Warwick Offer Holder (2015 Entry) Watch

randomuser1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Jai Sandhu)
hahaha same, FP2 gona make or break me. Warwick Maths offers are very lenient due to the insane requirements there are a lot of near miss candidates who get in, last year I was heard it was something like 1/3 -> 1/2.

A*AA2 wont meet requirements though, wouldnt you need A*AA1 or A*A*A2?
It wouldn't automatically, but see my last post page before. My tour at open day got in with a*aa3
randomuser1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SH0405)
Ah yes, G484. I didn't actually find it too bad - how many marks do you think you got? I really would like an A* in this...guess I'll 'see' you on the thread tomorrow.
Think I got ~43 on g484, scraped an a last year and got a in coursework so possible some leeway but hard to say.
Jai Sandhu
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by randomuser1)
It wouldn't automatically, but see my last post page before. My tour at open day got in with a*aa3
Lets be honest, we dont want to be in that position, worst case scenario for me I think I have is A*AA2, best case is A*A*A*1.
randomuser1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Lets be honest, we dont want to be in that position, worst case scenario for me I think I have is A*AA2, best case is A*A*A*1.
Of course you dont WANT to be in that position . For me, assuming I get a tmro in physics, worst is A*aa2 aswell, best A*a*a1.
Jai Sandhu
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Of course you dont WANT to be in that position . For me, assuming I get a tmro in physics, worst is A*aa2 aswell, best A*a*a1.
Yeah so hopefully A*AA2 > A*A*A3 hahahaah
randomuser1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yeah so hopefully A*AA2 > A*A*A3 hahahaah
It better . I would be much happier with a high grade in STEP than any a level considering the difficulty.
Jai Sandhu
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
It better . I would be much happier with a high grade in STEP than any a level considering the difficulty.
Let us hope Warwick thinks the same way.
fatart123
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Do you guys find the A* FM harder than a 2 in STEP? Tbh, I think that a 2 in STEP is a lot harder than A* FM... Think I got around 58ish on I so hoping to get a Dist in AEA to be sure.
Jai Sandhu
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by fatart123)
Do you guys find the A* FM harder than a 2 in STEP? Tbh, I think that a 2 in STEP is a lot harder than A* FM... Think I got around 58ish on I so hoping to get a Dist in AEA to be sure.
58 is an easy 2 hahaha, yeah an A* in FM for me is harder than a 2, I was a bit annoyed the 4th of my 4 complete solutions for STEP 1had a stupid error in it from misreading the question, just have to hope FP2 goes my way, I no longer care about AEA so I can bring down the boundaries for you
randomuser1
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Well I've only done fp2 of my FM modules, which I am fairly sure I got an a* in, but means I can't comment overall. Getting a 1 in STEP would be harder than a* in maths for sure. Think getting a 2 in it is very doable.
Paraphilos
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This does indeed happen; although I should warn you, that depends on how the paper is received nationally. If lots of people do well, you probably won't get in with that; if however they don't have enough who have met their offer, then of course, things like this are more common.
Jai Sandhu
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Paraphilos)
This does indeed happen; although I should warn you, that depends on how the paper is received nationally. If lots of people do well, you probably won't get in with that; if however they don't have enough who have met their offer, then of course, things like this are more common.
x
x
I think this years STEP 1 paper was much harder than last year so maybe it will apply this year? Idk if you guys agree.
Paraphilos
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Also, as a note, with STEP people normally underestimate their performance.
CluffyUno
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by SH0405)
I think I am in the same position . What's your insurance?
Bristol, and yourself?

Also, what is the process for those who missed their offers getting in? Does the university contact you or do you have to phone and beg on results day?
Paraphilos
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I think this years STEP 1 paper was much harder than last year so maybe it will apply this year? Idk if you guys agree.
Generally Warwick are more lenient than Cambridge for instance when it comes to meeting your STEP offer; however, this does not mean that they 'dumb down' the course at all. It is still demanding and I guess I don't need to mention that.
fatart123
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
58 is an easy 2 hahaha, yeah an A* in FM for me is harder than a 2, I was a bit annoyed the 4th of my 4 complete solutions for STEP 1had a stupid error in it from misreading the question, just have to hope FP2 goes my way, I no longer care about AEA so I can bring down the boundaries for you
Thanks lad. Sounds like you're doing AQA FM? It looks quite a bit harder than Edexcel so that may be why. Take a look at some of our FP2 papers lol.

Yeah, last year's mechanics ones were so much easier than this year's. About 5 'easy' pure ones on there too, although q1 looks nice but it's a proof one so I imagine loads of people did crap on it compared to our q1.

Also, as a note, with STEP people normally underestimate their performance.
Is there anywhere that tells you how they mark partial questions etc? Can't stand having to guess what I got for a question that only had 1 part.
Jai Sandhu
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Generally Warwick are more lenient than Cambridge for instance when it comes to meeting your STEP offer; however, this does not mean that they 'dumb down' the course at all. It is still demanding and I guess I don't need to mention that.
I am worried about missing my A* in FM atm tbh, I have guaranteed got a 2, with 4 full solutions (and one of them we have discussed via mail) and 3 partials worth 3-5 marks each. It is just whether or not I get the A* in FM, are they more inclined to those who meet the A* in FM or the STEP grade because technically you are 1 grade off both offers whether it be A*AA2 being 1 grade off A*AA1 or A*A*A2.
Paraphilos
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Is there anywhere that tells you how they mark partial questions etc? Can't stand having to guess what I got for a question that only had 1 part.
I'm not aware of it personally.

In any case, based on hearsay, and my own experience of taking STEP I/II, it seems that provided your ideas are correct and you can fully write a solution (whether there are tiny errors carried forward or not) you should be able to secure at least 15/20 marks for said question. As for partial solutions, it is much harder to gauge; this is because my own impression is that the right ideas are imperative, yet partial solutions are normally missing these and as such the marker cannot give you credit for nothing, unfortunately.
Paraphilos
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I am worried about missing my A* in FM atm tbh, I have guaranteed got a 2, with 4 full solutions (and one of them we have discussed via mail) and 3 partials worth 3-5 marks each. It is just whether or not I get the A* in FM, are they more inclined to those who meet the A* in FM or the STEP grade because technically you are 1 grade off both offers whether it be A*AA2 being 1 grade off A*AA1 or A*A*A2.
I have no authority to say. But my guess is that the difference is minimal; I found securing an A* in further maths hard (and I didn't), given my circumstances, but found STEP easier to succeed in for example.
Jai Sandhu
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Thanks lad. Sounds like you're doing AQA FM? It looks quite a bit harder than Edexcel so that may be why. Take a look at some of our FP2 papers lol.

Yeah, last year's mechanics ones were so much easier than this year's. About 5 'easy' pure ones on there too, although q1 looks nice but it's a proof one so I imagine loads of people did crap on it compared to our q1.

I am doing OCR (non-MEI) Further Maths and yeah ive seen Edexcel papers, definitely easier but boundaries are much higher, usually its like 48-50/72 for an A in FP2 and 60-64 for an A* whilst Edexcel boundaries seem horrendous.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Jun '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.76%
No - but I will (104)
7.67%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (647)
47.71%

Watched Threads