Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiningmer)
    Portugal? Lol I dunno. My main reason for wanting to go to the UK it's because ever since I was little and first went to London I always wanted to live there :love:
    And I know this may sound stupid, but I'm so tired of living here, I need a change of air. And new experiences...
    It would be a lot cheaper for me as well lol, but who cares right? :p:
    So why do you want to get out of Germany?

For different reasons, some a similar to yours However I've only been to the UK once (London, last summer when I had already thought about going there to study). The main reason is that there is only one university in Germany that offers a degree in International Relations and non where it's possible combine Politics with Psychlogy like the Durham and Glasgow degrees I applied to do.
    Furthermore it's just that I want to get out of here, too. I mean Germany is fine, but during my exchange year in the US I realized many other places are fine, too :yep: The third reason is the fact that I feel studying in the UK will just be of a higher quality, because the seem to have better facilities, lectures, student/staff raitios, teaching, research etc. German students are really upset about studying in Germany at the moment, because they have difficulties changing to the Bachelor/Master system and there are too many students on one course in many universities. Plus the disability support is also better in GB. I'm only hearing impaired and I cope quite well with it, but it is still a disability that has to be taken care of, because I'll need a note taker for example.

I'm sure we're doing the right thing :yep:

PS: I'm so proud of myself, I didn't check track yet! :eek: I'm trying to keep myself from becoming addicted. I'm going to check now, though...

Edit:

OH MY GOSH, I have an offer from my joint first choice!!!!!! Sheffield!!! :woo: It's a LOT higher than expected though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la_mariposa)
    For different reasons, some a similar to yours However I've only been to the UK once (London, last summer when I had already thought about going there to study). The main reason is that there is only one university in Germany that offers a degree in International Relations and non where it's possible combine Politics with Psychlogy like the Durham and Glasgow degrees I applied to do.
    Furthermore it's just that I want to get out of here, too. I mean Germany is fine, but during my exchange year in the US I realized many other places are fine, too :yep: The third reason is the fact that I feel studying in the UK will just be of a higher quality, because the seem to have better facilities, lectures, student/staff raitios, teaching, research etc. German students are really upset about studying in Germany at the moment, because they have difficulties changing to the Bachelor/Master system and there are too many students on one course in many universities. Plus the disability support is also better in GB. I'm only hearing impaired and I cope quite well with it, but it is still a disability that has to be taken care of, because I'll need a note taker for example.

I'm sure we're doing the right thing :yep:

PS: I'm so proud of myself, I didn't check track yet! :eek: I'm trying to keep myself from becoming addicted. I'm going to check now, though...

Edit:

OH MY GOSH, I have an offer from my joint first choice!!!!!! Sheffield!!! :woo: It's a LOT higher than expected though
    Of course we're doing the right thing! I need to keep thinking and re-thinking if this is the right thing to do because my parents will be really mad at me if I go, but it is. And the student/teacher is definitely better

Yhey congrats! :woo: I'm sure you'll make it though. At least now you have a goal you can focus on - better than no offer right? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Im still waiting to hear from Sheffield Hallam they are my first choice and i have applied for 2 different courses there. It will have been 4 weeks tomorrow i sent it off and im getting really worried
    how long did it take hallam to get in touch with anyone else?

ReputationRep:
    Of course we're doing the right thing! I need to keep thinking and re-thinking if this is the right thing to do because my parents will be really mad at me if I go, but it is. And the student/teacher is definitely better

Yhey congrats! :woo: I'm sure you'll make it though. At least now you have a goal you can focus on - better than no offer right? :p:

Ow.... why don't your parents want you to go? I mean mine would probably rather have me stay here, too, but they know that it's what I want and therefore they support me.

Unfortunately I'm not sure I'll meet that offer, but I'll work even harder now.

I'm sure you will get an offer soon! :yep: I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Sheffield and Glasgow are both known for getting back at their students quite quickly and I'm sure I'll have to wait some time for my next answer. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I gave into the pressure, ignored my own advice and checked track. Looking up uni's for my sister who want's to do law any advice. somewhere bbc region thanks.
    back on topic. why does it take so long? argh

ReputationRep:
    lol xD Be patient, patience is a virtue. :P My first offer came back 3 weeks after I sent it. Then 2 more came the week after, now i'm waiting on 2 more.

You have to bare in mind that Universities don't have to reply until February/March-ish time

ReputationRep:
    Ow.... why don't your parents want you to go? I mean mine would probably rather have me stay here, too, but they know that it's what I want and therefore they support me.

Unfortunately I'm not sure I'll meet that offer, but I'll work even harder now.

I'm sure you will get an offer soon! :yep: I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Sheffield and Glasgow are both known for getting back at their students quite quickly and I'm sure I'll have to wait some time for my next answer. :rolleyes:
    They think something could happen to me over there and I would have no support. I think they underestimate me. I'm a lot more responsible and mature than I let them know.
    I just got my Welcome Letter from UCAS... Nothing special in there though :rolleyes:

Thanks I'll have my fingers crossed for you to manage the grades you need hehe. That's what I'm afraid of, though. That I get an offer to Nott so high I could never meet. It's motivating up until a certain point then it's just downright nerve racking (at least for me... I'm always scared of English tests because I'm afraid of breaking my 19/20 out of 20 strike )
    Regardless, I have a feeling you'll get it. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    trust me when I say be patient, I mean i know im not one to speak as I have been checking my e-mails and track possibly 10 times a day since i sent my application on friday, but from what I have learnt over these past four days is that getting yourself worked up and anxious is not good if you want to keep in touch about this matter or anything (that goes for all people in the same situation), just send me a message and we can have a chat
    hope that helps
    Chris

