Maths year 11

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RDKGames)
    Correct. Though uhh... you said that 0.12/12=1/100 then on the next line you proceeded to work out 3/300 through manipulation? Why? You know that 3/300=1/100 right?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Correct.
    What do I do on the one above?its still a decimal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z_o_e)
    What do I do on the one above?its still a decimal.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Multiply top and bottom by 10 once more. Come on you've done these types of conversions yesterday :P

ReputationRep:
    Multiply top and bottom by 10 once more. Come on you've done these types of conversions yesterday :P
    Oh I'd rather times it by 1000

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z_o_e)
    Oh I'd rather times it by 1000

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Exactly. If in doubt just keep multiplying top and bottom by 10 until you have integers on both.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Correct.

ReputationRep:
    Correct.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Yep.

ReputationRep:
    Yep.
    Did this.
    Can you do something on bounds please

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z_o_e)
    Did this.
    Can you do something on bounds please

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Apologies for the delay, I was dealing with some uni stuff.

Anyhow, that's correct. If you give me an example of a bounds question I'll be able to help you as I forgot what bounds are like at GCSE level.

ReputationRep:

Anyhow, that's correct. If you give me an example of a bounds question I'll be able to help you as I forgot what bounds are like at GCSE level.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Here

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry my tsr froze before!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z_o_e)
    Sorry my tsr froze before!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Think of bounds like two extreme cases of a particular value; one will be the lowest possible one, and the other will be the highest possible one. All the numbers between the two will make up a range of values that will round to that particular value.

Explanation, bear with me as I can find this difficult to explain in any simpler terms:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    You know how 0.5 rounds UP to 1 and 1.4 rounds DOWN to 1? Finding the bounds would be kinda like working backwards from this. Although bounds are LIMITS, which is a term not worked with at GCSE and I'm unsure how to explain it otherwise. Here's an example.

Finding the bounds of 1 to 1d.p.
    - Lower bounds: these are very simple to understand. For 1 this would be 0.5 because 0.5 rounds up to 1. Anything less than 0.5 would make the number round down to 0 instead. Now the lower limit (also known as the lower bound) is 0.5. Therefore the lower bound of 1 is 0.5.

- Upper bounds: these require more thinking in order to understand and I'll try my best to make sure you do. We know that 1.5 would NOT round down to 1, therefore we cannot simply say that the upper bound is 1.5 based on that argument. However we use a trick around this. Let's start with 1.4. We know this will round down to 1. What about 1.49? This will also round down to 1. And 1.499? ALSO rounds down to 1. 1.4999? 1.49999? Yes and yes. This is because they are all LESS than 1.5. However with observation, we can notice that the more digits of 9 we add onto the end, the number will approach 1.5 closer and closer while still being less than 1.5 itself. So what is the limit? The limit is the number that 1.4999... approaches as you keep adding digits of 9 onto the end. We can see that the more you add, the closer and closer it will get to 1.5 BUT it will never reach it. Therefore this limit is 1.5, hence the upper bound being 1.5.

Here is an inequality portaying this explanation that you might find useful: 0.5\leq 1 < 1.5 and anything in that range will indeed round to 1. The two numbers on the side are the LIMITS, hence they are the lower and upper bounds respectively.

The two bounds of the first one would be 1.5cm (lower bound) and 2.5cm (upper bound). So the maximum length would be 2.5cm.

ReputationRep:
    Think of bounds like two extreme cases of a particular value; one will be the lowest possible one, and the other will be the highest possible one. All the numbers between the two will make up a range of values that will round to that particular value.

Explanation, bear with me as I can find this difficult to explain in any simpler terms:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    You know how 0.5 rounds UP to 1 and 1.4 rounds DOWN to 1? Finding the bounds would be kinda like working backwards from this. Although bounds are LIMITS, which is a term not worked with at GCSE and I'm unsure how to explain it otherwise. Here's an example.

Finding the bounds of 1 to 1d.p.
    - Lower bounds: these are very simple to understand. For 1 this would be 0.5 because 0.5 rounds up to 1. Anything less than 0.5 would make the number round down to 0 instead. Now the lower limit (also known as the lower bound) is 0.5. Therefore the lower bound of 1 is 0.5.

- Upper bounds: these require more thinking in order to understand and I'll try my best to make sure you do. We know that 1.5 would NOT round down to 1, therefore we cannot simply say that the upper bound is 1.5 based on that argument. However we use a trick around this. Let's start with 1.4. We know this will round down to 1. What about 1.49? This will also round down to 1. And 1.499? ALSO rounds down to 1. 1.4999? 1.49999? Yes and yes. This is because they are all LESS than 1.5. However with observation, we can notice that the more digits of 9 we add onto the end, the number will approach 1.5 closer and closer while still being less than 1.5 itself. So what is the limit? The limit is the number that 1.4999... approaches as you keep adding digits of 9 onto the end. We can see that the more you add, the closer and closer it will get to 1.5 BUT it will never reach it. Therefore this limit is 1.5, hence the upper bound being 1.5.

Here is an inequality portaying this explanation that you might find useful: 0.5\leq 1 < 1.5 and anything in that range will indeed round to 1. The two numbers on the side are the LIMITS, hence they are the lower and upper bounds respectively.

The two bounds of the first one would be 1.5cm (lower bound) and 2.5cm (upper bound). So the maximum length would be 2.5cm.
    Thank you so much.

Can you do the first question on paper please and how you'd lay it out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I tried the first question myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by z_o_e)
    I tried the first question myself.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's good. No need to show the progression with the increasing 9s though. A simple inequality would suffice.

ReputationRep:
    That's good. No need to show the progression with the increasing 9s though. A simple inequality would suffice.
    How do I do Q2?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Study resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.