Pembroke College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants Watch

terryhenry
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do Pembroke MMLers have any objective thoughts on MML at the college, ie are the fellows too pushy/not pushy enough, do you get the support you need if things are not going well, do you get access to decent teaching from outside of the college in other languages etc? Still finalising my choices, and given Pembroke seems to have a smaller than average intake for MML compared to some, I was just wondering if it’s something to worry about (apart from the obvious fact there aren’t many places!). Any other comments would be appreciated too!

Thanks very much.
mathermuffin
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
They sent a form ages ago when they were asking about accommodation and there was a checkbox that you could tick if you wanted to use bed linen supplied by the college... I didn't tick it but I think now that I'd rather pay to use the college's rather than my own. Will it still be possible, or is it too late now? Thanks!
Tortious
Badges: 16
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by mathermuffin)
They sent a form ages ago when they were asking about accommodation and there was a checkbox that you could tick if you wanted to use bed linen supplied by the college... I didn't tick it but I think now that I'd rather pay to use the college's rather than my own. Will it still be possible, or is it too late now? Thanks!
I would imagine it might be possible, if you ask them very nicely (since so few people take them up on the offer). The best people to email are Housekeeping, probably - hopefully they'll have the sense to inform the people who prepare the bills. :p:
Nyolg
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Hey, I have a question about the bursaries. I've been admited the EU Bursary, but I wonder when the money is paid to the students? The thing is, we are expected to pay for certain things (accomodation and KFC) in advance, my booklet says, that the deadline is 18th October and on some website (I can't find it right now :s) I read that the bursary will be paid well after that date. So is that the case that I will have to pay for that stuff from my own pocket and I'll recieve my bursary later on? Is that possible to arrange payments to avoid it? And in what form is the bursary paid to the students? Is it kind of taken from the sum that one's college bill amounts up to?
DJMayes
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nyolg)
Hey, I have a question about the bursaries. I've been admited the EU Bursary, but I wonder when the money is paid to the students? The thing is, we are expected to pay for certain things (accomodation and KFC) in advance, my booklet says, that the deadline is 18th October and on some website (I can't find it right now :s) I read that the bursary will be paid well after that date. So is that the case that I will have to pay for that stuff from my own pocket and I'll recieve my bursary later on? Is that possible to arrange payments to avoid it? And in what form is the bursary paid to the students? Is it kind of taken from the sum that one's college bill amounts up to?
Do you not receive any kind of maintenance loan/grant? These can be used to cover them until you receive the bursary.

(On a side note, how do you know you will be receiving a bursary already? I am guessing it is done differently for you than Home students but I am still surprised you've heard so early.)
Nyolg
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nope, those goodies are only meant for UK students So do you confirm that the bursary is actully paid after the accomodation payment deadline?

Well, I have contacted Pembroke some time ago (in May), and they confirmed that I've been awarded the bursary, as long as I will prove myself eligible for Fee Loan, which I did later on (there were some more conditions, like this course being my first undergrad course blah blah blah etc.). Some time ago I recieved the SFB stating that I've been admitted the loan, so my guess is that I'll be getting the bursary as well.

Now that I've found that letter (the one confirming my bursary) it's even more confusing - the letter says that the payment will be made in October, and for example this website (page 4):

http://www.cusu.cam.ac.uk/prospectiv...al/bursary.pdf

says that it's paid in 2 parts, first of them at Christmas, as a deduction from my bill; it's about 'Cambridge Bursary' though, and the letter mentions 'Cabridge European Bursary' specificaly, so perhaps there are different arrangements, as EU students are not elegible for grants/maintenance loans?
DJMayes
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Nyolg)
Nope, those goodies are only meant for UK students So do you confirm that the bursary is actully paid after the accomodation payment deadline?

Well, I have contacted Pembroke some time ago (in May), and they confirmed that I've been awarded the bursary, as long as I will prove myself eligible for Fee Loan, which I did later on (there were some more conditions, like this course being my first undergrad course blah blah blah etc.). Some time ago I recieved the SFB stating that I've been admitted the loan, so my guess is that I'll be getting the bursary as well.

