Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel Physics Unit 2 "Physics at work" June 2013 watch

• View Poll Results: The last question - Does resistance increase or decrease?
    It increases ( using V=IR or some other method)
    70.73%
    It decreases using the 'lattice vibrations' theory
    29.27%

ReputationRep:
    All what we can do is wait ...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Will someone post the ms?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ALevel96)
    someone posted a link to it on the AS/A level results day :P

ReputationRep:
    Do you know which page?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ALevel96)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2412461

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x0x)
    Yeah sounds right to me
    Thank god I didn't have to sit unit one again, that paper turned me into a pessimistic student

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Unit 1 was okay for me...but I ran out of time:banghead::banghead:.
    I left out questions worth about 15 marks :banghead::banghead:......
    I never expected a Marathon. :banghead::banghead:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheKingOfTSR)
    Unit 1 was okay for me...but I ran out of time:banghead::banghead:.
    I left out questions worth about 15 marks :banghead::banghead:......
    I never expected a Marathon. :banghead::banghead:
    I reallly hope that the grade boundaries are really low for both papers
    Physics unit 1 is so hard to prepare for! I mean, the difficulty of the questions increased so much after Jan 2013

ReputationRep:
    Am I the only one who thinks mark scheme is REALLY harsh? Like how it says we have to have said 'a packet of ELECTROMAGNETIC energy' and just loads of little things like that. Edexcel messed up AS Physics this year Do you guys really think full UMS will be 70+?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSE-help)
    Am I the only one who thinks mark scheme is REALLY harsh? Like how it says we have to have said 'a packet of ELECTROMAGNETIC energy' and just loads of little things like that. Edexcel messed up AS Physics this year Do you guys really think full UMS will be 70+?
    I think it is going to be in or below 70.
    Perhaps they might pity us (no Jan exams, less resits etc) and change the rules or something. 66 would be fine. But 71 is not impossible

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, i don't think it was that harsh Unit 2 has always been a unit about learning definitiois so that you can write them out succinctly and accurately during the exam.However, i do agree that it is extremely annoying since they change the answers to the same question from year to year. In a previous past paper there was a question worth 1 mark about defining what a photon is but since it was just one mark, saying that it is a discrete packet of energy is sufficient.
    I don't think that the full UMS will be 70+ - perhaps in the range 64-68 ?
    Good luck, i hope you get 120 UMS let me know what you get

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x0x)
    To be honest, i don't think it was that harsh Unit 2 has always been a unit about learning definitiois so that you can write them out succinctly and accurately during the exam.However, i do agree that it is extremely annoying since they change the answers to the same question from year to year. In a previous past paper there was a question worth 1 mark about defining what a photon is but since it was just one mark, saying that it is a discrete packet of energy is sufficient.
    I don't think that the full UMS will be 70+ - perhaps in the range 64-68 ?
    Good luck, i hope you get 120 UMS let me know what you get
    Thanks I just need 240 because I won't be taking Physics to A2 next year. Looking at the mark schemes, I got something like 60/80 in Unit 1 and 72/80 in Unit 2. Hope that is enough to get me over the A boundary

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I just need 240 because I won't be taking Physics to A2 next year. Looking at the mark schemes, I got something like 60/80 in Unit 1 and 72/80 in Unit 2. Hope that is enough to get me over the A boundary
    Provided that your marking wasn't very generous I'd say your unit 2 is definitely an A - I guess you'll get something around 108+ UMS for that (based on the difficulty of the paper ) but of course I may be wrong but it is a rough estimate. As for your unit 1 the paper was even harder so a score of 60 should at least give you 96 UMS ( an A)
    I wish you the very best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by x0x)
    Provided that your marking wasn't very generous I'd say your unit 2 is definitely an A - I guess you'll get something around 108+ UMS for that (based on the difficulty of the paper ) but of course I may be wrong but it is a rough estimate. As for your unit 1 the paper was even harder so a score of 60 should at least give you 96 UMS ( an A)
    I wish you the very best of luck!
    Yeah I know the 72 seems high but I worked the hardest for this paper, because physics was my killer subject throughout the year So I just hope the hard work paid off. The re-sit Unit 1 paper felt horrible, wouldn't be surprised with a B/C in that one.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I know the 72 seems high but I worked the hardest for this paper, because physics was my killer subject throughout the year So I just hope the hard work paid off. The re-sit Unit 1 paper felt horrible, wouldn't be surprised with a B/C in that one.
    I really hope it pays off.
    There are some students in my school who got high B's in unit 1 (Jan 2013 ) but they didn't resit the unit because they worked really hard preparing for unit 2. Don't worry, many people found paper 1 difficult - especially the CO2 stuff
    Let me know what you get in the end

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jaydude)
    I'm sure my answer is wrong, but worthy of some credit. If you look at the other posts, they did a negative straight line, non zero start. I did the same but with a positive gradient. Initially my graph was straight. It it curved at the top.

I done a curve at top because I thought as voltage increases, eventually resistance will become so small, current will be much greater. I can't explain this properly but I did this cause I saw it in past papers.

Y intercept is emf. That is worthy of credit.
    I said th gradient represented R (not sure if this is correct)
    I then said to get r, I rearrange the equation you just wrote to get r. ( not sure if correct)

As to if you would get some marks, did you write anything else? Such as what I did and other people did who did the negative gradeint graph? Or something similar?
    If so, then it must likely has gotten a minimum of 2 marks.

Finger crossed for results we want!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Only just noticed this!! I wrote E=IR + Ir, then E= I(R+r) and that y intercept= EMF and gradient=-r. I draw a curved line with a negative gradient. Hopefully I'll get a few for that!

ReputationRep:
    After looking at the mark scheme I am very angry about the last question. They should have said it was a filament bulb. I know the theory behind that. ****ers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StephenNaulls)
    After looking at the mark scheme I am very angry about the last question. They should have said it was a filament bulb. I know the theory behind that. ****ers.
    Me too. That question was very flawed. It stunned me for 2 mins.
    The questions could be approached in 3 angles ......stupid ...the **** :mad::mad::mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheKingOfTSR)
    Me too. That question was very flawed. It stunned me for 2 mins.
    The questions could be approached in 3 angles ......stupid ...the **** :mad::mad::mad:
    That's 4 marks down the drain. Goodbye A in Physics.

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely despised Physics. I found this unit to be the worst (how to apply all of the equations really bugged me, I struggled alot with the Forces topic).
    Did anyone do unit 3 too? So glad I'm not doing it ever again. Be lucky to get a B cos I cocked up on the exams

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CelineBean)
    I absolutely despised Physics. I found this unit to be the worst (how to apply all of the equations really bugged me, I struggled alot with the Forces topic).
    Did anyone do unit 3 too? So glad I'm not doing it ever again. Be lucky to get a B cos I cocked up on the exams
    I did unit 3..but the written paper.
    Hopefully I could bag a 60 UMS on it ..perhaps 58 at least.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.