The Commons Bar Mk XIII - MHoC Chat Thread

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:

http://politicaltest.net/en/test/result/118431
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: jpg IMG_2147.jpg (349.7 KB, 33 views)

ReputationRep:
    I really don't get why Obama vetoed that bill and ruined his clean record when he knew it was going to be absolutely crushed.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    TBM seems awfully quiet about that legal battle that was supposed to be dick slapping Hunt and putting the DoH in their place...

Almost as quiet as the people who were saying the UK was going to become super uncompetitive if we voted to leave, actually, I tell a lie, the Beeb are continuing to show themselves unsuitable for public funding.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Great set of results from Jammy and Joe although not shocking in either case.

Secular and militaristic capitalism for the win.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    ??

ReputationRep:
    A very sad day for me today, after 4 years of membership, I resigned BMA membership today. From discussions with the BMA I think its become apparent that the rights of UK workers are not top priority for the BMA, rendering their use void. Additionally they've lacked resolve when needed, their media use has been poor, lack of support in key areas apparent, inability to discredit media and govt argument obvious.

I will be pursuing and advocating Unite/Unison as my trade union affiliate.*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by That Bearded Man)
    A very sad day for me today, after 4 years of membership, I resigned BMA membership today. From discussions with the BMA I think its become apparent that the rights of UK workers are not top priority for the BMA, rendering their use void. Additionally they've lacked resolve when needed, their media use has been poor, lack of support in key areas apparent, inability to discredit media and govt argument obvious.

I will be pursuing and advocating Unite/Unison as my trade union affiliate.*
    What are you going to do if Unite turns against Corbyn (which is not unlikely, he's already lost most unions)? Get Len McCluskey out, the new rallying cry for sane Labour supporters everywhere.

ReputationRep:
    The German CBI is calling for hard brexit, question is whether they counter intuitively think WTO tariffs will benefit them, or whether they think they have the influence we think they have and know they will be able to push the EU position to the one they really want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    What are you going to do if Unite turns against Corbyn (which is not unlikely, he's already lost most unions)? Get Len McCluskey out, the new rallying cry for sane Labour supporters everywhere.
    It wouldn't change anything, I support unions for their worker support, not their political views.

ReputationRep:
    Back from conference, if anyone does want to hear more about I might share a bit of the experience. In general there where times it felt really hostile, and the five minute section which ended up being an hour just on rule changes was awful in particular. On a more positive note however I felt really inspired by most of the fringes I went to (Angela Eagle being the only truthfully dreadful speaker) and getting to sing on stage with Corbyn to close conference was one of the mot nerve wracking things I have ever done, but also one of the best I must say.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kay_Winters)
    Back from conference, if anyone does want to hear more about I might share a bit of the experience. In general there where times it felt really hostile, and the five minute section which ended up being an hour just on rule changes was awful in particular. On a more positive note however I felt really inspired by most of the fringes I went to (Angela Eagle being the only truthfully dreadful speaker) and getting to sing on stage with Corbyn to close conference was one of the mot nerve wracking things I have ever done, but also one of the best I must say.
    Favourite/most inspiring moment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    Favourite/most inspiring moment?
    Tough, there were lots of great speeches, both by delegates and MPs, as well as excellent fringes. I would go with talking to Justin Madders MP about the issues in the health system in helping transgender people, and just having a forward, open discussion on the problems and issues and what Labour might try to do about it (one thing Madders suggested to me was he will put forward the idea of a shadow health minister for transgender people)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    TBM seems awfully quiet about that legal battle that was supposed to be dick slapping Hunt and putting the DoH in their place...

Almost as quiet as the people who were saying the UK was going to become super uncompetitive if we voted to leave, actually, I tell a lie, the Beeb are continuing to show themselves unsuitable for public funding.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Mainly because when I bring up anything junior doctor related you never actually respond to my questions, you state an unrelated point and don't respond to my direct query.

The legal case isn't too much of a surprise, but its funny how the media has jumped on this as "Hunt winning" - Hunt "won" because he was able to claim that he wasn't imposing a contract, and that it was the Trusts who were responsible. This could and should be seen as a positive, as it has verified who enforces it, but, through fining Trusts who don't enforce it, he really is imposing it, if even not according to law.

I would take this opportunity to push individual Trusts to allow them to work on a Temporary extension of the current contract until a new one is agreed, but the BMA has seemingly removed itself. I'm very angry at my union tbh.

Legal conclusion then is that Hunt is doing everything legally, but it does mean that there is potential to exploit that.

ReputationRep:
    Will Jeremy Corbyn be trying to be down with the kids and sing with someone or be on a video, as Neil Kinnock did?

ReputationRep:
    This is ridiculous
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37493165

ReputationRep:
    Tough, there were lots of great speeches, both by delegates and MPs, as well as excellent fringes. I would go with talking to Justin Madders MP about the issues in the health system in helping transgender people, and just having a forward, open discussion on the problems and issues and what Labour might try to do about it (one thing Madders suggested to me was he will put forward the idea of a shadow health minister for transgender people)
    Wow! That sounds really nice! A very exciting proposal! I do hope he keeps his promise :yy:

(Original post by RomanBowling33)
    This is ridiculous
    What is this world coming to? I do not know. :I

ReputationRep:
    This is ridiculous
    They actually admit the meme isnt racist or anything on their site

ReputationRep:
    "These anti-Semites have no shame," ADL's chief executive Jonathan A Greenblatt said. "They are abusing the image of a cartoon character, one that might at first seem appealing, to harass and spread hatred on social media.

Stupid righties.

ReputationRep:
    This is ridiculous
    Not as ridiculous as a presidential hopeful being scared of dank memes

Posted from TSR Mobile

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 3, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.