Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Deadly gun attack in Paris: Global reactions & discussion watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniMastermindBOSS)
    Because the cartoons are humorous and people enjoy reading them.

They publish cartoons about all kinds of races and religions, but nobody else decided to go and shoot a load of innocent people.

We can't spend our lives living in fear because of one silly religion.
    just because you're not a fan of it doesn't give you the right to call it silly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qari)
    these lot clearly don't know what a martyr is
    martyr is a theoetical concept, so it can be anything you want it to be - hence the danger of such ideologies and the weak minded that get sucked into them. these islamsits regarded them selves as eventual 'martyrs' they said so

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qari)
    oh that makes sense, I guess everyone else knew of the one open channel.
    Also, at one point one of the BBC reporters tried to move a bit closer and the signal started cutting out so they moved back to where they were (and where all the other journalists were) so it would make sense.

(Original post by Qari)
    just because you're not a fan of it doesn't give you the right to call it silly.
    I think all religions are silly though, Islam just seems to be one that causes more problems than the others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qari)
    I have one question. Isn't it stupid to broadcast what is happening outside the shop whilst the hostage takers are inside I mean they'll be able to see everything?
    There will be a delay on the footage.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParasiteRex)
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...042802560.html

From 2008, I'd guess both percentages have increased since.
    bbc states it's 7.5%

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-30717728

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qari)
    You are right. Its existence gives him the right to call it silly.

ReputationRep:
    There was at least 6 hostages shown escaping from the supermarket, so if any have died/been injured then there must have been more in there than the media suspected.

Edit: Reports suggesting that 4 hostages have been killed - Reuters, according to a police source.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UniMastermindBOSS)
    Also, at one point one of the BBC reporters tried to move a bit closer and the signal started cutting out so they moved back to where they were (and where all the other journalists were) so it would make sense.

I think all religions are silly though, Islam just seems to be one that causes more problems than the others.
    ah so they had a signal jammer covering a certain patch of area thanks.
    doesn't matter what you think others don't. you should respect others belief/view like these cartoonists i didn't like what they did but i respected that it was their right to do so even if i disagreed

(Original post by DiddyDec)
    There will be a delay on the footage.
    could be. I think it's what the other guy said though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qari)
    could be. I think it's what the other guy said though
    They do it with all live footage in case something horrific happens like a bomb going off and killing everyone. It gives them time to cut the broadcast. They even do it with live sport broadcasting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DiddyDec)
    They do it with all live footage in case something horrific happens like a bomb going off and killing everyone. It gives them time to cut the broadcast. They even do it with live sport broadcasting.
    do they didn't know that?

ReputationRep:
    That's a 2010 statistic from a PEW study. I'd guess it's closer to 10%, especially with the inclusion of those of a "Muslim culture".

And another source puts it at 10%
    France’s Muslim population has reached an estimated 6.5 million – roughly 10 per cent of the population – and many of them have assimilated poorly. Despite the billions of euros poured into immigrant-dominated “sensitive urban zones” since the riots of 2005, nothing has improved. Youth unemployment in these areas is upward of 40 per cent, according to The Economist. Sixty per cent of France’s prison inmates are of “Muslim religion or culture,” and the prisons have become breeding grounds for radicalization.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParasiteRex)
    That's a 2010 statistic from a PEW study. I'd guess it's closer to 10%, especially with the inclusion of those of a "Muslim culture".

And another source puts it at 10%
    so there's no real statistic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qari)
    do they didn't know that?
    You can't be too careful. I think for sports it is in case of streakers. You can't show a naked person before the watershed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qari)
    . you should respect others belief/view
    That is nonsense. I respect your right to believe what you like but if you choose to believe nonsense then I won't respect you for it, and I have the right to ridicule that belief. All superstitious beliefs are worthy of ridicule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dexa)
    Well done to French special forces in the warehouse operation. Really well executed. Although it was stupid of the brothers to "come out" firing...but then again such people are inherently stupid by nature.
    I guarantee you it (the police operation) will turn out to have been a complete amateur botch job. The frogs are completely incompetent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clip)
    I guarantee you it (the police operation) will turn out to have been a complete amateur botch job. The frogs are completely incompetent.
    Look's like we got a keyboard warrior over here. Why don't you go and resolve a hostage situation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Qari)
    so there's no real statistic
    Ethnic statistics is forbidden in France.

ReputationRep:
    http://mic.com/articles/107988/the-h...re-overlooking

I agree that mas murders are never justified. What drives me crazy, as an european and a chrisitian is the mockery that islamic religion has faced FOR YEARS in europe. And frankly, I think this issue is far larger than this attack. I know that western countries are sick of immigrants, but they come from colonies so deal with it - not a valid point I know but it is historically hypocritical....
    Terrorism is unacceptable and no one deserves to be murdered.
    But I don't see the point in mocking other religions.
    Never had I heard a muslim/middle east publication mock christianity - they don't agree with it, but they don't make others feel like crap for believing in what they do. At least they take their religion very seriously, something europeans don't do anymore - not that I do, I'm just saying from this point of view, I respect muslims.
    There are 5-6 MILLIONS muslims in France, why mock all of them just to annoy terrorists(because the magazine knew people were angry at them and didn't stop). Can someone explain me what those drawings mean aside from shaming 6 million people- only in France, worldwide who knows?- for their belief?

Again, I feel terribly sorry for the victims of terrorism but I do not agree that the publication is seen as a freedom of speech martyr - in my opinion, they abused the freedom of speech and those drawing are extremely offensive and hurtful.

ReputationRep:
    Muslim leaders are condemning these atrocities but that’s hardly sufficient. What are they doing in between? For all we know they’re blowing themselves up at bus garages.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dexa)
    Look's like we got a keyboard warrior over here. Why don't you go and resolve a hostage situation.
    You've been busy congratulating people for a job well done, before you know it's a job well done.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 22, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a Festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.