Turn on thread page Beta

OCR 2010 A2 Biology Unit 2 - Control, Genome and Environment watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Oh and I finished covering the whole bio syllabus about 10 minutes ago!! :woohoo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by win2kpro)
    Oh and I finished covering the whole bio syllabus about 10 minutes ago!! :woohoo:
    Good work! also student92 is a GIRLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liverpool F.C.™)
    Any chance you can send me those notes too, please ?

+rep available.

Yeah sure, ill pm you with them. Ill probs have 2 modules covered and written by friday and then ill type up others over the next week.

Ive been spending too much time on bio, need to do more chemistry and do computing.

ReputationRep:
    OMG you guys are absolute life savers!

seriously, student92 your notes may be the only thing keeping me sane atm.
    our teachers have been fairly ok, did mod 3 last year after AS exams and finished about a week ago, but had a lot of 'just go over these pages yourself' kinda stuff.

tbh one was stuck in the USA for like 2 weeks so that was a bit of a pain.

*worships people*

now to start on german *shudders*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dopeyangel101)
    OMG you guys are absolute life savers!

seriously, student92 your notes may be the only thing keeping me sane atm.
    our teachers have been fairly ok, did mod 3 last year after AS exams and finished about a week ago, but had a lot of 'just go over these pages yourself' kinda stuff.

tbh one was stuck in the USA for like 2 weeks so that was a bit of a pain.

*worships people*

now to start on german *shudders*
    Good luck and do well! My mocks next week

ReputationRep:
    Apical dominance is when the growth of the apical buds inhibits the growth of lateral shoots. the apical bud is dominant.

Auxin, which is produced in shoot tip, stimulates the growth of the apical bud and inhibits the growth of side shoots. If the shoot tip is cut off, then the auxin cant be produced, therefore auxin concentration in the shoots decreases. This causes the growth of lateral shoots.

Advantages of apical dominance: apical dominance prevents side shoots from competing with the shoot tip for light.

theres another advantage but can't remember.

is this right about leaf fall in decidious trees.

auxin usually inhibits leaf abscission by acting on cells on the abscission zone.
    leaf aging causes a decrease in auxin level at the tip of the leaf. A decrease in auxin concentration causes an increase of the production of ethene. Ethene increases the production of the enzyme cellulase which breaks down the cell walls of the cells in the abscission zone, therefore causing leaves to fall.

ReputationRep:
    Yep looks like it! Perfect

ReputationRep:
    can someone explain transcription briefly, like a mark scheme answer please, thanks

ReputationRep:
    is that directed to me?

(Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Yep looks like it! Perfect

ReputationRep:
    genetic engineering of insulin ( example)

The human insulin gene is obtained and isolated.
    it also involved a vector which are plasmids. plasmids are cut using restriction enzymes at specific base sequences. Both the gene and plasmid are cut using the same restriction enzyme. This forms complementary sticky ends or blunt ends. The gene is inserted into plasmid. DNA ligase seals the gene and plasmid as it joins the sugar - phosphate backbone and it joins the complementary sticky ends together. DNA ligase seals the nicks in the dna backbone. hydrogen bonds between complementary bases ie A to T an C to G.
    this forms recombinant plasmid. the plasmid is transferred to bacteria. Have to identify bacteria that have taken up plasmid. The bacteria are grown in in fermenter. Insulin is extracted and purified by downstream processing.

ReputationRep:
    had my chemistry mock and got 50% but it was the specimen paper and was crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TX22)
    can someone explain transcription briefly, like a mark scheme answer please, thanks
    Transcription is the first stage of protein synthesis in which a copy of the required gene from DNA held in the nucleus on linear chromosomes is made, and this copy is known as mRNA. It is complementary to the template strand of DNA, and therefore is a copy of the base sequence for that section of DNA.