Now that I've found that letter (the one confirming my bursary) it's even more confusing - the letter says that the payment will be made in October, and for example this website (page 4):

http://www.cusu.cam.ac.uk/prospectiv...al/bursary.pdf

says that it's paid in 2 parts, first of them at Christmas, as a deduction from my bill; it's about 'Cambridge Bursary' though, and the letter mentions 'Cabridge European Bursary' specificaly, so perhaps there are different arrangements, as EU students are not elegible for grants/maintenance loans?
As far as I am aware the Cambridge Bursary is awarded later on (Beginning of second term or something similar), but applications for it only opened up very recently and no-one will be informed for probably a while yet. Given what you've said I'm guessing there are two different Bursaries.
Nyolg
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by DJMayes)
As far as I am aware the Cambridge Bursary is awarded later on (Beginning of second term or something similar), but applications for it only opened up very recently and no-one will be informed for probably a while yet. Given what you've said I'm guessing there are two different Bursaries.

Oh well, then I guess that Cambridge Bursary and Cambridge European Bursary are dealt with separately and different arrangements apply. I've applied for mine in early spring.
user12345678910
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Do you spend much time with your college family? What if you don't really 'click' with your college siblings?
alex_hk90
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by user12345678910)
Do you spend much time with your college family? What if you don't really 'click' with your college siblings?
It varies. If you don't 'click' then there's no need to spend any more time with them then the couple of nights during Fresher's.
Theflyingbarney
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by user12345678910)
The main purpose of the college family is to ease you into college life in the first few nights. Some families become pretty friendly even into the later terms; others don't have much to do with each other after freshers' week. If you don't click with your college siblings it doesn't really matter, they're really just there to give you another source of potential friends from a group of people that should supposedly have fairly similar tastes to yourself; but at the same time it's not the end of the world if you don't get on. I'm still really good friends with one of my siblings but I haven't spoken to the other two since Michaelmas term.

So yeah, families are a good way to meet new people but it's not a big deal if you don't get on with them.
TrueNorth
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anyone here studying English at Pembroke?
DJMayes
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by TrueNorth)
Anyone here studying English at Pembroke?
I am not an English student but I know some and could ask any specific questions for you if you like.
yhyungryul
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Who's applying for natsci this year?!
DJMayes
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Attention all Pembroke Applicants

It's a beautiful day this morning so I took some pictures of most parts of the college for you all. Enjoy!

Old Court:

Spoiler:
Show

Ivy Court:

Spoiler:
Show

New Court:

Spoiler:
Show

Orchard Buildings (left), Foundress Court (right), and (a small part of) gardens:

Spoiler:
Show

Library (Left), Red Buildings, Chapel (Right):

Spoiler:
Show

My (New Court) Room:

Tortious
Report 5 years ago

It's a beautiful day this morning so I took some pictures of most parts of the college for you all. Enjoy!

Old Court:

Spoiler:
Show

Ivy Court:

Spoiler:
Show

New Court:

Spoiler:
Show

Orchard Buildings (left), Foundress Court (right), and (a small part of) gardens:

Spoiler:
Show

Spoiler:
Show

My (New Court) Room:

Aww, how thoughtful. I'd bookmark this post now ready for the next application cycle.
Robbie242
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Old Court:

Spoiler:
Show

Ivy Court:

Spoiler:
Show

New Court:

Spoiler:
Show

Spoiler:
Show

Spoiler:
Show

My (New Court) Room:

These are great photos DJ, I like the picture of New Court the most!
Tortious
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Robbie242)
These are great photos DJ, I like the picture of New Court the most!
My dad took graduation photos on that lawn. :awesome:

(Bonus points for anyone who gets a photo of the kitten(s). Any news on Marie's whereabouts?)
Robbie242
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tortious)
My dad took graduation photos on that lawn. :awesome:

(Bonus points for anyone who gets a photo of the kitten(s). Any news on Marie's whereabouts?)
What a great place to have a graduation photo :awesome:

I remember at the open day seeing one of the kittens near the accommodation block, but I heard one of them has gone missing? This is Marie I assume?
Tortious
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Robbie242)
What a great place to have a graduation photo :awesome:

I remember at the open day seeing one of the kittens near the accommodation block, but I heard one of them has gone missing? This is Marie I assume?
Yeah, the college adopted two black kittens after the old cat died. Their names are Marie and Millie.

Marie was the more boisterous one which was seen around college the most. In Easter last year the college announced that she'd gone AWOL and that we should keep an eye out. Around the same time the President of Queens' had his young cat go missing, although it's not clear whether it's connected.

Pembroke was concerned that Marie might've accidentally been shut in somewhere, but rumour has it someone's catnapped her. :sad:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (291)
37.55%
No - but I will (55)
7.1%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.23%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (373)
48.13%

Watched Threads