ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WannaGetAnA)
    That's so true! Thank you

What did you apply for?
    Biochemistry
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soontobesuper)
    Ah I see. Your applying for geology Right? yes that is uprising, but I guess they aren't best at everything! Did UCL and Manch give you the same offer. I haven't yet, I' going to have to wait until I go to visit Surrey in Feb to see f they'll be my insurance- have you decided that?
    Yup, geology. UCL was AAB and Manchester ABB. But I wasn't to transfer to the MSci, and at Manchester the requirement is AAB, or I'll have to wait until the end if first year to transfer, and at UCL it's the same grades for the BSc and MSci. So either way I'll be aiming for AAB.

I'll insure Manchester unless I firm it, and if I firm it, which I'm likely to, then I'll insure Bristol. But Bristol and Manchester are the same grades. What did you apply for again?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WannaGetAnA)
    My course offer is AAB - would I get in if I got A*AC? I'm kind of failing Bio atm :'(
    We don't know. It depends on a number of things, which change year-by-year and course-by-course
    - if they have already filled all the places with people who did meet their offer, or if they still have a few spaces left
    - if they think they can fill up their remaining spaces with better quality candidates by going through clearing or by accepting people who just missed their offer
    - whether the grades that you actually got were ABB or higher (universities can be fined for over-recruiting people with BBB or below; this is not the case for people with ABB+)
    - how narrowly you missed your offer
    - if there was anyone else who missed their offer by a narrower margin
    - whether you are an international student (if you are, then you are more attractive because you pay higher fees, and the government can't fine the university for over-recruiting internationals)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Origami Bullets)
    We don't know. It depends on a number of things, which change year-by-year and course-by-course
    - if they have already filled all the places with people who did meet their offer, or if they still have a few spaces left
    - if they think they can fill up their remaining spaces with better quality candidates by going through clearing or by accepting people who just missed their offer
    - whether the grades that you actually got were ABB or higher (universities can be fined for over-recruiting people with BBB or below; this is not the case for people with ABB+)
    - how narrowly you missed your offer
    - if there was anyone else who missed their offer by a narrower margin
    - whether you are an international student (if you are, then you are more attractive because you pay higher fees, and the government can't fine the university for over-recruiting internationals)
    Thank you so much! Your answer was so helpful

ReputationRep:
    Saw quite a few who had offers, thought id make a thread for us and hopefully get to know one another before we started. So anyone going to Manchester this year for PPE?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,
    Got an interview for Biochemistry on the 29th of Jan. Just wondering, is this a formal 'suited' interview or more layed back? One of my mates said his was very relaxed for Geography but thought i should check

M

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrMatchstick)
    Hi Guys,
    Got an interview for Biochemistry on the 29th of Jan. Just wondering, is this a formal 'suited' interview or more layed back? One of my mates said his was very relaxed for Geography but thought i should check

M

Is it similar to chemistry, because i have a chemistry one in March?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrMatchstick)
    Hi Guys,

M
    I've had a biochemistry interview. Very informal and fun. Some were suited, but I wouldn't. Shirt and formal trousers without tie at most, I'd say. Really, though, no one's going to judge you on your clothes. (I'm assuming you're male from your name).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StretfordEnd)
    For anyone applying with the school of social sciences...roughly how long did it take you from confirmation of receipt to receiving an offer?

Submitted my application on Tuesday, got a confirmation from from the central student admissions folks yesterday.

I've applied for PPE, by the way
    I applied for Economics and Philosophy on around October 22nd and got my offer November 4th so not long hope that helps!

ReputationRep:
    Do universities usually take longer to reply to mature students? I'm 21 enrolled onto an access course and have applied for Law.

Or have any mature students who've applied for Law received an offer from Manchester yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jody101)
    Do universities usually take longer to reply to mature students? I'm 21 enrolled onto an access course and have applied for Law.

Or have any mature students who've applied for Law received an offer from Manchester yet?
    They've got months to make a decision yet - so there's no need to start stressing yet.

You don't say how long you've been waiting, but do bear in mind that university holidays are long and the relevant staff (especially academics) may still not be there. Exams only started last week, and teaching doesn't restart until Monday.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    They've got months to make a decision yet - so there's no need to start stressing yet.

You don't say how long you've been waiting, but do bear in mind that university holidays are long and the relevant staff (especially academics) may still not be there. Exams only started last week, and teaching doesn't restart until Monday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for your reply! You've eased my mind I've been worrying and being impatient haha

I completely forgot about exams, my friends just sat hers for Law, I'm just going to have to be patient and hope for the best!

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully not.

I have an offer, but not the slightest intention of actually going. I've been rejected from everywhere except Manchester but their standard offer is significantly below my predictions so I'm not in favour of wasting £9,000 a year when I know I could have done better.

Ho-hum, I s'pose I wouldn't mind it, it's just not preferable. I hate big cities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StartingTheParty)
    Hopefully not.

I have an offer, but not the slightest intention of actually going. I've been rejected from everywhere except Manchester but their standard offer is significantly below my predictions so I'm not in favour of wasting £9,000 a year when I know I could have done better.

Ho-hum, I s'pose I wouldn't mind it, it's just not preferable. I hate big cities.
    :hugs:

Have you asked why your applications were rejected? An educated guess says that chances are it was either that there was a significant (unrealistic, which means more than 1 grade without mitigating circumstances) difference between your AS grades and A2 predictions, or your PS was't great.

If you really don't think that you'd be happy at Manchester, then you've got three other options
    - Extra
    - Clearing
    - Adjustment
    - Gap year and reapply
    However, all of them, except Adjustment, require that you give up your place at Manchester before you apply elsewhere, and for adjustment you'd have to exceed your offer at Manchester on results day.

Do you have any idea what you might do?

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone applied for the science and foundation year (f008) and heard back?

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview at uni of Manchester and I am looking for some advice on what to expect ect.

Thanks

Emma

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlyHigh_er)
    Yup, geology. UCL was AAB and Manchester ABB. But I wasn't to transfer to the MSci, and at Manchester the requirement is AAB, or I'll have to wait until the end if first year to transfer, and at UCL it's the same grades for the BSc and MSci. So either way I'll be aiming for AAB.

I'll insure Manchester unless I firm it, and if I firm it, which I'm likely to, then I'll insure Bristol. But Bristol and Manchester are the same grades. What did you apply for again?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I see For me Manchester and UCL had the same grades, so that's the main problem for me! I applied for Biochemistry but Human sciences at UCL. Whilst I really like the course, Im starting to doubt the career prospects for Human sci.
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Soontobesuper)
    I see For me Manchester and UCL had the same grades, so that's the main problem for me! I applied for Biochemistry but Human sciences at UCL. Whilst I really like the course, Im starting to doubt the career prospects for Human sci.
    I went to UCL yesterday, and I think I'm going to Manchester, almost certain, just gonna think for a week.

It would sound like the job prospects with human Sci would be limited compared to biochemistry, but defo just pick the uni you like best. Can you change courses at UCL?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FlyHigh_er)
    I went to UCL yesterday, and I think I'm going to Manchester, almost certain, just gonna think for a week.

It would sound like the job prospects with human Sci would be limited compared to biochemistry, but defo just pick the uni you like best. Can you change courses at UCL?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You've got months yet - there's no need to decide before the deadline, which I think is sometime in May.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    You've got months yet - there's no need to decide before the deadline, which I think is sometime in May.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah I know, but I tend to overthink things and I'll end up stressing, plus I have to sort what modules to retake, depending on my form conditions and the form has to be in by march so it's best I just go with my gut feeling straight away XD

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.