Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mango93)
    It's best to email the PGCE admissions tutor or programme director of wherever you're applying and ask them. I emailed one of the universities and asked whether I could use the Head of Department of a school I volunteer in (because I rarely come into contact with the Headteacher!) and they said it was fine. So you never know!
    If I just got a reference from the deputy head, would they not accept it? Say like, if it did matter

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Just seen my first choice course on the gttr search thingy. I have a huge knott in my stomache now... This is it. Im so nervous about applying this year. I dont think id be able to do it again next year.

Apparently there is a subject knowledge test... My course at uni was a bit... Free spirited shall we say? Is there any advice I could have, on where I could find the subject knowledge I may need?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fabay)
    Would a deputy Headteacher be ok to use?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi guys...M confused now.My scene is...my first reference is a secondary school teacher where I have volunteered and had more duties to perform while second.reference is a headteacher of another school I volunteered. The reference requirement in Ucas say if reference is from a school, it should be a headteacher. So is it that my first reference is not right?? Can't I take a teacher as a reference?? Plz help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by billy bilo)
    Does anyone know any good websites or templates which can assist us with the personal statement? Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Our student room had good samples of PS...thathe may help...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by siffatsaad)
    Hi guys...M confused now.My scene is...my first reference is a secondary school teacher where I have volunteered and had more duties to perform while second.reference is a headteacher of another school I volunteered. The reference requirement in Ucas say if reference is from a school, it should be a headteacher. So is it that my first reference is not right?? Can't I take a teacher as a reference?? Plz help
    You only need one reference from your volunteering. In this case it would be best to keep the one from the head teacher and tell the one from the teacher you don't need them anymore. However you need to find an academic reference from university. This is a requirement, so if you make your application with the two references you've got now, you won't get a look because you don't have the required academic reference.

So basically, swap the one from the teacher for one from a tutor at uni and you're sorted

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,

I'm applying for the Secondary English PGCE and Schools Direct. However I have a 2:2. I have gone onto many university and school websites to check the entry requirements and they do state a 2:2. Even though they have stated this, I somehow feel like I'm not going to get accepted. Next week I'm due to start voluntary classroom observation for 8 days. After the 21st deadline, I have another 6 days lined up with 2 other schools. I have been an English tutor for 2 years. Hopefully this works in my favour

Anyone else got a 2:2 who has got accepted on a secondary English pgce/schools direct?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anisa-101)
    Hi Everyone,

I'm applying for the Secondary English PGCE and Schools Direct. However I have a 2:2. I have gone onto many university and school websites to check the entry requirements and they do state a 2:2. Even though they have stated this, I somehow feel like I'm not going to get accepted. Next week I'm due to start voluntary classroom observation for 8 days. After the 21st deadline, I have another 6 days lined up with 2 other schools. I have been an English tutor for 2 years. Hopefully this works in my favour

Anyone else got a 2:2 who has got accepted on a secondary English pgce/schools direct?
    Hi there,

Don't worry too much as like you say, a 2:2 is accepted however you may need to prove yourself more so in other areas.

Even though I have a 2:1 I didn't get brilliant A Level results so I feel the same way as you.

All you can do is make sure everything else is correct and on point. Your experience should be plenty!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    What relevant experience have you done so far?
    Hi.
    I've just completed two full weeks volunteering at a primary school and I go back whenever I've got free time. I'll go back full time after my exams in May.
    Before that, I volunteered in three secondary schools and another primary. But that was over the space of around 5 years. It did give me enough insight to know that primary is where I want to be.
    I also have children, so I'm pretty much involved in things like after school clubs and trips.
    You?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi There,

So I'm a third timer! Have applied for a PGCE twice before once for primary whilst I was in my final year of uni and retaking my maths GCSE and once for secondary. Was unsuccessful both times but have been interviewed three times so if any one has any questions feel free to ask about the process. I'm going into my third year of working in a school am currently working in a primary full time in London and before then worked as an LSA for a year in a secondary school and a TA in a primary for a year before. I have a 2:1 degree with hons and in all honesty am freaking out! If I don't get on this year I literally dont know what I am going to do. If anyone has any tips to strenghen my application I would love to hear. Sorry for the rant. Cannot wait for the 21st to come around :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cutebat)
    Hi There,

So I'm a third timer! Have applied for a PGCE twice before once for primary whilst I was in my final year of uni and retaking my maths GCSE and once for secondary. Was unsuccessful both times but have been interviewed three times so if any one has any questions feel free to ask about the process. I'm going into my third year of working in a school am currently working in a primary full time in London and before then worked as an LSA for a year in a secondary school and a TA in a primary for a year before. I have a 2:1 degree with hons and in all honesty am freaking out! If I don't get on this year I literally dont know what I am going to do. If anyone has any tips to strenghen my application I would love to hear. Sorry for the rant. Cannot wait for the 21st to come around :-)
    Oh my gosh your worrying me now! Do you know the reasons that you didn't get in both times?

Thanks for your support though!

All you can do is follow their requirements and explain yourself well I guess.

