This discussion is closed.
Brand New Eyes
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by roseroserose.)
Tests:
All candidates must take the History Aptitude Test (HAT) on 2 November 2011, as for History.

AND

Candidates shortlisted for interview will take the Economics test in December 2011. For information on how to register please see December tests.

---------------------------------------------

I think that's what I was on about. Not as 'official' as the HAT, but still. Though I;d have to get shortlisted first

Haha sounds like a plan!
Oh I see! sorry! :P How very sly of Oxford... slipping that in quietly.

I guess the main focus is on History. Are you on Edexcel?

Indeed. 66 days till Results
Planar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Somerville College - Classics.
roseroserose.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Brand New Eyes)
Oh I see! sorry! :P How very sly of Oxford... slipping that in quietly.

I guess the main focus is on History. Are you on Edexcel?

Indeed. 66 days till Results
Hahaha indeed! I wasn't very impressed when I looked it up, it just caught my eye when I looked at the HAT details.

Yeah pretty much, I'm much more enthusiastic about history anyway. No I'm with WJEC, our little Welshy board it's an absolute nightmare, we study the Tudors and they love asking about Welsh rebellions, even though they barely existed. It was more or less a man running around with a pitchfork like "give me back my land!!".

Oh dear that sounds soon! Mad considering I still have 3 exams to go.
What year are you in / What are you doing [quite an open ended question haha] ?
Brand New Eyes
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Hahaha indeed! I wasn't very impressed when I looked it up, it just caught my eye when I looked at the HAT details.

Yeah pretty much, I'm much more enthusiastic about history anyway. No I'm with WJEC, our little Welshy board it's an absolute nightmare, we study the Tudors and they love asking about Welsh rebellions, even though they barely existed. It was more or less a man running around with a pitchfork like "give me back my land!!".

Oh dear that sounds soon! Mad considering I still have 3 exams to go.
What year are you in / What are you doing [quite an open ended question haha] ?
So typically Oxford, wouldn't be surprised if during lunch all the dons go... POP QUIZ!

Oh them! yeah I've heard of them, not many schools in England that do it though I don't think :/ Aww-eee! We did modern history, such a snore as we did it for GCSE Tsarist Russia + Lenin, Korean+ Vietnam War.

Hehe, should've gone with the big three! All AS exams finished on Tuesday Good luck with whatevers left (which I guess is Maths A2?)

2 months and a bit... so in other words a lifetime away! wishing it was soooner. I hate waiting xD

Year 12, L'histoire, le mathematiques, L'economiques, la politique et la chinois *dont know the word for Further maths in French* haha and I'm applying for PPE
Unconventional.
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Username: Unconventional.
GCSE: 8 A*s and 1 A, + 1 A* short course ( + an AiDA pass + Certificate in Career Planning which was some really stupid ASDAN course that my school made us do :|)
AS/A Levels: English Literature & Language (A2 target grade = A* and I have a mid-A on the AS coursework), French (A2 target grade = A), General Studies, Government & Politics (A2 target grade = A*), and Philosophy (AS target grade = A, and I don't intend to continue it at A2).
Subject: Law, or Law with French Law.
College: Either St. John's or New.

Is anybody here doing the EPQ? I have the option of doing it at my school but when I went to Oxford's Faculty of Law open day earlier in the year, I was told that it does not benefit an Oxford law application in any way.
anyone_can_fly
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Bright Lights)
I'm so fussy with uni's, I cannot choose an insurance! What are people generally going for as their 5th choice? I'm toying with Exeter because its really pretty, but its still in the top 15 or so for Economics...it's apparently not had to get an offer from, butt the offer will be high, which won't do as a parachute because I need one that'll accept me if I don't get good grades.
I've got this problem too. I was toying with applying to UCL, which would have made my fifth choice St Andrews, which isn't a very safe choice! And then I heard some bad things about the UCL maths teaching, and looking around UCL it didn't seem like maths was one of the university's strengths or priorities. So I got put off that, and now have no ideas. If I went for Glasgow or Aberdeen I could probably get an unconditional (and there aren't fees for Scots), but I don't really want to go to either of them. I'm looking for the mythical university that's easy to get into and gives low offers, but still offers a good and challenging maths course (as well as ideally not being a campus, being pretty, etc.). :confused:

66 days till Results
53 if you're Scottish

We have this! A third of the course was "Scotland and the Great War". You had to go around talking about how the Scots lost more men proportionally than the English, and the Scots had a reputation as brave fighters, and explain the impact of the war on the Dundee jute industry.
dnumberwang
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by anyone_can_fly)
I've got this problem too. I was toying with applying to UCL, which would have made my fifth choice St Andrews, which isn't a very safe choice! And then I heard some bad things about the UCL maths teaching, and looking around UCL it didn't seem like maths was one of the university's strengths or priorities. So I got put off that, and now have no ideas. If I went for Glasgow or Aberdeen I could probably get an unconditional (and there aren't fees for Scots), but I don't really want to go to either of them. I'm looking for the mythical university that's easy to get into and gives low offers, but still offers a good and challenging maths course (as well as ideally not being a campus, being pretty, etc.). :confused:
What's UCL like? I was gonna go to their open day but booking for it has closed
Bright Lights
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Most of Exeter's offers for Econ are A*AA

