is £530k
    England and Wales average price £190k
    Yeh, i want a house for under 100k that i can raise my kids in, have the mortgage paid off in 10-15 years, meaning i have enough money (not having to pay rent or a mortgage) to send my child(ren) to a private school so they can have a standard of life that i never could.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Why is every other SOS in Bristol ?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yeh, i want a house for under 100k that i can raise my kids in, have the mortgage paid off in 10-15 years, meaning i have enough money (not having to pay rent or a mortgage) to send my child(ren) to a private school so they can have a standard of life that i never could.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I guess a house for under £100k is possible ..... Looking a average houses prices and lincolnshire is £119k so it's much cheaper than London .....

Definitely send my Children ( If i have any that is ) to a private school
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I guess a house for under £100k is possible ..... Looking a average houses prices and lincolnshire is £119k so it's much cheaper than London .....

Definitely send my Children ( If i have any that is ) to a private school
    It's really not all that it's cracked up to be!

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Certainly not in London, then.

ReputationRep:
    You'll be on an ex council estate for less than 100k.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    It's really not all that it's cracked up to be!
    Houses prices or private schools ?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Houses prices or private schools ?
    Private schools
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    You'll be on an ex council estate for less than 100k.
    Not necessarily

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/p...er-100000.html

Sedgeford, Norfolk, £60-£80,000This quaint little cottage needs some updating, but has plenty of potential - it enjoys an excellent central location in the village, and there are two outbuildings included in the sale which could be converted.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.