Have just booked my skills tests - nervous!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cutebat)
    Hi There,

Oh wow. Kudos to you for trying again. Knowing me I will give up if I don't get in this time which is my first.

Few questions if you don't mind
    -What are you applying for this time, and where?
    -What is your degree in?
    -Where do you think you went wrong?

I really hope you get in this time! You have so much experience and are clearly passionate about being a teacher if you're trying again, so I hope you get that passion across and get on a course!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by womanonamission)
    Hi there,

Don't worry too much as like you say, a 2:2 is accepted however you may need to prove yourself more so in other areas.

Even though I have a 2:1 I didn't get brilliant A Level results so I feel the same way as you.

All you can do is make sure everything else is correct and on point. Your experience should be plenty!
    Yeah I guess you're right. I will just have to sell myself as much as possible on the personal statement. Its so stressful because competition for Secondary English is pretty fierce :\

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fabay)
    If I just got a reference from the deputy head, would they not accept it? Say like, if it did matter

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well if you contacted them and they said it must be a head but then you applied without one anyway then it may look like you don't pay much attention to the rules (even if they don't connect you with your application, the rules are stated on the UCAS website).

The best thing to try is see whether the head is willing to approve a reference written by the deputy. Most organisations, schools etc have references signed by someone who didn't write them all... e.g. A-level teachers usually write part of a reference signed by the head of school. So hopefully the head will be happy to sign the reference written by the deputy.

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Well i finally finished my personal statement, thought it would calm me down once written but it's only made me more nervous! 2 weeks today guys!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swarfliam)
    Well i finally finished my personal statement, thought it would calm me down once written but it's only made me more nervous! 2 weeks today guys!
    I was the same when I finished mine! I just want to send it off because I keep changing little things around.. Too much re-reading lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpwxx)
    Well if you contacted them and they said it must be a head but then you applied without one anyway then it may look like you don't pay much attention to the rules (even if they don't connect you with your application, the rules are stated on the UCAS website).

The best thing to try is see whether the head is willing to approve a reference written by the deputy. Most organisations, schools etc have references signed by someone who didn't write them all... e.g. A-level teachers usually write part of a reference signed by the head of school. So hopefully the head will be happy to sign the reference written by the deputy.

xxx
    Ok, I think the head would do it but having had a reference already from the deputy I just thought that it would be ok.. Seen as she organised my placement. And she was really quick at sorting a reference for me lol. But I will contact the unis and see what's appropriate, then get in touch with the school. I hate asking for references.. I feel so cheeky and annoying lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fabay)
    Ok, I think the head would do it but having had a reference already from the deputy I just thought that it would be ok.. Seen as she organised my placement. And she was really quick at sorting a reference for me lol. But I will contact the unis and see what's appropriate, then get in touch with the school. I hate asking for references.. I feel so cheeky and annoying lol

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't feel cheeky... Think how many references the person you're asking must have had, so giving them out is kind of like paying that back

Xxx

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by womanonamission)
    Oh my gosh your worrying me now! Do you know the reasons that you didn't get in both times?

Thanks for your support though!

All you can do is follow their requirements and explain yourself well I guess.

Have just booked my skills tests - nervous!!
    Hi there I do yes the first time I was told as both my degree and maths gcse were pending I would be a stronger candidate the following year and then when I got my C in maths and my 2:1 it was because I wanted to teach history but my degree is ancient history with archaeology so they said I should do a masters in modern history even though I have an A at A-level and my degree covered loads of modern archaeology. But to be jonest history is very competetive there were only 13 places and over 150 applicants so to get an interview I was chuffed :-) you said youvr jyst booked your skills test but I dont think you can do that until youve applied officially so just double check that. What are you applying for? Good luck :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Oh wow. Kudos to you for trying again. Knowing me I will give up if I don't get in this time which is my first.

Few questions if you don't mind
    -What are you applying for this time, and where?
    -What is your degree in?
    -Where do you think you went wrong?

I really hope you get in this time! You have so much experience and are clearly passionate about being a teacher if you're trying again, so I hope you get that passion across and get on a course!
    Hey love your name! Im applying for pgce primary this year at st marys, Roehampton and kingston (
    I think) my degree in ancient history with archaeology and tbh I think the girst year both my degree and maths gcse
    Was pending and second time I was applying for secondary history competition was huge and only 13 spaces so to get an interview was huge. Thanks for your kind words are you a first timer? What are you applying for and where? :-)

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, three questions! First - I'm looking to apply to Exeter, Oxford Brookes and the Solent SCITT for Secondary English, but Exeter hasn't put themselves up on UCAS, does this mean they're not running the course this year? Second - is there anywhere I can put my ps up on here and have it reviewed? I'm almost down to finalising it, but want to know if I'm on the right track! Third - one of the references I'm thinking of using if the teacher from my work experience over the summer. Since then he's moved schools, but I'd really love to use him as I think he'll give me a good reference! I've just emailed the school asking for contact details, but how do I deal with it needed to go through the headteacher first if he's no longer at the school and I've never met the headteacher? Thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.