ReputationRep:
    when you'r only applying to one course waiting starts to turn into a nightmare. I know people applying for the same course who already have offers. but im going to be good and not check track. just wait for an email hopefullly before Xmas

ReputationRep:
    Next week it will be 2 full months since I sent in my application and still no offers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by synvilla)
    Next week it will be 2 full months since I sent in my application and still no offers
    You applied only to Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    They think something could happen to me over there and I would have no support. I think they underestimate me. I'm a lot more responsible and mature than I let them know.
    I just got my Welcome Letter from UCAS... Nothing special in there though :rolleyes:

Thanks I'll have my fingers crossed for you to manage the grades you need hehe. That's what I'm afraid of, though. That I get an offer to Nott so high I could never meet. It's motivating up until a certain point then it's just downright nerve racking (at least for me... I'm always scared of English tests because I'm afraid of breaking my 19/20 out of 20 strike )
    Regardless, I have a feeling you'll get it. :yep:

If something was going to happen I'm sure that there'd be lots of people to support you. TTell them if you were staying in Portugal you probably would move out and not visit university in your hometown, too... :rolleyes: And they can still hop on a plane to England in case something does happen - that doesn't take longer than ´going through half the country by car

I know that, I had similar strike in Geography, I didn't manage to keep that one up... :rolleyes: However it doesn't really matter in the end, because I still got a good grade :rolleyes: I wish I'd share your optimism, but thanks I'm worried about the Nottingham offer (if I get one at all), too :eek:
    They ask for AAA in English grades, while Sheffield only asks for AAB and they translated that with 1.3??? (which also is a standard offer for German applicants Cambridge and St. Andrews according to their websites...). I really don't understand why it's that high

ReputationRep:
    Ergh, I'm nervoussss.
    Recieved acknowledgements from Nottingham, Edinburgh and St Andrews, but nothing from Glasgow or Dundee.
    Does anyone know how long they generally take to make a decision? I sent my application off on the 30th November and the wait is killing me already !

All I can tell you is that St Andrews don't even look at UK/EU applications until after the January deadline .

Good luck!

I only have two more replies yet to get :woo:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cassandraleighanne)
    Ergh, I'm nervoussss.
    Recieved acknowledgements from Nottingham, Edinburgh and St Andrews, but nothing from Glasgow or Dundee.
    Does anyone know how long they generally take to make a decision? I sent my application off on the 30th November and the wait is killing me already !

I haven't received an acknowledgement from Nottinghab yet And my application was processed on the 17th! However Glasgow is really quick, they gave me an offer after 10 days and they don't send acknowledgements. What course are you applying for?

ReputationRep:
    I haven't received an acknowledgement from Nottinghab yet And my application was processed on the 17th! However Glasgow is really quick, they gave me an offer after 10 days and they don't send acknowledgements. What course are you applying for?

I'm applying for a Psychology and Philosophy
    I'll be counting down now until 10 days have passed, if i haven't heard from glasgow by then I'll start the panic again :')
    glasgows my first choice

Oh dear, i wonder why you haven't heard from nottingham yet !!
    i got an acknowledgement from them the day after I sent my application.
    I keep hearing people saying no news is good news though! so things should be okay
    have you emailed them to ask if they've recieved your application?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cassandraleighanne)
    I'm applying for a Psychology and Philosophy
    I'll be counting down now until 10 days have passed, if i haven't heard from glasgow by then I'll start the panic again :')
    glasgows my first choice

Oh dear, i wonder why you haven't heard from nottingham yet !!
    i got an acknowledgement from them the day after I sent my application.
    I keep hearing people saying no news is good news though! so things should be okay
    have you emailed them to ask if they've recieved your application?

Psychology is also part of my degree and as I said they were quite quick, I wouldn't worry if it takes a little longer though. I've seen people on here who have waited longer for a response from Glasgow and they still got an offer. And I would expect JH possibly to take longer, because 2 departments have to see your application.

Yeah, I'm wondering, too. How could they not have my application, the others obviously got it, too. I already thought about emailing them because they seem to be so quick with acknowledgements in most cases, but I didn't want to sound too impatient :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    No sign of replies for me just yet..I've heard UAL don't start sending out offers til well after the deadline, but many of my friends have already got interviews for Bournemouth and UCA. I'm not sure when to expect anything from any of the others, but the wait really is driving me crazy.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, it's been two weeks already and I still haven't heard anything from Nottingham, so you're not alone :P

ReputationRep:
    If something was going to happen I'm sure that there'd be lots of people to support you. TTell them if you were staying in Portugal you probably would move out and not visit university in your hometown, too... :rolleyes: And they can still hop on a plane to England in case something does happen - that doesn't take longer than ´going through half the country by car

I know that, I had similar strike in Geography, I didn't manage to keep that one up... :rolleyes: However it doesn't really matter in the end, because I still got a good grade :rolleyes: I wish I'd share your optimism, but thanks I'm worried about the Nottingham offer (if I get one at all), too :eek:
    They ask for AAA in English grades, while Sheffield only asks for AAB and they translated that with 1.3??? (which also is a standard offer for German applicants Cambridge and St. Andrews according to their websites...). I really don't understand why it's that high
    Maybe you should e-mail the Nott admisions department just in case. I'm sure they have you're application though, I mean those things don't really get lost, right?
    And don't forget you can still get an offer even if you don't meet the grade... I'd say you should contact them and ask but I am afraid it could give them the wrong image about you.
    You do have another offer, though, and most probably more to come, so don't worry (because I sure am panicking for both of us :eek3: )

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.