My point exactly! I ca't exactly list it as my insurance if its higher than/equal to my firm!
anyone_can_fly
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by dnumberwang)
What's UCL like? I was gonna go to their open day but booking for it has closed
Well, I've not been to an open day, I've just wandered around, so this may not be the best guide. It seemed to me that as a university, there's a lot going on. They join up with other London unis for entertainment things, so there's basically a community of 100,000 students or so. In the centre of Oxford every other person's a student, whereas by the time you've walked one street away from UCL they've faded into the crowd. It felt a wee bit too unstudenty and anonymous to me, but I think a lot of people really like it. I have a friend who goes there and she made friends really quickly and loves living in London.

The maths department is on floors 5 - 8 of the Student Union building. It has about 50 undergraduates, and the lecture rooms still have chalkboards. This was why I got the impression that maths isn't exactly one of UCL's strengths. I also thought that could affect how many options were offered in the final years.

In summary, not for everyone, but if it's your kind of thing you could have a great time? Polar opposite of Warwick.
candide
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
We have this! A third of the course was "Scotland and the Great War". You had to go around talking about how the Scots lost more men proportionally than the English, and the Scots had a reputation as brave fighters, and explain the impact of the war on the Dundee jute industry.
We did the Treaty of Union...

the textbook was poorly disguised SNP propaganda and so boring that I wouldn't be surprised if it turned this year's entire S5 History cohort into vehement anti-Unionists...
Niki_girl
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Unconventional.)
Username: Unconventional.
GCSE: 8 A*s and 1 A, + 1 A* short course ( + an AiDA pass + Certificate in Career Planning which was some really stupid ASDAN course that my school made us do :|)
AS/A Levels: English Literature & Language (A2 target grade = A* and I have a mid-A on the AS coursework), French (A2 target grade = A), General Studies, Government & Politics (A2 target grade = A*), and Philosophy (AS target grade = A, and I don't intend to continue it at A2).
Subject: Law, or Law with French Law.
College: Either St. John's or New.

Is anybody here doing the EPQ? I have the option of doing it at my school but when I went to Oxford's Faculty of Law open day earlier in the year, I was told that it does not benefit an Oxford law application in any way.
I'm doing the EPQ!

It's completely unrelated for the subject I want to apply for, but I think they appreciate the learning process and individual research that you have to do for the project.

For example, mine is on behavioural biology/ psychology but I want to apply for History HOWEVER, the "relevant experiences of completing the Extended Project Qualification" can be "Drawn upon" when I write my Personal Statement, according to Oxford, and although I can't speak for Law I personally think the Extended Project is a good thing for any application (assuming you're not just applying to Oxford) and therefore I would do it if offered, as you can do it on whatever and it's all in all a great "learning" experience, seriously it's really different managing your own project for once! :rolleyes:
Unconventional.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Ah, ok, thanks for the feedback!

Do you think it would be better do my EPQ on a completely different topic than any of my subjects in order to make myself seem more well-rounded? Of course, still something that I am interested in though. I was thinking of doing some kind of psychology/somewhat scientific topic for my EPQ if I did do it, because all of my subjects are essay based so I was thinking that something vaguely scientific may demonstrate that I am more versatile?
fluteflute
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Unconventional.)
Do you think it would be better do my EPQ on a completely different topic than any of my subjects in order to make myself seem more well-rounded? Of course, still something that I am interested in though. I was thinking of doing some kind of psychology/somewhat scientific topic for my EPQ if I did do it, because all of my subjects are essay based so I was thinking that something vaguely scientific may demonstrate that I am more versatile?
I don't think so. My impression (from a Computer Science open day) of what Oxford really want, is people who are really super passionate about their subject - so an EPQ related to subject would make most sense.

Although Law told you it's no advantage, I think if you can get going on it now so that you can write about it in your personal statement (and possibly it could be discussed at interview) a subject specific one would be useful.
anyone_can_fly
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by candide)
We did the Treaty of Union...

the textbook was poorly disguised SNP propaganda and so boring that I wouldn't be surprised if it turned this year's entire S5 History cohort into vehement anti-Unionists...
Our most exciting lesson was watching this. I wish I'd been in last year's higher class instead.
Unconventional.
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by fluteflute)
I don't think so. My impression (from a Computer Science open day) of what Oxford really want, is people who are really super passionate about their subject - so an EPQ related to subject would make most sense.

