Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meaty_man)
    Good to hear what are you planning on doing?

Nothing wrong with a good cry :console: Uni work has a way of getting to you :hugs:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Just trying to get through my night shift, nearly half way now Think im coping better now that I've been here a few times, so i hope that continues!
    With my mum were gonna do the museums, the docks, the ferry across the Mersey the L1 shopping centre possibly with mum and rory china town but deffo my mum
    And with rory the Beatles story and probs a nice meal as its the week before our anniversary!
    Really excited liverpool is honestly my fave city ever and being there with my mum and boyfriend just make it so special AND weve booked an apartment!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Can't cope. :cry:

Hello, this is my first post on here.

I feel like my problems are insignificant compared to so much in this thread (you are all so brave!) but I just wanted to find somewhere to talk about it as I feel so alone at the moment and don't know what to do. I started experiencing quite bad anxiety 6 months back, I've always been a bit nervous in new social situations, but it began to take over my daily life and I experienced pretty bad panic attacks, I just bottled it up and tried to get on with life as much as possible. A few months later I began to feel really down, then last month after an incident at uni I decided to finally go and see the doctor, she was helpful and suggested counselling and prescribed me 50mg of Sertraline and beta blockers to help with panic attacks.

I've been on the medication for about 3 and half weeks now and at first I felt a lot better, minus some side effects in the first few days, but now I've slipped into a dark place.I'm no longer anxious about doing things, now I just can't do them at all. My life just feels like an empty hole. I have no enjoyment in anything, I have no motivation, I don't want to be around my friends. Getting up in the morning is an effort, three weeks into the new uni term and I've managed a total of three hours. I've barely touched my work,which is especially bad as I'm in my final term of final year. Everyday feels like an effort and all I do is cry.

I feel so alone, like I can't talk to anyone about what I'm experiencing. The uni kinda of knows what's going on, but I'm too scared about going to the counselling service as I always feel unworthy of their help. I just keep telling myself that I'll snap out of it tomorrow, wake up feeling fine, that's it just a 'blip' but it doesn't happen, everyday I just feel sad and incapable of facing the world. I'm also too scared to tell my housemates, they know I'm 'ill' at the minute but I haven't told them it's actually mental health issues. I just fear they will judge me or not believe me, because despite the odd day I can mostly keep up an appearance around them of being fine, it's just when I'm alone it all breaks down :/.

ReputationRep:
    I need to realise the MRM is a time trap just like the others

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PandaWho)
    With my mum were gonna do the museums, the docks, the ferry across the Mersey the L1 shopping centre possibly with mum and rory china town but deffo my mum
    And with rory the Beatles story and probs a nice meal as its the week before our anniversary!
    Really excited liverpool is honestly my fave city ever and being there with my mum and boyfriend just make it so special AND weve booked an apartment!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Good to hear you got something to look forward to things can be difficult when there's nothing nice to think about!

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Hello, this is my first post on here.

I feel like my problems are insignificant compared to so much in this thread (you are all so brave!) but I just wanted to find somewhere to talk about it as I feel so alone at the moment and don't know what to do. I started experiencing quite bad anxiety 6 months back, I've always been a bit nervous in new social situations, but it began to take over my daily life and I experienced pretty bad panic attacks, I just bottled it up and tried to get on with life as much as possible. A few months later I began to feel really down, then last month after an incident at uni I decided to finally go and see the doctor, she was helpful and suggested counselling and prescribed me 50mg of Sertraline and beta blockers to help with panic attacks.

I've been on the medication for about 3 and half weeks now and at first I felt a lot better, minus some side effects in the first few days, but now I've slipped into a dark place.I'm no longer anxious about doing things, now I just can't do them at all. My life just feels like an empty hole. I have no enjoyment in anything, I have no motivation, I don't want to be around my friends. Getting up in the morning is an effort, three weeks into the new uni term and I've managed a total of three hours. I've barely touched my work,which is especially bad as I'm in my final term of final year. Everyday feels like an effort and all I do is cry.

I feel so alone, like I can't talk to anyone about what I'm experiencing. The uni kinda of knows what's going on, but I'm too scared about going to the counselling service as I always feel unworthy of their help. I just keep telling myself that I'll snap out of it tomorrow, wake up feeling fine, that's it just a 'blip' but it doesn't happen, everyday I just feel sad and incapable of facing the world. I'm also too scared to tell my housemates, they know I'm 'ill' at the minute but I haven't told them it's actually mental health issues. I just fear they will judge me or not believe me, because despite the odd day I can mostly keep up an appearance around them of being fine, it's just when I'm alone it all breaks down :/.
    A lot of the stuff you've said there i also felt when i was in a similar situation :console: change sadly won't come from nowhere, at least not reliably. I spent about 2 years in that hoping things would change overnight mindset, but things will change gradually. Is kinda annoying since its harder to see, but if you can actively change things, it will come eventually.

Working with a therapist will help a lot, at least it did for me they help you to help yourself, which is effective and healthier than relying on medication alone.

Medication is a funny one, and sertraline can take up to 2 months to kick in properly, its slow but that's what SSRIs are like (most anti depressents). If you feel sertraline isn't cutting it, you can ask your doc for something else, there are a lot of medications out there, and the first you try may not be the best for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PandaWho)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    :eek: Have a fab time! I don't live too far from Liverpool and I loved it until 2/3 of their unis rejected me, since then I've had major beef :ninja:

-----------

Woke up feeling quite good but I can feel the heaviness in my chest starting to seep in again so I'm attempting to block it out with Starbucks.

Also have suspiciously good body image today as well, I don't trust it :unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous #2)
    :eek: Have a fab time! I don't live too far from Liverpool and I loved it until 2/3 of their unis rejected me, since then I've had major beef :ninja:

-----------

Woke up feeling quite good but I can feel the heaviness in my chest starting to seep in again so I'm attempting to block it out with Starbucks.

Also have suspiciously good body image today as well, I don't trust it :unimpressed:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can't say im much of a morning person either, good thing i do night shifts i guess i often feel sicky for a while after i get up, but in an hour or 2 that goes away, perhaps it will be the same for you?

Try to appreciate that body image, its a good thing! not all of us are that lucky i normally only look good in the dark x)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meaty_man)
    Can't say im much of a morning person either, good thing i do night shifts i guess i often feel sicky for a while after i get up, but in an hour or 2 that goes away, perhaps it will be the same for you?

Try to appreciate that body image, its a good thing! not all of us are that lucky i normally only look good in the dark x)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's not a sickly feeling, just heaviness in the chest that comes with depression. Surely I'm not the only person who gets this? :ninja:

I struggle to eat a lot of the time because of my body image so I'd hardly say I'm lucky tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    right, aiming to hit 1000 words tonight, and 2000 by monday :eek:

getting very nervous about seeing the psych on monday :erm: its the first time I've ever come out and said "i want to know what I'm diagnosed with" and now i don't think i want to know :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    So apparently I've now achieved my gold award :confused: Got an email today from region.
    Speaking to uni dofe person today, so I guess I'll ask them...

It's not a sickly feeling, just heaviness in the chest that comes with depression. Surely I'm not the only person who gets this? :ninja:

I struggle to eat a lot of the time because of my body image so I'd hardly say I'm lucky tbh

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Morning is often worse, particularly with anxiety because of hormones/low blood sugar etc. When I'm going through tough times mornings are ALWAYS worst. Sometimes I can't bring myself to have breakfast even though I know it's the only thing that's going to make me feel any better.

I'm okay now though, and it's incredibly odd waking up in the morning feeling peaceful, when I know just how horrendous I felt just a few months ago every time I opened my eyes just thinking "oh great, another day of this".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Team_McDreamy)
    right, aiming to hit 1000 words tonight, and 2000 by monday :eek:

getting very nervous about seeing the psych on monday :erm: its the first time I've ever come out and said "i want to know what I'm diagnosed with" and now i don't think i want to know :sigh:
    Good luck! Im also aiming for a 1000 tonight... or tomorrow depends on how much i get done and then 3000 by next friday.. But wishing you the best of luck with your appoinment, the first with anything are the hardest but it'll be worth it in the long run.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by purple-duck)
    So apparently I've now achieved my gold award :confused: Got an email today from region.
    Achieving it is good though, right?

-------

Feeling a bit weird, decided to do work. Very distracted though, but I need to do something. Can't fail.

Got some coursework back today as well. Got a 65! :eek: Which is great considering I hate lab reports, and they tend to be my lowest scores (averaged 55 last year for labs). Happy with this improvement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Morning is often worse, particularly with anxiety because of hormones/low blood sugar etc. When I'm going through tough times mornings are ALWAYS worst. Sometimes I can't bring myself to have breakfast even though I know it's the only thing that's going to make me feel any better.

I'm okay now though, and it's incredibly odd waking up in the morning feeling peaceful, when I know just how horrendous I felt just a few months ago every time I opened my eyes just thinking "oh great, another day of this".
    Glad you're starting to feel better

(Original post by Pathway)

Feeling a bit weird, decided to do work. Very distracted though, but I need to do something. Can't fail.

Got some coursework back today as well. Got a 65! :eek: Which is great considering I hate lab reports, and they tend to be my lowest scores (averaged 55 last year for labs). Happy with this improvement.

Also celebrating improved grades, well done!

------------

Somehow managed to get a 2.1 in my exam, only one mark off a first! :eek:

ReputationRep:

[/I]Also celebrating improved grades, well done!

------------

That's awesome! Well done. :hugs:
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by purple-duck)
    Bit late but on skype if you want a rant! And good luck for uni guy if you've not seen him already

l
    Well done both of you! :woo:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    Bit late but on skype if you want a rant! And good luck for uni guy if you've not seen him already

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you. How are you? I hope you're doing better, if you need/want to talk, I'm around. :hugs:

ReputationRep:

------------

Congratulations

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks You alright?

That's awesome! Well done. :hugs:
    Thanks! :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Achieving it is good though, right?

-------

------------

Well done both! :hugs:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: June 19, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.