Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I didn't get enough time for the 10 marker

I explained the splitting patterns (quartet, triplet etc.) and said where the chemical shifts lied, also used the N+1 rule. Would I get a few marks for that?

ReputationRep:
    I'm so annoyed about the HNMR! I scribbled out the correct answer and wrote another one that was wrong I managed to do everything else but the structure. Any ideas how many marks that would have lost me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YingYang)
    I didn't get enough time for the 10 marker

I explained the splitting patterns (quartet, triplet etc.) and said where the chemical shifts lied, also used the N+1 rule. Would I get a few marks for that?
    I think as long as you deduced the molecular formula and fragment ions and spoke about shifts and splitting patterns you will be okay!

ReputationRep:
    Everything else but structure should be about 8 maria
    I came out of this exam crying.. why did ocr have to base the whole paper on polymers , eurgh, hardly anything on benzene...
    What did everyone else think.? x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maria_jackson)
    I'm so annoyed about the HNMR! I scribbled out the correct answer and wrote another one that was wrong I managed to do everything else but the structure. Any ideas how many marks that would have lost me?
    I think if you've done everything and showed some possibilities of structures, you should get 8/10..I think you lose 2 marks for not showing the final/correct structure.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by JoeLatics)
    I got the 10 marker right, but the rest of the paper... :P

Did anyone else get confused with the 3rd polymerisation question? The one where you had to reduce & oxidise the molecule to get a dioic acid and a dialcohol (don't know its proper name! ) Both answer boxes pointed to the same box... I didn't catch on that we were supposed to be adding them together, seeing as there was no + sign! Feel like a right numpty now!
    At least you didn't randomly forget how to chlorinate benzene like me haha, figured it out at the very last minute :lolwut:

For the polymerisations, what did you answer for the type of polymerisations?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by faz_341)
    guys isolectric point: where there is no overall charge across the amino acid?
    I put the pH at which a zwitterion exists

ReputationRep:
    Well i think i got about 8 on the NMR thing cos i couldn't work out the structure never mind, but generally hated the paper...
    What do you think you will need to get marks wise for a B?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phenylethylamine_)
    I think if you've done everything and showed some possibilities of structures, you should get 8/10..I think you lose 2 marks for not showing the final/correct structure.
    Thanks I did the empirical formula, molecular formula, fragment ions, molecular mass, discussed shifts and splitting patterns and suggested one structure (which was wrong) Hopefully it won't be too awful!!

ReputationRep:
    I think this will help regarding the paracetamol qs, a similar question in Jan 2010 paper:
    mark scheme:

Haha, I saw that you had alkinator on your toolbar...i've now been playing it for about 10 minutes :L

ReputationRep:
    hmm I'm thinking 55? It was easier than usual..or is that ridiculously high? :/
    Yeah I would be surprised at 55, in the summer it was 49 (with 44 for an A). Maybe 48-51

ReputationRep:
    After explaining about the splitting patterns, integration trace and chemical shifts for the last question I accidentally drew the wrong isomer. How many do you think I've lost?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyrae24294)
    Everything else but structure should be about 8 maria
    I came out of this exam crying.. why did ocr have to base the whole paper on polymers , eurgh, hardly anything on benzene...
    What did everyone else think.? x
    Thank you Not too bad then It was rather different to past papers I've seen! There were some rather hefty synthesis questions in there!

ReputationRep:
    i generally found the paper ok, but did anyone else find the cyclic dimer question hard to work out?

ReputationRep:
    I checked in the book and the synthesis page does not show that you can reduce it to an alcohol! anywhere! so i believe it was a mistake and will be contacting ocr!

ReputationRep:
    It was all based on polymers! Really different to any others ive done... :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chemicalX)
    I checked in the book and the synthesis page does not show that you can reduce it to an alcohol! anywhere! so i believe it was a mistake and will be contacting ocr!
    This has been discussed, you can reduce carboxylic acids, you don't need to know how to answer the question.

See here for the mechanism: http://www.chemguide.co.uk/organicpr...reduction.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kathybb)
    i generally found the paper ok, but did anyone else find the cyclic dimer question hard to work out?
    YES! It took forever! But I think I got there in the end

ReputationRep:
    I found the dimers questions hard to work out kathy :L

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by proxy)
    yeah it was wrong, confused me for a second!
    I knew my eyes weren't fooling me! I'm gonna make sure this gets appealed because fair enough it was a small error, but it tried to tell you the ester's formula which was totally wrong, and it could have mislead some people. Furthermore it shows that no matter how many times people say "Oh its been read like a hundred billion times for errors", they obviously don't check thoroughly enough. What if next time they completely get a question wrong? Its not like our qualifications and uni places depend on it.

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.