University of Liverpool Accommodation Thread Watch

sayyes
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
[QUOTE=WhiteWash;43416552]I stayed in Melville last year, in a "standard" sized room (the cheaper one...). There are 5 standard and 2 large rooms per house. One A room on the ground floor, and then 2 A's and a B on both the 1st and 2nd floors. There's a bathroom on every floor, with the kitchen and "utility room" (it has the freezer in....) on the ground floor.

I'd say the B rooms are probably about a third bigger than the A's? Note that you don't get any extra built in storage (cupboards/shelves etc.) - just more floor space.

Thanks for that. So the utility room is a good storage area. I like the idea of Melville being close to sports centre and uni. Did you find it was noisy being on Grove Street?

I think that there's no common room but is there a garden/ grassy area to sit and chat and get to know people? Whats the student union bar like in Abercromby Square or did you go to new bar in Vine Court as it was near?
WhiteWash
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by sayyes)
Thanks for that. So the utility room is a good storage area. I like the idea of Melville being close to sports centre and uni. Did you find it was noisy being on Grove Street?

I think that there's no common room but is there a garden/ grassy area to sit and chat and get to know people? Whats the student union bar like in Abercromby Square or did you go to new bar in Vine Court as it was near?
I guess you could store stuff in there if you wanted? Ours only ever housed the freezer, mop and some other cleaning stuff.

There is no communal common room - we'd just make do with people's kitchens. Sure there's a bit of grass round the car parks and people do sit out in the summer and whatnot. And obviously Abercrombey square is just round the corner,

Regarding bars, well I haven't been to the guild bar since freshers week, and that was when it was in the old/main building (currently being refurbished) not their current Abercrombey place. I don't know a single person who's been to the Vine Court bar (even those that live there). Though admittedly it had only been open about 6 weeks at the end of term. Living where we did with town and the like minutes away there were just better places (might I recommend The Font pub...... ).
Bethforrester
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by NikoWatio)
Im choosing prospect point. I go out ont' regularr
Iv applied for liberty prospect and I go out on the reg so they might have had a bad experience but there's a whole load of new people coming through so it's best not to listen to past references and listen to people who are new tithe halls
Bethforrester
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by minicuckoo)
I really want to go to prospect point but i was also worried that I would be stuck with people who wont go out!
Dont be iv applied and I go out a lot so your not alone ..!!
jamzzster
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
At Derby and Rathbone halls, on average how many people share self catered accommodation? To be specific if needs be I've applied for a ensuite room too
WhiteWash
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LemonGingerTea)
Carnatic and Greenbank are most British undergraduates, whereas on campus are mostly postgraduates and international students. For that reason, Carnatic and Greenbank are 'the freshers' halls', while the other places are a bit posher...
I'd take this with a pinch of salt. A reasonable number of home students live on campus and the only postgrads I've ever seen are the Residential Advisors. And whilst Vine Court maybe the "flagship" (and hence expensive) hall on campus, there are others more in line with the off-campus price range and quality (but self-catered), plus obviously the private sector offering.
LemonGingerTea
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by WhiteWash)
I'd take this with a pinch of salt. A reasonable number of home students live on campus and the only postgrads I've ever seen are the Residential Advisors. And whilst Vine Court maybe the "flagship" (and hence expensive) hall on campus, there are others more in line with the off-campus price range and quality (but self-catered), plus obviously the private sector offering.
There are private sector halls that the university puts students into - Prospect, Opal, Liberty. I used to live in one like this (a Unite place)- and it was mostly internationals/non-freshers. That was great, I got my head down. But it's not a good experience for a fresher who wants to put a social network together in the first year.

Then on campus, Mulberry is totally postgrad, Vine Court has a mix of, postgrads and freshers, and Melville is a mix of (some) freshers and mostly postgrads. Most postgrads at Liverpool are international. They are awesome, but again, they have different priorities to freshers.

Finally Carnatic and Greenbank are 'community based' student villages. They have no postgrads. This means that everyone there is in the same boat; they want to get out there, make friends, and put together a social network.

I get a bit bothered because I think students sometimes think 'I must have ensuite and self-catering', but that's going to be a lonely experience. You only really want that stuff, when you've already got mates in the area.
Bek123
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Cant log on to apply as its saying invalid ID/PIN!! So annoying ive emailed the accommodation office just waiting for a reply
sayyes
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by LemonGingerTea)
There are private sector halls that the university puts students into - Prospect, Opal, Liberty. I used to live in one like this (a Unite place)- and it was mostly internationals/non-freshers. That was great, I got my head down. But it's not a good experience for a fresher who wants to put a social network together in the first year.

Then on campus, Mulberry is totally postgrad, Vine Court has a mix of, postgrads and freshers, and Melville is a mix of (some) freshers and mostly postgrads. Most postgrads at Liverpool are international. They are awesome, but again, they have different priorities to freshers.

Finally Carnatic and Greenbank are 'community based' student villages. They have no postgrads. This means that everyone there is in the same boat; they want to get out there, make friends, and put together a social network.

I get a bit bothered because I think students sometimes think 'I must have ensuite and self-catering', but that's going to be a lonely experience. You only really want that stuff, when you've already got mates in the area.
Both Melville Grove and Tudor Close are undergraduate only this year and are university owned so can join in inter hall sports competitions. As more halls are being built in the city and the student guild is being revamped, it should = more going on in the city centre without having to wait for the bus. Everyone at Greenbank that I spoke with said that there is a problem with buses being full of Carnatic students.
rachelxoxo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bethforrester)
I'm living at prospect point can't wait for September

OMG I'm hoping on living there too
PeterJamesRice
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Chessieee)
Hi!
I enjoy nights out (I'd say 2-3 a week, if i have enough money!), and for me Prospect Point seems perfect! I want en-suite, self catered!
That's basically me! :P I've applied for Prospect Point as well!
jonnny
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Any unconditionals/deferred entry from last year got their accommodation yet? I thought they were supposed to be giving room offers mid-july
Gabi27
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jonnny)
Any unconditionals/deferred entry from last year got their accommodation yet? I thought they were supposed to be giving room offers mid-july
Not yet - I read on a facebook group that we should hear by the end of this week so fingers crossed, don't think I can wait any longer aha
Bethforrester
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by PeterJamesRice)
That's basically me! :P I've applied for Prospect Point as well!
Me too!!
Bethforrester
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rachelxoxo)
OMG I'm hoping on living there too
Do you know your flat number yet I do??
rachelxoxo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Bethforrester)
Do you know your flat number yet I do??
Oh my gosh, do you? That's good and well done for getting in if it was your first choice of uni! No I don't I'm still waiting
Bethforrester
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by rachelxoxo)
Oh my gosh, do you? That's good and well done for getting in if it was your first choice of uni! No I don't I'm still waiting
I do know but they did say it could change ?? But like a week after I applied it was fully booked and yes it was my first choice
jonnny
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Anybody else get their room offer today? I got Dale catered!
cakeyface99
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by jonnny)
Anybody else get their room offer today? I got Dale catered!
Congratulations!

Did you find out through e-mail or post? I've already got an unconditional offer, and I thought that would mean I would be one of the first to find out. I'm worrying now...
jonnny
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by cakeyface99)
Congratulations!

Did you find out through e-mail or post? I've already got an unconditional offer, and I thought that would mean I would be one of the first to find out. I'm worrying now...
Cheers man, I got it through email. I wouldn't worry, I deferred my entry from last year so I guess I must be one of the very first. Yours will come through soon I would imagine, where did you apply for anyway?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Liverpool
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 21 Jun '19
    Sat, 22 Jun '19
    Sat, 21 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (121)
39.54%
No - but I will (16)
5.23%
No - I don't want to (20)
6.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (149)
48.69%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed