University of Cambridge Freshers Megathread 2016

University Navigation

Announcements Posted on

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Nope. A decent amount of people get them but it's not required for anything.

There's usually always someone who's not using theirs you can borrow one from too.
    Why would people at Homerton want it lol?
    I thought we literally only need it for graduation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by physicsmaths)
    Why would people at Homerton want it lol?
    I thought we literally only need it for graduation?
    People like to wear them for formals, matriculation dinner and stuff. I literally have only worn mine for Harry Potter formal

Yeah you'll need one for graduation but I'm not sure if it's the undergrad gown or the grad one?

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I know I'm not a 2016 fresher anymore but I have a question for you all.

I recently bought a Pembroke College scarf:

https://www.ryderamies.co.uk/shop/pe...crested-scarf/

(Yeah, I know the price was )

However, a certain vincrows reliably informs me that to wear such a thing would be the ultimate faux pas!

Do any current Cambridge students wear their college scarf?

I'd only ever wear the scarf. I have no intention of buying any of the other tourist directed Cambridge apparel that seems to be available.

(Original post by alow)
    Yeah go for it. Make sure you get the right one though
    Haha I'll read through the info properly

Snape cape here I come

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Should I just order my gown online??
    It's working out to be cheaper from Ryder & Aimes than my college discount :confused:
    There's another outfitter for Cambridge college gowns and theirs is more expensive (but better quality) than R & A's. But almost all students I know got theirs from R & A (or their college sold theirs at the beginning of the fresher's week).
    It's all black, and they're mostly drunk when they're wearing it at formals , so nobody cares (or notice) about the quality of gowns others wear.

But JCR usually sell second-hand gowns they got from graduates at much cheaper price, so that's another option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Platopus)
    Hey everyone, I know I'm not a 2016 fresher anymore but I have a question for you all.

I recently bought a Pembroke College scarf:

https://www.ryderamies.co.uk/shop/pe...crested-scarf/

(Yeah, I know the price was )

However, a certain vincrows reliably informs me that to wear such a thing would be the ultimate faux pas!

Do any current Cambridge students wear their college scarf?

I'd only ever wear the scarf. I have no intention of buying any of the other tourist directed Cambridge apparel that seems to be available.
    Some people do. College stuff isn't nearly as bad as Cambridge logos.

I have a Cambridge hoodie exclusively for wearing outside Cambridge 😛

ReputationRep:
    I don't need one do I?
    You need to wear it for formals.
    And if you're planning to go to Christmas formal, it's very difficult to borrow one because most students'd go.

Also, if you're thinking of joining cricket club, it's very likely they have formals and swaps, so you'll need a gown for that too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)

Great. I don't want to look like an eejit but the scarfs are so nice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)

Cambridge hoodie (or other clothings/etc exclusively for being worn by outsiders.

Some students wear them.....but it looks so wrong.........;p

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vincrows)
    Cambridge hoodie (or other clothings/etc exclusively for being worn by outsiders.

Yeah... when you see someone in one it's like they've painted "TOURIST" on their back

There's another outfitter for Cambridge college gowns and theirs is more expensive (but better quality) than R & A's. But almost all students I know got theirs from R & A (or their college sold theirs at the beginning of the fresher's week).
    It's all black, and they're mostly drunk when they're wearing it at formals , so nobody cares (or notice) about the quality of gowns others wear.

But JCR usually sell second-hand gowns they got from graduates at much cheaper price, so that's another option.
    Yeah I think the other outfitters doing them for £45, Newnham will be doing it for £38, and Ryder and Amies are doing it for £30.
    Haha I'm sure you can't really tell the difference between quality anyway! Besides, I'm pretty used to poor quality clothes, it's fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    Yeah... when you see someone in one it's like they've painted "TOURIST" on their back
    .....and front.

Also......I'm not very ecstatic about the gradual increase in the number of students who wear an academic's cap for graduation ceremony....... (mostly international students???)
    Probably they've seen photos of throwing a cap at other uni's graduation, but it doesn't happen at Cambridge and it looks so out of place......

Please promise you won't!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Yeah I think the other outfitters doing them for £45, Newnham will be doing it for £38, and Ryder and Amies are doing it for £30.
    Haha I'm sure you can't really tell the difference between quality anyway! Besides, I'm pretty used to poor quality clothes, it's fine
    Yeah, probably Newnham gets it from the expensive one (Forgot the name....).
    I mean, you only wear it a few times a term, at most.
    My daughter probably wore it more than average because she went to quite a few formals, but no wear & tear at all after 3 years.
    And check with JCR if they have any second-hand ones for sale. Because it really doesn't get worn, the quality should be quite good, too.

ReputationRep:
    .....and front.

Also......I'm not very ecstatic about the gradual increase in the number of students who wear an academic's cap for graduation ceremony....... (mostly international students???)
    Probably they've seen photos of throwing a cap at other uni's graduation, but it doesn't happen at Cambridge and it looks so out of place......

Please promise you won't!!
    I won't. I'm looking forward to putting the white tie and fur lined hood on though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    I won't. I'm looking forward to putting the white tie and fur lined hood on though!
    It seems the white tie demands some sort of skill and lots of patient to put it on properly.......
    Well, you have two years to practice it.

The hood is a bit expensive to hire, just for a few weeks.

And pray it won't be the hottest day of the year on your graduation day!

ReputationRep:

Even the scarfs? Sniff I like mine so much. I will never trust another word my mum says. She assured me that wearing your college's scarf was normal practise during her time at the other place, back in the day. Grrr.

I bet I'm sexist now aswell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    PRSOM

ReputationRep:
    Even the scarfs? Sniff I like mine so much. I will never trust another word my mum says. She assured me that wearing your college's scarf was normal practise during her time at the other place, back in the day. Grrr.
    University scarf? Unless you're a blue, yes......
    But college scarves are fine. Many students wears it.

ReputationRep:
    University scarf? Unless you're a blue, yes......
    But college scarves are fine. Many students wears it.
    So, my Pembroke College scarf would be OK?

Because it's so preeettttyyyyyyy

ReputationRep:
    So, my Pembroke College scarf would be OK?

Because it's so preeettttyyyyyyy
    As long as it's genuine Pembroke design, that's fine.

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: November 26, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.