I mean you could read the threads?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am currently working so writing this in undercover mode
    Pls help me pls pls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AKRP)
    I am currently working so writing this in undercover mode
    Pls help me pls pls
    Well are you asking us if its okay to lie on your cover letter? cause it is not okay, they could ask you in an interview what you want to do your masters in and why etc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheParham)
    Well are you asking us if its okay to lie on your cover letter? cause it is not okay, they could ask you in an interview what you want to do your masters in and why etc
    I will be prepared to coherently answer any question regarding my masters. If they would give me an offer on the condition that I actually do a masters, well then I would do one... Basically, I just want to know whether I can prevent the regulation of me being unable to apply for SA positions by saying I am going to do a masters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AKRP)
    I will be prepared to coherently answer any question regarding my masters. If they would give me an offer on the condition that I actually do a masters, well then I would do one... Basically, I just want to know whether I can prevent the regulation of me being unable to apply for SA positions by saying I am going to do a masters.
    So you are willing to do a whole masters degree if CS give you a 9-10 weeks long internship? hahaha

ReputationRep:
    So you are willing to do a whole masters degree if CS give you a 9-10 weeks long internship? hahaha
    Mate, I am mostly indifferent between doing a masters or not, but would prefer joining straight away... Comprende?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AKRP)
    Mate, I am mostly indifferent between doing a masters or not, but would prefer joining straight away... Comprende?
    if you are keen on joining straight away I suggest this thing called the Analyst 2017 programme that CS do, check it out

ReputationRep:
    if you are keen on joining straight away I suggest this thing called the Analyst 2017 programme that CS do, check it out
    Thank you . However, many of my friends say that it is nearly "impossible" to join straight away with my profile. I come from a good university and have 2 relevant internships but at no-name companies. And so I thought i might take a shot at the SA positions rather than wasting my application for a full-time position where I don't stand a chance. Any thoughts on this ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AKRP)
    Thank you . However, many of my friends say that it is nearly "impossible" to join straight away with my profile. I come from a good university and have 2 relevant internships but at no-name companies. And so I thought i might take a shot at the SA positions rather than wasting my application for a full-time position where I don't stand a chance. Any thoughts on this ??
    On a serious note, I think there are good arguments on both sides (read the thread as prince mentioned) , in my opinion, getting a SA role is not much easier than getting a FT role

ReputationRep:
    On a serious note, I think there are good arguments on both sides (read the thread as prince mentioned) , in my opinion, getting a SA role is not much easier than getting a FT role
    I have read quite a few pages of this one and Princepieman's "How to secure a job in higher Finance", and well, it seems like its commonly accepted that FT roles go 90% to SA guys..... Furthermore, I am not interested in conventional IB (M&A) but more into Markets, especially research. I find that for this position there are even less full time position. To come back to my original question, is it possible for me to apply for SA positions if I indicate that I am doing a master? (Which i will do 50/50 anyways)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AKRP)
    I have read quite a few pages of this one and Princepieman's "How to secure a job in higher Finance", and well, it seems like its commonly accepted that FT roles go 90% to SA guys..... Furthermore, I am not interested in conventional IB (M&A) but more into Markets, especially research. I find that for this position there are even less full time position. To come back to my original question, is it possible for me to apply for SA positions if I indicate that I am doing a master? (Which i will do 50/50 anyways)
    yh, so long as you're in your penultimate year of study

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gr8wizard10)
    yh, so long as you're in your penultimate year of study
    Thank you! Did you do a masters?

On another note, 2 weeks ago I checked the UBS careers portal and there were both a Full-Time and a SA position for Research (in total there were 41 openings). Now both have vanished and there are only 39 left.... Has something like this happened before or will the positions come back? Any insights on this issue? (HR just sending generic mails when i asked them)

ReputationRep:
    have lazard taken away the questions on their application form? is it just a cover letter now??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AKRP)
    Hey,

I am in my last year at university this October. However, I would rather apply to Summer Analyst roles than Graduate roles. But Credit Suisse for example states that you explicitly have to be in your penultimate year to be eligible for the program. However, if i just write in my cover letter that I am intending to do a masters after my bachelor (although I dont want to), will I be able to apply for the Summer Analyst role?

Thank you
    Yes that's fine. A lot of application forms have a box asking you to tick if you are in your penultimate year, and will either state to tick if you intend to do a masters or have a separate question asking if you intend on doing a masters.

They will almost always regard you as a penultimate year student if you intend on doing a masters. I am going into my final year and intend on doing a masters, and I am applying for SA roles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olly_price)
    Yes that's fine. A lot of application forms have a box asking you to tick if you are in your penultimate year, and will either state to tick if you intend to do a masters or have a separate question asking if you intend on doing a masters.

They will almost always regard you as a penultimate year student if you intend on doing a masters. I am going into my final year and intend on doing a masters, and I am applying for SA roles.
    Does this also hold true for CS. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oracle95)
    Does this also hold true for CS. Thanks
    Well I applied for CS so I hope so. I think I remember it specifically asking on the application form.

I would imagine that firms will understand if you put that you're in your penultimate year and then on your CV or CL that you wanna do a masters.

ReputationRep:
    Well I applied for CS so I hope so. I think I remember it specifically asking on the application form.

I would imagine that firms will understand if you put that you're in your penultimate year and then on your CV or CL that you wanna do a masters.
    How exactly did you put it on your CV?

ReputationRep:

Thanks, Yet to apply there because I wasnt sure, as they seem so strict on their website. I'll do it in the coming days.

What division did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    For test preparation, which one is more true to the actual tests: assessment day or jobtestprep.com?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AKRP)
    How exactly did you put it on your CV?
    In the education part I put "Intend on completing a finance-based MSc in 2017/18".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oracle95)
    Thanks, Yet to apply there because I wasnt sure, as they seem so strict on their website. I'll do it in the coming days.

What division did you apply for?
    I applied for equity research, what about you?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.