The process:

The DNA to be copied dips into the nucleolus where there are activated RNA nucleotides present, these contain a phosphoryl group on them. THe DNA unwinds and unzips, and the hydrogen bonds between the double strands break to form 2 single strands. The RNA nucleotides are added on to the single strand according to complementary base pairing rules by action of enzyme (A with U, G with C). Once the end of the strand has been reached, the mRNA peels off the template strand of DNA and leaves the nucleus through a nuclear pore.

This attaches onto a ribosome, either bound to the RER or free-floating within the cytoplasm.

ReputationRep:
    I've covered pretty much all module 4 now, so if anyone has any questions please ask!

ReputationRep:
    hey guys, sorry if this is a really dumb questions but i havent been following the thread..
    is there a question pack anywhere for this topic?

you know, like the big question back for f214?

i have looked at the first page of this thread and the question pack link just sends me to some software download page..
    confused much!? =yes

thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Archen)
    hey guys, sorry if this is a really dumb questions but i havent been following the thread..
    is there a question pack anywhere for this topic?

you know, like the big question back for f214?

i have looked at the first page of this thread and the question pack link just sends me to some software download page..
    confused much!? =yes

thanks!!
    I don't think there's one posted yet.

But like Liverpool F.C. said here it can be compiled for the new spec, using a program called ExamQuest. So people please ask your teachers, already asked mines but he doesn't have it.

Similar one was done for chem over here. Was very useful. Clean, printer friendly pages, saving a lot of time searching for the papers and compiling them topic by topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibysaiyan)
    Awesome. Thanks for that funny enough the cerebrum bit made me lol for a sec... seeing as I myself had a bad ass accident in which my cerebrum was knocked perty hard that I was unconscious for a whole day or more!( yep that cabbage would've been totaled if the pressure was few more pascal ))

Also dont forget about the limbic system which deals with keeping in of memory which is specifically dealt by hippocampus ( yes a hippo lol) and that the function of left hemisphere to that of right varies a lot.
    With left being related more into logical thinking,problem solving(scientists) while right users take approach visually as in the case of artists and all.

The region of the brain where writing and speaking of language is processed is in the Barcos region while understanding one occurs in Wernickes region.
    Why are you so knowledgable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Falcon91)
    As for CSF, its not in the book but i was given a question from a PPQ (maybe its not needed anymore) but my teacher still went through it but i dont think its needed specifically - no.
    Im typing up the (revision) notes that ive posted (and im currently spamming these forums cos im streaming the fulham-atletico game :P).

Check out Student92's posts (easiest way is check his profile and look at all his posts), hes made a tonne of really helpful revision notes which cover all of the important parts of each spread of the module.
    hey could you send me your notes please?

ReputationRep:
    I starting making this powerpoint according to the spec but I stopped when you all told me I was going to fail because I hadn't finish making notes on everything yet :bawling: I don't know if I should carry on with the rest of the spec...is this useful for anyone?
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: pptx Module 1 Powerpoint.pptx (506.6 KB, 312 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I Have No Imagination)
    I starting making this powerpoint according to the spec but I stopped when you all told me I was going to fail because I hadn't finish making notes on everything yet :bawling: I don't know if I should carry on with the rest of the spec...is this useful for anyone?
    I suppose it helps to make revision a bit more fun......not bad good work......

Having a crisis of confidence here. Is the template strand of the DNA double helix just an alternative name for the coding strand......or are they complementary strands?........this is how I was taught at my school, they say the book has got it all wrong.......seriously confused.........anyone to shed light on this?......thanks.....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DR_X)
    I suppose it helps to make revision a bit more fun......not bad good work......

Having a crisis of confidence here. Is the template strand of the DNA double helix just an alternative name for the coding strand......or are they complementary strands?........this is how I was taught at my school, they say the book has got it all wrong.......seriously confused.........anyone to shed light on this?......thanks.....
    The template strand is not an alternative name for the coding strand. The coding strand has a nucleotide sequence complementary to the template strand..

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 29, 2014

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.