Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Knogle)
    Probably not, but you might be required to sit for an english proficiency test (e.g. IELTS) once you've secured your offer.
    When is that necessary? LSE asks you to sit for the IELTS?

ReputationRep:
    VJC's open house will be on 6 Oct 2007 this year! ALL are welcome (:!

ReputationRep:
    haha.
    Just want to enquire if any male Singaporean in pre-u 2 now is going to apply to UK universities through UCAS this year?

ReputationRep:
    Hello, can someone help me out here.

Considering that IP schools have no O levels, and instead have syllabus that are pitched at a much higher level, how exactly do british schools look at their grades? It's not quite fair to say that an O levl student with 9A1's is better than a IP student who does not get such a straight A record?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crayons)
    Hello, can someone help me out here.

Considering that IP schools have no O levels, and instead have syllabus that are pitched at a much higher level, how exactly do british schools look at their grades? It's not quite fair to say that an O levl student with 9A1's is better than a IP student who does not get such a straight A record?
    I do actually think that the British Council in Singapore takes pains in briefing UK institutions of the revised education system in Singapore and new examination formats. You need not worry about this; UK universities themselves have an interest in Singaporean/overseas students and their admissions tutors will be aware of the disparity in standards when making their decisions. That said, the pressure is still on for IP students to excel in their A Levels since they have no other formal qualification to back it up.

ReputationRep:
    yes totally true. But i think it reeks that IP students have to present a list of A's and B's [the average one].

ReputationRep:
    My school provided all IP students with a nice write up on the program, how it is targeted only for the top 10% of the cohort and pitched at a higher level than O levels.

ReputationRep:
    Hm yeah, they do that for me too.

Anyway, for IP students, do we have to submit sec 4 grades on UCAS?

ReputationRep:
    I hardly think that's relevant because UCAS is usually concerned with national/public examinations through which they can get a better assessment of your performance across the population, but you're much better off consulting the UK applications I/C of your school who may have been briefed on any changes to the application process for IP students.

That letter will surely come in handy; you can always mail it separately to all the universities you are applying to as "supporting material" but make sure that your details are clearly stated, that the letter is clearly addressed, and that the other party eventually does receive it (calling to confirm is best, as it also shoes sincerity and enthusiasm).

ReputationRep:
    anyone got interviewed by oxbridge for this year?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nutter)
    I hardly think that's relevant because UCAS is usually concerned with national/public examinations through which they can get a better assessment of your performance across the population, but you're much better off consulting the UK applications I/C of your school who may have been briefed on any changes to the application process for IP students.

That letter will surely come in handy; you can always mail it separately to all the universities you are applying to as "supporting material" but make sure that your details are clearly stated, that the letter is clearly addressed, and that the other party eventually does receive it (calling to confirm is best, as it also shoes sincerity and enthusiasm).
    Oh so UCAS doesn't want it? Brilliant. because I think it's totally unfair. any idea whether top unis in UK would want it?

ReputationRep:
    They'd be interested in it, especially if the government allows it as an alternative to taking national exams. It sounds more prestigious.

ReputationRep:
    Lol to the loser who neg rep, don't be such a sore.

And I was merely telling you what the school write up said. Lmao.

Probably some guy who got rejected from an IP school.

ReputationRep:
    Lol. well yes it could be prestigious and good, but could also work against you.

ReputationRep:
    this thread still lives!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hey...can I just ask. For the humanities scholarship that MOE awards to students going into JC, how do IP students apply? And like how are the grades looked at? My juniors are applying and haven't been given any information. And I can't quite help 'em either cuz i dunno

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crayons)
    Hey...can I just ask. For the humanities scholarship that MOE awards to students going into JC, how do IP students apply? And like how are the grades looked at?
    Honestly, you'd be much better off asking your school's programme administrator or principal directly, or should you wish to remain anonymous, e-mail MOE. They're the people you need to get answers to non-controversial, matter-of-fact questions; the civil service is great as far as that's concerned. TSR users are usually either already at UK universities or near the application stage.

ReputationRep:
    To the Lamo who neg repped me with this message:"The contents in IP schools are nowhere near the standards at top British schools. Essentially, all the schools in Singapore are still below the top British standards. Think before you post nonsense again."

You might want to read the message again? I was talking about IP VS O level taking schools within Singapore. If you can't read properly, top spewing rubbish.

Also, you might want to know that the strictly speaking in terms of syllabus, Singaporean schools cover practically double the content that British schools do. And yes that's all Singaporean schools offering O levels, in comparison with the final examinations [GCSE's] offered by Wycombe Abbey, Eton, Cheltenham Ladies', St. Swithuns and even the top Westminster. And yes, I have seen these school brochures and have looked at the individual syllabuses. A friend was migrating to England and got all these. She was elated because she had covered some stuff in O's that she is now being taught in the Lower Sixth.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah crayons, some lamo negged me too.
    Come on, Singaporeans who struggle coping with A levels here go to UK and get 5As no problem.

Get over losing to Asians who pwn your classes.

ReputationRep:
    Lol negged again.
    Some dude has issues losing out to Asians in their class, obviously.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.