Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lumi Nous)
    And I've got a friend in Jesus

(I don't, but intend to find one so I can carry on making Jesus jokes)
    Apparently every Christmas they get loads of 'Is that Jesus? Happy birthday to you...' phonecalls. :p:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oxford ComLab)
    Quantum is only available to Maths and Comp Sci students; not straight Computer Science students.

There's high-level information about our courses on the admissions site, but if you want to dig into more detail, most of the existing student pages are available publicly. http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/teaching/mcs/ and http://www.comlab.ox.ac.uk/teaching/bacompsci/
    Moderations refer to your first year; Parts A, B & C to the 2nd, 3rd and optional 4th years.

Hope that helps
    Thanks for that!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know if we're supposed to get any letters about accommodation and all that, or is it all saved until after results.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blergh22)
    Anyone know if we're supposed to get any letters about accommodation and all that, or is it all saved until after results.
    I received a letter from my college (Keble) last week regarding the different types of accommodation and the various price bands they fall into.

My offer is conditional so maybe, the letters about accommodation vary from college to college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blergh22)
    My offer's from St Hugh's, and I haven't had anything. I joined the facebook group (risky! Get me, living life on the wild side!) and it seems as if they don't send anything until after results. xx

ReputationRep:
    My offer's from Balliol, and I've got nothing either. Do we have to book accommodation, or is that done automatically?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rohitronaldo)
    I received a letter from my college (Keble) last week regarding the different types of accommodation and the various price bands they fall into.

My offer is conditional so maybe, the letters about accommodation vary from college to college?
    ME TOO.
    That may be because I also have a conditional for Keble

You've probably mentioned this before, but I'm not a fan of trawling through the many many pages of thread...what subject for? Also, what band/type of accommodation are you thinking about? All I know is I'd realllllly like somewhere old!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flywithemma)
    ME TOO.
    That may be because I also have a conditional for Keble

You've probably mentioned this before, but I'm not a fan of trawling through the many many pages of thread...what subject for? Also, what band/type of accommodation are you thinking about? All I know is I'd realllllly like somewhere old!
    Economics and Management.

Haha quite undecided about accommodation right now. Probably consult a couple of friends up at Oxford before deciding. It would be quite depressing to miss the conditions after going through all this

From what I read of their letter, en-suite is mostly taken up by 2nd years. That only leaves the shared en-suite rooms, superior rooms. I am not quite sure about the "facing street" and the "facing quad rooms". Ideally, I would like a room facing the quad but is it worth paying the extra 200 pounds? Can't help but perceive everything from an economic standpoint

Which room type are you planning on taking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thesinginggirl)
    My offer's from Balliol, and I've got nothing either. Do we have to book accommodation, or is that done automatically?
    It depends. Does Balliol have banded accommodation or do you pay the same regardless of what room you get? If it's the latter you will probably just be allocated a room for your first year. If there are price bands then I would imagine you will be given the chance to choose which one you would like. There's no hurry, though, so don't worry about not having heard anything!

ReputationRep:
    Economics and Management.

Haha quite undecided about accommodation right now. Probably consult a couple of friends up at Oxford before deciding. It would be quite depressing to miss the conditions after going through all this

From what I read of their letter, en-suite is mostly taken up by 2nd years. That only leaves the shared en-suite rooms, superior rooms. I am not quite sure about the "facing street" and the "facing quad rooms". Ideally, I would like a room facing the quad but is it worth paying the extra 200 pounds? Can't help but perceive everything from an economic standpoint

Ah, cool. Sadly all the people I know in Oxford are either finalists, who probably have way too much on their plate this year to show me round a college which isn't theirs, or are people I really don't know well enough to ask if they'd show me around. It's also quite far/expensive for me to get there...

And hehe. I'm pretty sure I'd like 'facing quad' too...I was thinking either a superior room or a Band D shared en suite. They're both the same price, which is covered by the maintenance loan...so I'm not sure. From what I can tell, the only difference is that the Superior has a fridge and a washbasin?

I also, perhaps foolishly, really want a room in an old bit of the college. (perhaps I can't help but looking at things from a historical point of view? ) I'm not sure which one of these options will mean I'm more likely to be in an old building though...

ReputationRep:
    Just found this thread =D

Chemistry at Exeter! Anybody else?
    Just got my reading list, it looks like I'm not going outside this summer.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Keble people
    I have to say I'm quite glad that they've sent us accommodation papers this early, I wasn't expecting anything until the summer..
    anyway, I'm really quite undecided which room type to take, do you guys think I could also tick 2 boxes and put "or" between them to show that I like the 2 types equally well, or does that make the administration work even harder? girls and decision making and if we can't get the type of room we choose, do they just assign any random room to you? I'm kind of worried about that, because as they say second years take most of the ensuite rooms I'm not even sure it's worth a shot choosing an ensuite one.. hmmm...

