Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    It's really not all that it's cracked up to be!
    I don't believe in private schools, as one is made to pay extortionate amounts of money for education no better than state schools.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Private schools
    Depends on what private school to be honest , The Private school i went to ( Before sixth form ) Was fairly decent ..... wanted to leave for sixth form through
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Whiggy)
    I don't believe in private schools, as one is made to pay extortionate amounts of money for education no better than state schools.
    I would disagree with that totally. And if the education is no better than state schools, you're not losing anything. In any case, by having them, it's relieving pressure on the state schools.
    (Original post by hazzer1998)
    Depends on what private school to be honest , The Private school i went to ( Before sixth form ) Was fairly decent ..... wanted to leave for sixth form through
    Very very true.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Rakas21)
    You'll be on an ex council estate for less than 100k.
    There was a really good article in the telegraph detailing the best places in the uk for house affordibility as well as the happiness of the people living there. Id link it to you but im on mobile.

What i can get for 50k in stockton for example, is what id have to spend 400k on in london. Also, with a 15k deposit on a 50k house, im looking at a mortgage of abput 200pcm for 15 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would disagree with that totally. And if the education is no better than state schools, you're not losing anything. In any case, by having them, it's relieving pressure on the state schools
    Why pay for something that could be provided for free?
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I would disagree with that totally. And if the education is no better than state schools, you're not losing anything. In any case, by having them, it's relieving pressure on the state schools.

Very very true.
    Thats one of the main reason as to why i prefer private schools , and the students that go there tend to do better than students from mainstream schools ( because there is always that one students that takes schools as a joke and distracts others from learning hence dragging down the performance of other students ..... and there is always that teacher that doesn't know what their doing
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Very very true.
    Private schools do offer an advantage though, if i could afford it id pay from prep all the way to a private college as well as private tuition on top. A grammar school might be just as good and would mean saving money but if i can ill get them into the best school possible.

Its not about enjoyment, my kids can enjoy themselves when their a millionaire or prime minister. Until then, its work work work

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Whiggy)
    Why pay for something that could be provided for free?
    Why not... if that's what a family wants to do, why should they have to listen to someone telling them NO you can't pay for that...

Thats one of the main reason as to why i prefer private schools , and the students that go there tend to do better than students from mainstream schools ( because there is always that one students that takes schools as a joke and distracts others from learning hence dragging down the performance of other students ..... and there is always that teacher that doesn't know what their doing
    I think it does massively depend on what schools you compare them to... even for me, we had a lot of messing around in private school. Even locked my physics teacher out the classroom once!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Lime-man)
    Private schools do offer an advantage though, if i could afford it id pay from prep all the way to a private college as well as private tuition on top. A grammar school might be just as good and would mean saving money but if i can ill get them into the best school possible.

Its not about enjoyment, my kids can enjoy themselves when their a millionaire or prime minister. Until then, its work work work

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't get me wrong, I would definitely say that private schools do offer an advantage... To be honest, I think my comment about them being not what they're cracked up to be is more applicable to boarding school, rather than specifically private school!

If I had children, I'd send them to private school definitely!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    That would likely be the case in a private school too. State schools also have a minimum standard of teaching qualification as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Why not... if that's what a family wants to do, why should they have to listen to someone telling them NO you can't pay for that...

I think it does massively depend on what schools you compare them to... even for me, we had a lot of messing around in private school. Even locked my physics teacher out the classroom once!
    True , and the students that go there ..... i wasn't exactly the best behaved ( years 7-10 anyway ) ..... had my fair share of detentions
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Don't get me wrong, I would definitely say that private schools do offer an advantage... To be honest, I think my comment about them being not what they're cracked up to be is more applicable to boarding school, rather than specifically private school!

If I had children, I'd send them to private school definitely!
    If i have a boy id like to send him boarding at eton or harrow, does rely on me making at least £50k with the majority of that going to pay for his education though. Small price to pay, hell get contacts, a very good education, into a good university and will be the cuture home secretary for the conservatives or labour (I'll love him whether he is right or wrong, respectively )

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    That would likely be the case in a private school too. State schools also have a minimum standard of teaching qualification as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Of course you have misbehavior in private schools .... ( Heck , i was one of them ) however i think it's more common in state schools than private ......

True ... i guess
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    If i have a boy id like to send him boarding at eton or harrow, does rely on me making at least £50k with the majority of that going to pay for his education though. Small price to pay, hell get contacts, a very good education, into a good university and will be the cuture home secretary for the conservatives or labour (I'll love him whether he is right or wrong )

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeh, perhaps. I probably wouldn't send mine to Eton or Harrow, but that's my personal preference. My mum always wanted me to go to Harrow! I'd continue down the family line with mine. I remember when we had the GE, and when the Tories got the majority, pretty much my whole ****ing school was overjoyed!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    If i have a boy id like to send him boarding at eton or harrow, does rely on me making at least £50k with the majority of that going to pay for his education though. Small price to pay, hell get contacts, a very good education, into a good university and will be the cuture home secretary for the conservatives or labour (I'll love him whether he is right or wrong, respectively )

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What about a girl ? ......... I would send my children ( If i have ) to private school regardless of their gender ...... If my children were left wingers then there will be issues ( Jokes )
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Yeh, perhaps. I probably wouldn't send mine to Eton or Harrow, but that's my personal preference. My mum always wanted me to go to Harrow! I'd continue down the family line with mine. I remember when we had the GE, and when the Tories got the majority, pretty much my whole ****ing school was overjoyed!
    Ah , that glorious day !!!!! i must admit it was rather cloudy morning but the sun was shining in the afternoon ..... If i remember correctly i got a detention that day for watching the coverage rather than paying attention to some lesson
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    What about a girl ? ......... I would send my children ( If i have ) to private school regardless of their gender ...... If my children were left wingers then there will be issues ( Jokes )
    Eton is a boys only school.

Its also highly likely that my children will be left wing, which isnt an issue, theyll just have to come to their own understanding of the world. I probably wont ever be "rich" the most i can hope for is 40-50k so at least my kids wont grow up entitled

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Eton is a boys only school.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    My mistake .... thought you were on about private schools in general

................................ ................................ ................................ ................................ ....................

Around 400 migrants have drowned in the Mediterranean sea .... surly this will stop people coming ..... probably not
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I bet my mum a tenner the tories would win, she still hasnt given it to me yet

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well i was asking because there is a job opportunity up in stockton-on-tees, which means taking a pay cut but being able to buy a house. I can pay a deposit of up to £4k which is 5% of an £80k house (which is actually quite a lot of house). Interest rates are around 4% for first time buyers but even if we look at 4.5% over 25 years for £76k that would still leave me with more money than i have now, even woth a pay cut and mortgage (just goes to show how costly it is to live in london). But it all depends on me actually getting that mortgage. If i can get a 2 bed house for around £70k then thatll be me sorted.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You probably don't want to live in Stockton tbh, especially on that price range

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.