Although Law told you it's no advantage, I think if you can get going on it now so that you can write about it in your personal statement (and possibly it could be discussed at interview) a subject specific one would be useful.
Ah, ok. Thanks for the feedback, I'll bear that in mind.

Those of you who have already decided which college you are going to apply to, what were the factors that influenced your decision?
AlexusWelsh1993
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Well hello there! Everyone thinks I'm applying to read English at Oxford but I've secretly decided not to... mwahhaaha!
Edit: I don't think I'll get in and don't want to waste a UCAS slot!
It's not my A2 predictions etc that worry me, it's my GCSEs. English is extremely competetive:
A*A*A*AAAAAABB (the bs were in Maths and ICT, which I frankly despised.)
I was set for getting 5 As at AS (one being in General Studies, which they don't even look at) but I think I screwed up Spanish, and have got a B. So it would be AAAAB...
A2 Predictions are likely to be:
Drama: A*
R.S: A*
English: A/A*
Spanish: B/A (If I promise to work my ass off, and to retake the written paper in January).

The thing is, I also love UCL, and my head of year said that UCL may be put off if I also apply for Oxford... they consider themselves 'on a par' etc etc. They'd know aswell; I'd have to send my UCAS form in really early.

So, although I was planning to apply to both and have been encouraged to by my subjects teachers, my evil head of year has worried me again What am I to do? Do I stand a chance? Am I putting all my eggs into one basket? Also considering warwick, York, Edinburgh (although they're determination to have loads of 'GCSEs at A*' makes them look snooty) Nottingham...
tohuwabohu
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
How are they supposed to know that you're actually applying to Oxford? At the open day in Warwick they said that the admissions people honestly don't care when you send in your application.

(Original post by AlexusWelsh1993)
Well hello there! Everyone thinks I'm applying to read English at Oxford but I've secretly decided not to... mwahhaaha!
Edit: I don't think I'll get in and don't want to waste a UCAS slot!
It's not my A2 predictions etc that worry me, it's my GCSEs. English is extremely competetive:
A*A*A*AAAAAABB (the bs were in Maths and ICT, which I frankly despised.)
I was set for getting 5 As at AS (one being in General Studies, which they don't even look at) but I think I screwed up Spanish, and have got a B. So it would be AAAAB...
A2 Predictions are likely to be:
Drama: A*
R.S: A*
English: A/A*
Spanish: B/A (If I promise to work my ass off, and to retake the written paper in January).

The thing is, I also love UCL, and my head of year said that UCL may be put off if I also apply for Oxford... they consider themselves 'on a par' etc etc. They'd know aswell; I'd have to send my UCAS form in really early.

So, although I was planning to apply to both and have been encouraged to by my subjects teachers, my evil head of year has worried me again What am I to do? Do I stand a chance? Am I putting all my eggs into one basket? Also considering warwick, York, Edinburgh (although they're determination to have loads of 'GCSEs at A*' makes them look snooty) Nottingham...
nightmare91
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MeeMee)
I know I wasn't asked but I'll say something anyway since I'm German, too. The main problem I have with German unis is that you usually do either macro or microeconomics (and you usually don't combine either with politics and philosophy which is what I want as I'm going for PPE). Anyway, I suppose you'd do BWL? I'd guess that that's more like E&M. But yeah, since I want to do micro and macro... and politics and philosophy... I don't think German unis are the place for me.
Actually I would never do BWL. I have it as a subject in school and I don't really like it, at least not to study it for 3 years at university. I also have economics at school and I like it waaayy more. But I think E&M only has management courses in the first year and then you can choose your courses as you want to.. But I agree with you, you can't really combine courses like philosophy, politics and economics. My sister is studying Economics and Politics, but she will only get her Bachelor in Politics and not in Economics since it is just not possible here and that is sad somehow... I was also thinking about applying for PPE but I am a little bit concerned about the philosophy part. I have philosophy at school and it is just horrible, but maybe that's also because my teacher is horrible...
What college are you applying to?
candide
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Our most exciting lesson was watching this. I wish I'd been in last year's higher class instead.
People like that is exactly why I don't want to study history at uni...

(before I get any negs: I love history, I'm part of a historical society, alongside a bunch of amateur historians who imo are far more interesting than the tiresome denizens of scottish history faculties!)
AlexusWelsh1993
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Phia7)
How are they supposed to know that you're actually applying to Oxford? At the open day in Warwick they said that the admissions people honestly don't care when you send in your application.
Ahh I just successfully quoted someone XD Well, because the Oxford deadline is October 15th, my teacher said that they'll guess... But then again, if I don't get UCL, I might not get Warwick, I might not get York etc etc....!
I'll just have to see about my results; perhaps I'll be pleasantly surprised! Out of interest, does anyone know someone who's got into Oxford or UCL to read English with grades similar to mine? Ta
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (203)
27.58%
No (533)
72.42%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise