Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wattsy)
    Channel 4 ridiculously cut their SNF slot from programming for this season. SNF is looking for a new home but who knows where it'll land. I hope it's not Sky again. There's only so much Neil Reynolds I can deal with in one day and I think in order to maintain growth it needs terrestrial TV presence. It cost them basically nothing and had strong viewing figures for a show that began at 1am when the vast majority of Britain is asleep so you'd think it will land somewhere. Channel 5 wouldn't even be bad, at least they have experience of relatively obscure sports broadcasting.
    Screw Channel 4, and while I'm at it, Screw BBC. Looks like it will be Gamepass this year...or Audiopass again.

Or something... :ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja::ninja:

(Original post by Malevolent)
    Hopefully the mess is resolved soon. We're approaching the start of a new season yet it still hasn't been resolved.
    Holy ****.

I guess it won't be resolved for sometime yet...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...ady-suspension

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell has upheld Patriots quarterback Tom Brady's four-game suspension for violating the league's policy on integrity of the game, the league announced Tuesday. Brady was suspended four games in May after footballs used by the Patriots during the AFC Championship Game against the Colts were found to be inflated under the minimum level prescribed by the league. Along with the NFL Players Association, Brady challenged his penalty and testified before Goodell at an appeal hearing in May. The four-time Super Bowl winner is eligible to play Week 6 in Indianapolis against the Colts. Jimmy Garoppolo, who played sparingly as Brady's backup last year, is expected to start the team's first four games of the season. Brady remains eligible for training camp and the preseason. Brady was suspended on May 11 after a report by Ted Wells, an investigator contracted by the league, asserted Brady's connection to the deflation of footballs used in the AFC Championship Game, which the Patriots won, 45-7. Wells did not allege that Brady himself improperly handled the footballs, but the investigator wrote that he believed Brady was "at least generally aware" of the alleged involvement of Patriots staff in deflating the footballs. Wells also noted that Brady did not fully cooperate with his requests during the investigation. The Patriots franchise was also handed down discipline stemming from the incident, but owner Robert Kraft ultimately chose not to fight those sanctions, which included a $1 million fine and the loss of a 2016 first-round pick and 2017 fourth-round selection. Around The NFL will have more on this developing story. Check out our Tom Brady suspension timeline here.
    Attachment 445867445869

Name:  respectcartman.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  72.5 KB
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    Why would channel four drop their coverage?

Ffs..

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Why indeed. Vernon Kay had to break the news, he sounds gutted himself.

With the Brady suspension being upheld it'll probably be over by the time this thing gets aired court now surely? They can't really do anything after the punishment. In England you'd be screwed right now but it would have all been fine if you didn't deflate the footballs.

ReputationRep:
    Oh man this is about to get a whole lot uglier.

ReputationRep:
    Uglier indeed....

(Original post by Report Findings, p1-2)
    The most significant new information that emerged in connection with the appeal was evidence that on or about March 6. 2015 -- the very day he that he was interviewed by Mr. Wells and his investigative team -- Mr. Brady instructed his assistant to destroy the cellphone that he had been using since early November 2014, a period that included the AFC Championship Game and the initial weeks of the subsequent investigation. During the four months that it was in use, almost 10,000 text messages were sent or received by Mr. Brady using that cellphone. At the time that he arranged for its destruction, Mr. Brady knew that Mr. Wells and his team had requested information from that cellphone in connection with their investigation. Despite repeated requests for that information, beginning in mid-February 2015 and continuing during his March 6, 2015 interview by the investigators, information indicating that Mr. Brady might have destroyed his cellphone was not disclosed until months later, on June 18, 2015, and not confirmed until the day of the hearing itself.
    The full report:
    http://static.nfl.com/static/content...0000504265.pdf

The main part of the report focuses on the communication between Brady and the guy who was known to have deflated the football. I don't know whether the suspension seems to be for actually 100% proof of involvement because there's been a lot of data missing, allegedly, but Goodell seems to emphasize how it's for not co-operating with the investigations as well. Why would he? He's a first-ballot HOFer with four superbowls, and an awful lot to lose, legacy wise.

Destroying the phone, when he knew it was being requested for information, takes it to a whole new level. The 'more probable than not' theory got a lot of laughs, and was pitiful, no question, but man, why, Brady? I mean, this whole phone business has all been established by Brady himself...he would have a lot more to lose now if he tried to appeal it further.

The Patriots will be fine with Jimmy G, though. They have a fairly tough four weeks but no franchise comes through more adversity. When they have a 'us against the world mentality' they are very hard to stop. That transition was going to happen anyway, so it will be good for him to get snaps in anger.

The more I think about it though, the worse that it really is for Brady and the Patriots. They own the Colts and Andrew Luck anyway. They did not have to cheat.

EDIT. Brady will try and sue the NFL, and get an injunction to continue playing, but the whole business about the phones -- literally destroying the evidence, makes it easier said than done to get that injunction, especially because a federal judge would have to be convinced that Brady would have a good chance of beating the NFL in court. Not with this new stuff. Talk about a game changer...

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the destroyed phone will affect the outcome of the federal arbitration. The NFL had no right to expect him to provide his personal messages.

ReputationRep:
    As Smash just said the NFL never had a right to make him hand over his phone. I have a feeling more and more is about to come out.

ReputationRep:
    I have to believe that "destroying his phone" was a calculated move done so with the input of his legal team.. cannot envision one scenario where one morning he woke up and decided to just destroy it as a random act and then just said he did it..

The destruction of the cellphone has to be part of a larger strategy...

Interesting.

ReputationRep:
    Robert Kraft " I was wrong to put my faith in the league." Wow this **** just got real.

This is what many Patriots fans have wanted to hear from Kraft. Many still are pissed off over how he handled it in May.

ReputationRep:
    Can Robert Kraft get sanctioned for 'bringing the game into disrepute' or something like would happen in the Premier League, those remarks are disgraceful. If you hate it so much then sell up you utter ******.

I'll add that I don't like Goodell either but this is damaging the game and it is a game which I like.

I'm hearing whispers that BBC are picking up C4's NFL slot. These are currently very poorly sourced and are therefore I have no real details. I don't want to see the NFL shuttered behind the red button, particularly at 1am but it's better than nothing if that is the end result.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Nothing disgraceful about them. The NFL has gone about this case like a witch hunt. Kraft should have made those remarks way sooner.

ReputationRep:
    Nothing disgraceful about them. The NFL has gone about this case like a witch hunt. Kraft should have made those remarks way sooner.
    Hm...upon further review, if the NFL said to Brady's advisors that it wasn't neccessary to have the phone as part of the evidence, then, yes, it is very ****y to then rely on the phone's destruction as the principal reason for upholding the ban. At this point, the report doesn't really offer anything else which is especially compelling. Goodell is the commish, and it's basically 'his league,' but it's still weird that Brady has claimed that he routinely destroys all of his phones, to have the one used before November 2014 still usable. I mean, Goodell may be a terrible commish, but he's a sharp cookie when it comes to that sort of stuff.

Brady has and will always say that he tried to get the messages retrieved, but it just doesn't add up. In a case which would affect his legacy -- rightly or wrongly -- surely he would want to try and exonerate himself? What of the guy who was accused of deflating the balls? What of the text messages allegedly sent throughout that week after? Brady wouldn't be that stupid -- could he? 10,000 messages exchanged on a single phone in about four months? I don't know where I stand on this thing. It's a case of 'he said this, he said that...' Some of the stuff from page 10 through to 13 is signifcant though. Rather than asking for private records, Brady was asked to hand over the texts in which fitted into the category of the balls being tampered with.

Importantly, the Patriots accepted the team punshiments -- which of course, will hurt the team in the long run. Brady has suggested himself that everyone is innocent of the crime alleged, but yet his own team -- however bitterly, have accepted a big punishment.

While I would tend to agree that the NFL has handled this wrong -- and this should have been resolved sooner -- it becomes much less of an issue about the balls and more of 'who brought the League into disrepute.' The NFLPA and Brady will fight it all the way -- and they have every right, but what is it going to achieve? The emphasis on being uncooperative with the investigation isn't going to work.

Regarding the injunction, I seriously don't think it will come off. I mean there's a chance that if this all drags on, to say, the late of December with the Pats in a good spot in the AFC frame, and then it turns out that Brady's unsucessful in suing the NFL, and the NFL then imposes its four game suspension effective for the Playoffs, then what does the injunction achieve?

FWIW, I saw this article on ESPN and it's probably worth sharing here.

(Original post by espn)
    http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/...odell-decision

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady, the National Football League Players Association and their lawyers say they will ask a federal judge for an injunction that will prevent the NFL from enforcing the four-game suspension that commissioner Roger Goodell confirmed Tuesday in a detailed decision. Brady's threat of litigation and Goodell's decision raise questions about a court's role in a collectively-bargained arbitration process:

Question: Will Brady succeed in court and stop the NFL from suspending him for four games?
    Answer: No, Brady will not succeed. Although he enjoys top-of-the-line legal representation and his lawyers will file a brilliantly written lawsuit, his effort to stop the suspension is doomed. There are two reasons why: First, federal judges are reluctant to reconsider the rulings of arbitrators; second, Goodell produced a decision on Brady that is brilliantly reasoned, meticulously detailed, and well-written. Goodell's recitation of the evidence of the tampering with game balls is powerful, and his description of Brady's attempt at a cover-up is persuasive.

Q: Why are federal judges reluctant to reconsider an arbitrator's decision?
    A: If federal judges were to offer reviews of arbitrator decisions made throughout the nation, their dockets soon would be filled with arbitration cases. Throughout American business and industry, there are agreements to submit disputes to arbitration. It is viewed as a less-costly and more-efficient way to resolve issues. It avoids the expense and the endless delays of litigation. An essential element of any arbitration is that it is final and cannot be reviewed.
    Federal judges understand the theory behind arbitration, and they are already inundated with criminal cases and thousands of civil lawsuits. They know that an arbitrator has considered the evidence, and the judges do not want a second look at the evidence. Even when the arbitrator is totally wrong, most federal judges will not reconsider the ruling. In a notorious case involving former Los Angeles Dodgers baseball player Steve Garvey at the U.S. Supreme Court in 2001, the high court ruled that even when the arbitrator's decision is "improvident or even silly," it does "not provide a basis for a court to refuse to enforce" the arbitrator's decision.

Q: But didn't a federal judge recently reverse an NFL arbitration ruling for Adrian Peterson?
    A: Yes. U.S. District Court Judge David Doty in Minneapolis, who has presided over NFL litigation for 25 years, reversed the punishment imposed on Peterson. He based his ruling on what he thought was an egregious error by the NFL arbitrator -- the application of a new and harsher penalty to an incident that occurred before the adoption of the new penalty. The case is on appeal, and the NFL is likely to prevail in the appeal with the high court reminding Doty that federal judges should stay away from reviews of arbitrators' rulings.

Q: Bloomberg is reporting that the NFL filed a lawsuit in New York on Tuesday, beating the NFLPA and Brady to the punch. What's this about?
    A: The NFL is clearly worried that Brady and his lawyers will file their lawsuit in Minneapolis, where NFL players have achieved historic triumphs over the NFL, including several decisions by Doty. The league attorneys filed their lawsuit first in New York, hoping that the league would have a greater chance of success. The league used a procedure known as a declaratory judgment lawsuit in its effort to win the race to choose the ultimate courthouse.

Q: What will Brady's lawyers argue in their attempt to reverse Goodell's ruling?
    A: Led by the estimable Jeffrey Kessler, the Brady legal team will argue that Brady did nothing wrong, that the Wells report failed to establish that Brady had a role in the inflation of the game balls, that the penalty is too harsh, and that Goodell was not a neutral arbitrator. None of these arguments offers a compelling reason for a judge to reverse Goodell's decision. All of the arguments were raised in detail in the arbitration hearing, and Goodell answered each one of them in exquisite and persuasive detail in his 20-page opinion. It is difficult to imagine a judge reconsidering any of them. The players gave away the idea of a neutral arbitrator when they voluntarily agreed in collective bargaining that the commissioner would make the final decision in conduct detrimental cases.

Q: What evidence led Goodell to confirm the four-game suspension?
    A: Goodell relied on evidence the Wells investigation, the 300 exhibits offered in the daylong hearing, and 450 pages of testimony. He also relied heavily on information that he did not learn during the hearing. Kessler and the NFLPA said there was no need for testimony from John Jastremski and James McNally, the Patriots employees who were involved in the machinations that led to the deflated game balls. The NFL attorneys argued, according to the Goodell opinion, that Goodell was entitled to make an "adverse inference" from Brady's failure to present key witnesses. Goodell went beyond the adverse inference and made a finding that both men lacked credibility in the statements they made to Wells. The Brady legal team also admitted that McNally had "more than enough time" during his famous 100-second visit into a locked bathroom to do what was necessary to deflate the balls.

Q: Was there other evidence that was important to Goodell?
    A: Yes. Brady's refusal to cooperate with the Wells investigators and his destruction of his cell phone on the same day that he was to be interviewed by Wells were extremely important in Goodell's decision. Goodell said that the destruction of the cell phone was "very troubling." He added that it was clear that Brady made an "affirmative effort to conceal relevant evidence and to undermine the investigation." And Goodell took his reasoning one step further when he wrote that Brady's destruction of the phone "gives rise to an inference that information from his cellphone, if it were available, would further demonstrate [Brady's] direct knowledge of and involvement with the scheme to tamper with the game balls, just as he concealed for months the fact that he had destroyed the cellphone requested by the investigators."

Q: What was Brady's biggest mistake?
    A: There was more than one. There is little doubt that Brady blundered when he refused to cooperate with the Wells investigators by turning over his phone and his text messages. He made it even worse when he destroyed the phone. And then, incredibly, after he had destroyed the phone, he and his lawyers suggested to Goodell that Brady routinely destroyed his old phones when he purchased a new one. The problem was that the Wells investigators had already found an old phone that Brady had not destroyed. But the worst mistake was a series of phone calls and text messages on the day after the Indianapolis game with Jastremski and a visit with him in the "QB Room." Goodell, in a brilliant passage in his masterly opinion, explained that the frantic calls in the three days after the game showed that Brady "was undermining efforts by game officials to ensure compliance with league rules."
    FWIAW, here's Brady's statement...

"I am very disappointed by the NFL's decision to uphold the 4 game suspension against me. I did nothing wrong, and no one in the Patriots organization did either.

"Despite submitting to hours of testimony over the past 6 months, it is disappointing that the Commissioner upheld my suspension based upon a standard that it was 'probable' that I was 'generally aware' of misconduct. The fact is that neither I, nor any equipment person, did anything of which we have been accused. He dismissed my hours of testimony and it is disappointing that he found it unreliable.
    "I also disagree with yesterday's narrative surrounding my cellphone. I replaced my broken Samsung phone with a new iPhone 6 AFTER my attorneys made it clear to the NFL that my actual phone device would not be subjected to investigation under ANY circumstances. As a member of a union, I was under no obligation to set a new precedent going forward, nor was I made aware at any time during Mr. Wells investigation, that failing to subject my cell phone to investigation would result in ANY discipline.

"Most importantly, I have never written, texted, emailed to anybody at anytime, anything related to football air pressure before this issue was raised at the AFC Championship game in January. To suggest that I destroyed a phone to avoid giving the NFL information it requested is completely wrong.

"To try and reconcile the record and fully cooperate with the investigation after I was disciplined in May, we turned over detailed pages of cell phone records and all of the emails that Mr. Wells requested. We even contacted the phone company to see if there was any possible way we could retrieve any/all of the actual text messages from my old phone. In short, we exhausted every possibility to give the NFL everything we could and offered to go thru the identity for every text and phone call during the relevant time. Regardless, the NFL knows that Mr. Wells already had ALL relevant communications with Patriots personnel that either Mr. Wells saw or that I was questioned about in my appeal hearing. There is no 'smoking gun' and this controversy is manufactured to distract from the fact they have zero evidence of wrongdoing.

"I authorized the NFLPA to make a settlement offer to the NFL so that we could avoid going to court and put this inconsequential issue behind us as we move forward into this season. The discipline was upheld without any counter offer. I respect the Commissioners authority, but he also has to respect the CBA and my rights as a private citizen. I will not allow my unfair discipline to become a precedent for other NFL players without a fight.

"Lastly, I am overwhelmed and humbled by the support of family, friends and our fans who have supported me since the false accusations were made after the AFC Championship game. I look forward to the opportunity to resume playing with my teammates and winning more games for the New England Patriots."

ReputationRep:
    No offence but that article is by Lester Munson who was disbarred. He is known for being full of crap. Its already been dismissed and ESPN has really been up against Brady and the Patriots regarding deflategate. If Tom Brady didn't stand a chance the NFL wouldn't have been pressing hard to file the venue for the court case.

ReputationRep:
    I just want it to be over now to be honest. I'm all for justice and fairness but it's a 4 game suspension not life imprisonment. The Patriots organisation accepted their punishment so current behaviour is bizarre as is Tom Brady's protesting their innocence. I feel like the Commissioner role needs some fetters and restraints but the NFLPA should also not be allowed to go to actual court over a 4 game suspension.

Pigskin Podcast (I don't know either but better than my previous whispers) are saying BBC has picked up the entire Channel 4 NFL package, they've had someone inside the deal tell them about it. Details as and when they appear of course.

ReputationRep:
    No offence but that article is by Lester Munson who was disbarred. He is known for being full of crap. Its already been dismissed and ESPN has really been up against Brady and the Patriots regarding deflategate. If Tom Brady didn't stand a chance the NFL wouldn't have been pressing hard to file the venue for the court case.
    lmao the second or third time he said how brilliant Roger Goodell was I just wanted to fight him. And I'll probably be following the Jets, Browns and a couple of other teams this year.

ReputationRep:
    http://fox2now.com/2015/07/30/local-...acing-on-i-64/

How ****ing retarded can one person be?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmashConcept)
    http://fox2now.com/2015/07/30/local-...acing-on-i-64/

How ****ing retarded can one person be?
    Wow, as a player you have to like Sheldon but all this stuff is ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    I think the Jets must have had some idea of Richardson's character when they drafted Williams. They really need to extend Wilkerson now though because it honestly looks like Sheldon will be going to prison or at least getting a long suspension.

ReputationRep:
    Boston media are now claiming that VP of Game Operations Mike Kensil deliberately leaked false information to Chris Mortensen to set an agenda against the Patriots.

ReputationRep:
    Yh. Did deflation actually ever happened? I'm so ****ing confused with reports of lies been told by the NFL from the inception. Apparently this Kensil guy is an ex jet exec or something and hates bill to deaths.

This is becoming more ****ed up than FIFA.

Also someone called the redskins a functional organisation. Redskins? Functional? REDSKINS......FUNCTIONAL!!!!!Lol oolololololololololololol

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.