Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Monreal, arteta, benayoun, santos and mertesacker in the past year or two have been on deadline day. I think I'm missing someone but that's clearly not the case. He identifies a target and gets the best deal for the club depending on their ability. He knows where to improve but he will not break the bank to improve it. That's what you really mean. He didn't see the point of getting a 26 year old keeper when he has a keeper from the youth academy that has come through pretty well.
    I was waiting for someone to mention those names. Monreal was brought in because of Gibbs's injury against Liverpool and his frequent injury problems. Have you forgotten who left in the summer of 2011? Clichy, Fàbregas, Eboué, Nasri had all left, we didn't expect to lose any of them, we couldn't continue with the rest of the season with some of our best players gone. Wenger prefers to do his business early so the squad can jel. What I mean is if Wenger wanted Lloris he would be at arsenal, we never made a bid. Wenger didn't see it fit to bring him to arsenal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sevchenko)
    I was waiting for someone to mention those names. Monreal was brought in because of Gibbs's injury against Liverpool and his frequent injury problems. Have you forgotten who left in the summer of 2011? Clichy, Fàbregas, Eboué, Nasri had all left, we didn't expect to lose any of them, we couldn't continue with the rest of the season with some of our best players gone. Wenger prefers to do his business early so the squad can jel. What I mean is if Wenger wanted Lloris he would be at arsenal, we never made a bid. Wenger didn't see it fit to bring him to arsenal.
    You gotta be joking right?

Only someone retarded would not have seen them lot going, Eboue meant nothing he was more of a liability (knocking lucas over in the 101st minute). Nasri and clichy were both on the last year of their contract so if you cant see them going well shame on you, fabregas deal was expected the season before he left. It was just poor performance in the transfer market by the club tbh. We missed out on signing juan mata when his buy out clause was like 15mill for some reason then it increased to 25 and chelsea got involved from that point we were obviously going to loose out. In the end we bought 10mil 29 year old Arteta to replace fabregas lol.

ReputationRep:
    My problem is - when I look at the Arsenal squad, there isn't just one obvious area which needs improving, it's general improvement across the board.

You could do with a slighty better/improving GK.
    Your defence could be a lot more miserly.
    The midfield is okay but except for Wilshere, doesn't have a spark and doesn't have a physical prescences.
    Without RVP, the strikeforce isn't clinical.

The squad/current crop are good enough to challenge for the top4 but I wouldn't say good enough for a title push. Frankly I think I agree with Usmanov when he said that Arsenal have no superstars (I do think a couple of players could become superstars but I don't think any currently are on a sustained basis whether due inconsistency or injury).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommyjw)
    Rofl. Shambolic? No.
    For much of last season? No.

Media greatly exaggerated how poor his year was you obviously just follow that. He had issues settling in but after a few months he was fine, but the difference was the media circlejerk of him being unable to handle crosses never left him even when he made mistakes far less than those keepers around him.

The fact that he constantly performs better?
    Come on man, he's improved hugely but lets not pretend that De Gea wasnt literally being bullied around his own box. It went on for weeks and Fergie eventually dropped him.

De Gea's conceded 25 in 27 and Szcz 23 in 22, whilst DG plays for a significantly better performing team. Not saying Szczesny's been better this season because he hasnt been but is DeGea really as far ahead as you like to believe?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zerforax)
    My problem is - when I look at the Arsenal squad, there isn't just one obvious area which needs improving, it's general improvement across the board.

You could do with a slighty better/improving GK.
    Your defence could be a lot more miserly.
    The midfield is okay but except for Wilshere, doesn't have a spark and doesn't have a physical prescences.
    Without RVP, the strikeforce isn't clinical.

The squad/current crop are good enough to challenge for the top4 but I wouldn't say good enough for a title push. Frankly I think I agree with Usmanov when he said that Arsenal have no superstars (I do think a couple of players could become superstars but I don't think any currently are on a sustained basis whether due inconsistency or injury).
    This.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nice to know robben is leaving Bayern in the summer, I reckon we could afford his wages but he probably wont join because of the lack of success and the fact he would look pretty stupid in our football kit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abiraleft)
    The best example of? :p: We're just talking about whether Wenger tends to make signings early or late.
    Yeah I didn't read the conversation, mu bad I saw his name and had to complain. It's signings like him that make me think (obviously I'd be wrong) that Wenger doesn't really give a **** about our plummeting quality...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    Nice to know robben is leaving Bayern in the summer, I reckon we could afford his wages but he probably wont join because of the lack of success and the fact he would look pretty stupid in our football kit.
    He looks stupid in any football kit really... And do u mean Bayern? Or a different player?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dami_O)
    He looks stupid in any football kit really... And do u mean Bayern? Or a different player?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    not sure what you mean but i was talking about arsenal buying robben

gotta love usmanov slating kroenke and his ambition

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zürich)
    Come on man, he's improved hugely but lets not pretend that De Gea wasnt literally being bullied around his own box. It went on for weeks and Fergie eventually dropped him.
    For a few weeks? Well dam, thats literally most of the season isn't it?. Like i said

Doesn't matter that we've got one of the best 2nd GKs in Europe then.

De Gea's conceded 25 in 27 and Szcz 23 in 22, whilst DG plays for a significantly better performing team. Not saying Szczesny's been better this season because he hasnt been but is DeGea really as far ahead as you like to believe?
    Yes he has been, as do the players, as do the pundits etc.

Goals conceded are a better sign of defensive consistency than keeper ability. I can't believe you are trying to make a comparison using that? Keepers like Begovic and Mignolet have been better than Szcezsney this season but have conceded more

Harts conceded the least and he's been poor this season by his standard, quite a number of keepers have performed better imo, it just simply is not a logical direct comparison of a goalkeepers ability.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yaboy)
    not sure what you mean but i was talking about arsenal buying robben

gotta love usmanov slating kroenke and his ambition
    Because u wrote Dortmund instead of Bayern

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dami_O)
    Because u wrote Dortmund instead of Bayern

Posted from TSR Mobile
    yeh editted after

For a few weeks? Well dam, thats literally most of the season isn't it?. Like i said

Doesn't matter that we've got one of the best 2nd GKs in Europe then.

Yes he has been, as do the players, as do the pundits etc.

Goals conceded are a better sign of defensive consistency than keeper ability. I can't believe you are trying to make a comparison using that? Keepers like Begovic and Mignolet have been better than Szcezsney this season but have conceded more

Harts conceded the least and he's been poor this season by his standard, quite a number of keepers have performed better imo, it just simply is not a logical direct comparison of a goalkeepers ability.
    Both goalies are still crap. fergie will probably regret letting ben foster go, de gea is a bit too hollywood .

ReputationRep:
    De Gea > Szcezesny, by a lot.
    This. You can see that De Gea is real quality and will only gey better. Szcezsny will as well but at the moment he's way off De Gea.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Zerforax is spot on tbh. Young players who aren't superstars, have the potential to be quality but obviously aren't there yet. Monreal, cazorla are the only players in the arsenal squad that would be taken by a title winning team. Wilshere too but his injury problems and subsequently poor form is why he's not included.
    Need a new spine, maybe if they had van persie back this year we'd have seen a title challenge but it was never gonna happen with this squad. I still think that given time the majority of this squad could win the title but that'll take at least 2-3 years with the current crop assuming the rest don't improve.

Honestly walcott mugged you off. You're forced to keep him, he's on a big wage so will be a starter as well, he's not a good enough striker and he's keeping someone with the potential of chamberlain(who could potentially be as good as bale I feel) on the bench.

(Original post by sevchenko)
    Could have seen all of them going. Just poor transfer business and lack of ambition by the arsenal board. They knew they had the players for a top 4 place but didn't try to improve on the top 4 place.

(Original post by yaboy)
    yeh editted after

Both goalies are still crap. fergie will probably regret letting ben foster go, de gea is a bit too hollywood .
    Not even, if anything fergie regrets letting ron robert zieler go(apparently been quality for hannover) but not foster. Was too error prone for my liking and his boss games for birmingham two seasons ago were mainly because the whole squad was ****. Now he's doing ok I guess but he's not united quality.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't it amazing that Arsene keeps us in the top 4?

Name:  1367426558496.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  72.5 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jam277)
    Zerforax is spot on tbh. Reminds me of my team in FM 2 years ago. Young players who aren't superstars, have the potential to be quality but obviously aren't there yet. Monreal, cazorla are the only players in the arsenal squad that would be taken by a title winning team. Wilshere too but his injury problems and subsequently poor form is why he's not included.
    Need a new spine, maybe if they had van persie back this year we'd have seen a title challenge but it was never gonna happen with this squad. I still think that given time the majority of this squad could win the title but that'll take at least 2-3 years with the current crop assuming the rest don't improve.

Honestly walcott mugged you off. You're forced to keep him, he's on a big wage so will be a starter as well, he's not a good enough striker and he's keeping someone with the potential of chamberlain(who could potentially be as good as bale I feel) on the bench.

Could have seen all of them going. Just poor transfer business and lack of ambition by the arsenal board. They knew they had the players for a top 4 place but didn't try to improve on the top 4 place.

Not even, if anything fergie regrets letting ron robert zieler go(apparently been quality for hannover) but not foster. Was too error prone for my liking and his boss games for birmingham two seasons ago were mainly because the whole squad was ****. Now he's doing ok I guess but he's not united quality.
    Dude seriosuly, everytime you mention FM, I just ignore the rest of your post. Shame as you usually post decent ****. Stop mentioning FM :fuhrer:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    Dude seriosuly, everytime you mention FM, I just ignore the rest of your post. Shame as you usually post decent ****. Stop mentioning FM :fuhrer:
    :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sufistic)
    Isn't it amazing that Arsene keeps us in the top 4?

Name:  1367426558496.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  72.5 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wenger is amazing, Just look at Liverpool, they finished 3rd that season and won the CL 2 years before. 124 million pounds later look at them now they cant even finish above their rivals who's net spend is 2 mil. Its facts like this people needs to remember

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    The addiction is bad :lol:

ReputationRep:
    Can you guys chatting about De Gea/Szczesny actually make some points rather than just saying a paragraph long version of "nou"?

For instance: De Gea's long shot stopping is superb <insert examples>, whereas Szczesny's is pretty poor because he doesn't seem to move his feet <insert examples>.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 26, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.