The Student Room Group

UCL Medicine Applicants 2014

Scroll to see replies

Got an offer today after an endless week of waiting :biggrin: So happy!

A tip for the interview... Show all your reasoning for BMAT and ethical scenario on the spot (and be honest, I said that after the BMAT I thought the point I made was not so good) and be confident while speaking, don't mumble and look the interviewers in their eyes. And smile a bit :biggrin: And don't worry if there's something more you could say, I definitely didn't say all I could! Best of luck!
Reply 1021
Original post by Andante22

A tip for the interview... Show all your reasoning for BMAT and ethical scenario on the spot (and be honest, I said that after the BMAT I thought the point I made was not so good) and be confident while speaking, don't mumble and look the interviewers in their eyes. And smile a bit :biggrin: And don't worry if there's something more you could say, I definitely didn't say all I could! Best of luck!

omg congrats! ! by ethical scenario do you mean they actually gave an ethical scenario or isit something ethical you wrote in the bmat essay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Got an interview for the 12th, home applicant! :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by nana96
omg congrats! ! by ethical scenario do you mean they actually gave an ethical scenario or isit something ethical you wrote in the bmat essay?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I had 2 questions you could consider ethical scenarios, one was definitely prepared in advance by the interviewers but wasn't ethical per se, rather refering to administrational side of issues, the other was a question they must have come up with on the spot while I was talking about my hospice volunteering. ISC book is quite a good preparation for the ethical scenarios, but rather than learning the answers (which makes no sense) try to see the pattern in which they questions are analyzed. But you also shouldn't treat it like a Bible for medicine applicants, I only got my copy one day before the actual interview and read just a little bit of Q&A part (I wanted to learn more about NHS etc. since I'm international applicant) and perhaps I would have answered the questions exactly the same without it. And BE CONFIDENT, 60-70% of people get offers so you absolutely shouldn't freak out about showing your best etc. because you most probably won't. When you can't think of an answer, admit it. Perhaps you could say why you can't think of one. Hope I helped a bit, and even if your interview is already over, someone else will benefit :wink: Good luck!

EDIT: Also, for ethical questions they ask, try to think of advantages of disadvantages of any given approach, whether it would always work out the same or depending on other factors, where applicable think of short-run vs long-run consequences of your decisions.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1024
Original post by Andante22

was the interview manly guided by your personal statement/ experience or were there alot of set questions they asked you....also were you asked alot about the structure of the nhs and recent changes in the nhs?
I'll just add my contribution... my interview had 2 questions on the bmat, 4 from my PS and about 2 set questions (the kind of questions you find in the ISC medical book). Then they asked if I had any questions, then the interview finished :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Also Brenda cross said in the talk beforehand that some of us may get ethical scenarios that are current at the time.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by tehreem5
was the interview manly guided by your personal statement/ experience or were there alot of set questions they asked you....also were you asked alot about the structure of the nhs and recent changes in the nhs?

I would say it was mostly PS + BMAT, just a couple of other questions, I was not asked about NHS structure or current issues (although I mentioned I knew the surgeons' mortality rate was an actual issue, not just made up for BMAT) but perhaps that's because I'm an international applicant and they just assumed I didn't really have to know much about it.
Still nothing yet :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Layontheland
Congratulations :biggrin:
If you don't mind me asking but what are your stats? :smile:

haha thank you: Be prepared to laugh.
BMAT: 3.7 3.6 3.5A
AS: 4A's and an A*
Original post by timeywimey
What time is it? Also good luck!

10:20, yours? You too :smile:
Reply 1031
Any gap year students still waiting?
Original post by vgautam
Any gap year students still waiting?

Me :frown:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by yasmin.mahfouz
haha thank you: Be prepared to laugh.
BMAT: 3.7 3.6 3.5A
AS: 4A's and an A*

Your stats aren't bad, I mean UCL have given you an interview. Plus your GCSEs, and personal statement must be very good :smile: are you a international?

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 1034
Has anyone been rejected yet after being put on the waiting list?
Omg 2 days after interview and I'm already impatient, don't know how I'm going to make it through 2 weeks!
Reply 1036
Original post by Hummi_C
Omg 2 days after interview and I'm already impatient, don't know how I'm going to make it through 2 weeks!

UCL are quite good actually, I heard in a week (most people do I think) so it shouldn't be too long :smile: good luck :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Hummi_C

Were you interviewed on Wednesday, then?

+1 to that :frown:
Anyone have any interview advice? :s-smilie:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending