Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anam)
    What was everyones equation for the fragmentation question? I put 35 next to the cl in the fragment ion and 37 next to the cl radical is that right?
    I got that I also got 112 for the m/z value

ReputationRep:
    I pretty sure it was 8 peaks for that c13 nmr question!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RME11)
    The polyester polymer was stronger due to permanent dipole-dipole being a stronger IMF between chains than the polypropene's VDW forces - which is why it is better for stitches.
    I said the PGA was biodegradable, so can be used for dissolvable stitches whereas the other would need to be removed by a nurse, plus I guess they could be used for internal stitches where you need the stitch to dissolve so you don't have to go back in and remove the stitch

ReputationRep:
    someone please make an unofficial markscheme or post pictures of the paper coz i need to know how many marks i need in CHEM5 to bring my grade up to an E :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenrs12)
    so random that we had to indicate which isomer we were using of Cl. I just wrote it at the top like a mass number but so many questions like that had weird formats and threw me off because i wasn't used to it
    the hydrogen bonding really threw me as well for some reason

what did people put for the chloroethanoic acid being a stronger acid? i wrote something about electronegativity at the last minute
    There was a question like this in a previous paper in which the mark scheme answer was:
    - Chlorine is more electronegative
    - Chlorine draws electron density towards itself
    - OH bond is weaker

ReputationRep:
    It said in the question they were stitches

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clarkey500)
    I'll follow you so I can keep in touch!
    Your name isn't Harry is it?
    It is!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by j5994)
    someone please make an unofficial markscheme or post pictures of the paper coz i need to know how many marks i need in CHEM5 to bring my grade up to an E :'(
    same sad life

ReputationRep:
    Any chance the last question was unanswerable? It wouldnt be the first time theyd messed a paper up. Has anyone got a correct answer yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by girl :D)
    I spent so long trying to figure it out and then near the end i was **** it an just put 0 and 2
    I'm afraid I think it was 1 and 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Capsicle102)
    There was a question like this in a previous paper in which the mark scheme answer was:
    - OH bond is weaker
    Was that three marks?

ReputationRep:
    What you had to indicate which isomer of cl you used?????????

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RME11)
    The polyester polymer was stronger due to permanent dipole-dipole being a stronger IMF between chains than the polypropene's VDW forces - which is why it is better for stitches.
    Ah sh*t, I said it was because the polyester would be broken down by hydrolysis in the body and so wouldn't have to be removed once the wound had healed as they'd naturally break down…..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bailey2j09)
    they both had chlorine in them and so would both show a precipitate
    Yeah but in a previous pass paper silver nitrate was used to distinguish between a long chained haloalkane and acylchloride don't know why it works but it does >_<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sani Ej)
    Was that three marks?
    I believe so

ReputationRep:
    Interesting. It asked for why the PCG or whatever it was was better though. I put that the PCG thing had polar ester bonds, so was susceptible to attack by nucleophiles such as water, naturally occurring in the body, and this means the stitches will break down as the wound heals, so patients don't have to go back to the doctors to get stitches removed
    Pretty much the same as I put! Maybe there will be alternative answers given on the markscheme, I've seen that done before

ReputationRep:
    - OH bond is weaker
    Ah okay, thanks!! hopefully i've got one mark at least but couldn't remember anything about what electronegativity actually did for it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randoms132)
    I pretty sure it was 8 peaks for that c13 nmr question!
    It was 9 - did you miss out the CH3 groups on the benzene (both in one environment) as I did initially and discovered my mistake>

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jessie253)
    i got 8 too
    It was 9??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thehollowcrown)
    Lol the only reason i knew what suture meant was because i watched grey's anatomy instead of revising, ironic
    Literally this is me. Watched all 12 seasons of greys anatomy in 2 months lmao and now look at me. Push one of Epi cuz dat exam nearly stopped my heart

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.