You will get your grades I'm very positive about that *spreading some optimism* just hang in there

(Original post by flywithemma)
    Ah, cool. Sadly all the people I know in Oxford are either finalists, who probably have way too much on their plate this year to show me round a college which isn't theirs, or are people I really don't know well enough to ask if they'd show me around. It's also quite far/expensive for me to get there...

And hehe. I'm pretty sure I'd like 'facing quad' too...I was thinking either a superior room or a Band D shared en suite. They're both the same price, which is covered by the maintenance loan...so I'm not sure. From what I can tell, the only difference is that the Superior has a fridge and a washbasin?

I also, perhaps foolishly, really want a room in an old bit of the college. (perhaps I can't help but looking at things from a historical point of view? ) I'm not sure which one of these options will mean I'm more likely to be in an old building though...
    So you weren't there for the interviews then I guess? During my stay there in December I had an amazing room hehe it was ensuite and in the older part of the college, so I totally get why you would want a room in an old building, it gives more of an Oxford feel The only negative point was probably that it was just next to the chapel, so you could hear all the singing the room was street faced, so the windows are milk glassy so that people couldn't look into your room from the outside. Oh and, girls usually don't get rooms on the ground floor.. security reasons probably, don't really know.. Good for us I guess I'd say that accommodation at Keble is pretty decent from what I've seen, some other interviewees got huge rooms in the newer part of the college with fridge and microwave and a double bed but I'm pretty sure those aren't for undergrads

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lalaberlin)
    So you weren't there for the interviews then I guess? During my stay there in December I had an amazing room hehe it was ensuite and in the older part of the college, so I totally get why you would want a room in an old building, it gives more of an Oxford feel The only negative point was probably that it was just next to the chapel, so you could hear all the singing the room was street faced, so the windows are milk glassy so that people couldn't look into your room from the outside. Oh and, girls usually don't get rooms on the ground floor.. security reasons probably, don't really know.. Good for us I guess I'd say that accommodation at Keble is pretty decent from what I've seen, some other interviewees got huge rooms in the newer part of the college with fridge and microwave and a double bed but I'm pretty sure those aren't for undergrads
    I wasn't, although not because of distance, but because I originally applied to New, and got pooled. Thinking about it, compared to some people (aka internationals, and even people from Scotland) I don't really live THAT far away/it's not THAT expensive. It's just everyone I met during interviews seemed to be from London, which is so much closer than Northumberland!
    And ah cool. The singing actually sounds quite nice, as long as it wasn't at inconvenient times

And WOW.

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I was just about to fill out my student finance application, and it wants the date for the start of the course, and the end of it.
    So I was wondering, UCAS says that the course starts on October 1st, but freshers starts on October 2nd right? So which one do I put, what has everyone else put? Also, we only need a month and year of the end date, so I'm guessing it's June as that's the end of Trinity term.
    Thank you to anyone who can help! I feel so silly
    On a more serious note, is everyone going to be cheering for Oxford later in the boat race? :grin:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendan.)
    Hi! I was just about to fill out my student finance application, and it wants the date for the start of the course, and the end of it.
    So I was wondering, UCAS says that the course starts on October 1st, but freshers starts on October 2nd right? So which one do I put, what has everyone else put? Also, we only need a month and year of the end date, so I'm guessing it's June as that's the end of Trinity term.
    On a more serious note, is everyone going to be cheering for Oxford later in the boat race? :grin:
    I put 1st October 2011, and June 2014 (I e-mailed Ruskin - the fine art department - to clarify this, and I'm assuming most other courses will finish the same time).

And I am getting pretty excited about the boat race! It's so cool being able to cheer them on actually knowing I'll be at Oxford in a few months!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brendan.)
    I'm putting 1st October 2011 and June 2015 so I'd assume it's the same for Biochemistry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -mai-)
    I put 1st October 2011, and June 2014 (I e-mailed Ruskin - the fine art department - to clarify this, and I'm assuming most other courses will finish the same time).

And I am getting pretty excited about the boat race! It's so cool being able to cheer them on actually knowing I'll be at Oxford in a few months!
    Thanks! I didn't think about emailing the department. I'm guessing fine art is a 3 year course, in which case I'll be finishing in 2015 as biochemistry is four years. 2014 though, that sounds so far away!
    I know! I really hope Oxford win, and it's weird that this time next year we could be cheering on Oxford when actually being part of the university!

(Original post by Salliana23)
    I'm putting 1st October 2011 and June 2015 so I'd assume it's the same for Biochemistry
    Thanks! That settles it then. :grin:

ReputationRep:
    Woop woop! Boat race

Defo going to be there next year.

ReputationRep:
    Is it wrong to be proud of the rowers when I don't even go to Oxford yet?

ReputationRep:
    Just posted eight pictures of my beautiful face (:rolleyes:)to the Christ Church admissions office, on top of the six that Hertford asked for pre-interview. I'm half expecting to visit Oxford and find pictures of myself on every street corner

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.