Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    lol. this thread is so quiet... any 2007 JC1 students.. taking a levels in 2008?

ReputationRep:
    Hey...can I just ask. For the humanities scholarship that MOE awards to students going into JC, how do IP students apply? And like how are the grades looked at?
    They just look at your IP grades. All of us who applied for the Humans scholarship from my batch's year got the provisional and all but two I think got the scholarship, no problem despite the fact that some of their grades in the earlier IP years and even the later two years were really crap.

In fact I'd say being an IP student even gives you an advantage.

ReputationRep:
    *whooosh*

ReputationRep:
    Hi, anyone here? This thread does seem quiet.

Am someone who ORDed last year and heading to Warwick this year to do MMORSE.

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, I live in Singapore and go to an international school here. So....let's spice up this thread!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gobsmacker)
    Hey everyone, I live in Singapore and go to an international school here. So....let's spice up this thread!
    Law in the UK is a great subject.

But maybe only for me, that is. Opinions vary fairly widely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jeremymjr)
    Law in the UK is a great subject.

But maybe only for me, that is. Opinions vary fairly widely.
    I hope it is! Since that's where I'm planning to go. :p:
    Are you studying law at the moment?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gobsmacker)
    I hope it is! Since that's where I'm planning to go. :p:
    Are you studying law at the moment?
    HI GOBSMACKER!!! *waves*

Whaasssaaaap.

and Hi, fellow living-in-singapore-eans.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crayons)
    To the Lamo who neg repped me with this message:"The contents in IP schools are nowhere near the standards at top British schools. Essentially, all the schools in Singapore are still below the top British standards. Think before you post nonsense again."

You might want to read the message again? I was talking about IP VS O level taking schools within Singapore. If you can't read properly, top spewing rubbish.

Also, you might want to know that the strictly speaking in terms of syllabus, Singaporean schools cover practically double the content that British schools do. And yes that's all Singaporean schools offering O levels, in comparison with the final examinations [GCSE's] offered by Wycombe Abbey, Eton, Cheltenham Ladies', St. Swithuns and even the top Westminster. And yes, I have seen these school brochures and have looked at the individual syllabuses. A friend was migrating to England and got all these. She was elated because she had covered some stuff in O's that she is now being taught in the Lower Sixth.
    I'm Singaporean and I went to CLC for the sixth form (in my last year now). Theoretically, we do less content for our AS/A2 Levels than students in Singapore do for their A levels for certain subjects (e.g. A2 Maths is simpler than H2 Maths). However, for other subjects like English we do much more. For A2 English we have to do 4 books for AS and 4 books for A2 plus lots of wider reading around the period for the synoptic paper while I remember at VJ (which I was at for 6 months) we only had like 5 set texts or something? While I can see the merits in both systems, I feel that the education I have received at CLC has enabled me to think for myself more than that in Singapore. I remember my Econs lectures at VJ which was an hour of boredom listening to a moody lecturer in the chair reading off her notes which she had already printed off for us. At school here, we debate issues in lessons and discussion is driven as much by students than teachers. We had small sets (all my classes have about 6-8 people in them) and hence more opportunities to talk about stuff in the syllabus..and surprise surprise.. a lot of stuff out of the syllabus. Our lives (for most people anyway) are not driven entirely by the need to do well in exams.. we don't start revising for our A levels 8 months in advance but we spend more time learning beyond the syllabus and appreciating the links between the diff subjects. In addition, the extra curriculars offered here are limitless. I remember in secondary school we had to join one or at most two CCAs but here I can do as much as I like as long as I manage my time properly. There are like a gezillion societies which meet regularly and hold talks by various speakers... in the last year and a half I have been to talks on philosophy, science, maths, english, history, classics etc...

So I guess at the end of the day both systems have been merits and it really depends on the individual... at CLC everything is pretty much up to you. You can study just for exams or you can make use of the opportunities available at the school to learn much more than the syllabus entails..

ReputationRep:
    I entirely agree with you on the whole extra-curric. bit, and the more interesting style of learning. Singapore JCs are, for the most of it, driven by one thing- academic performance at A levels. CCAs come in second to it, and they make no secret of this. Also, the style of teaching in western schools is something that really appeals to me. Their out-of-the-box style of teaching and encouragement of discussion is something S'pore could use a lot more of.

But I must say that Singapore has been making an effort [although the kiasu attitude just remains firmly embedded in the mind of every one here]. The IP schools i.e Raffles, Hwachong, Nanyang etc. are doing a lot more out-of-syllabus stuff in secondary schools. But I suppose the diff lies in how the O levels have to be scraped for this extra stuff to take place.

In JCs there ARE programmes that can be joined as well that allow out-of-syllabus teaching- humanities prog and talent progs for sciences etc...So in a way I suppose it's not so much the fault of the system as it is the attitude of the citizens.

But nonetheless, the all-rounded education [and by this I don't mean forcing a CCA on students], is given more in the western countries.

Btw, my friend and I were both looking up schools like CLC and Wycombe, and were both really interested in going there! I personally was more for CLC. It has an amazing boarding culture and loads of Asian kids which kind of helps with the settling in. In the end though, I found a prog in Singapore which suits me and I haven't got regrets. But CLC would have been an appealing alternative.

ReputationRep:
    The IP schools i.e Raffles, Hwachong, Nanyang etc.
    I'm sorry but I'm going to ask something dumb, are IP schools all Singaporean schools?

ReputationRep:
    I entirely agree with you on the whole extra-curric. bit, and the more interesting style of learning. Singapore JCs are, for the most of it, driven by one thing- academic performance at A levels. CCAs come in second to it, and they make no secret of this. Also, the style of teaching in western schools is something that really appeals to me. Their out-of-the-box style of teaching and encouragement of discussion is something S'pore could use a lot more of.

But I must say that Singapore has been making an effort [although the kiasu attitude just remains firmly embedded in the mind of every one here]. The IP schools i.e Raffles, Hwachong, Nanyang etc. are doing a lot more out-of-syllabus stuff in secondary schools. But I suppose the diff lies in how the O levels have to be scraped for this extra stuff to take place.

In JCs there ARE programmes that can be joined as well that allow out-of-syllabus teaching- humanities prog and talent progs for sciences etc...So in a way I suppose it's not so much the fault of the system as it is the attitude of the citizens.

But nonetheless, the all-rounded education [and by this I don't mean forcing a CCA on students], is given more in the western countries.

Btw, my friend and I were both looking up schools like CLC and Wycombe, and were both really interested in going there! I personally was more for CLC. It has an amazing boarding culture and loads of Asian kids which kind of helps with the settling in. In the end though, I found a prog in Singapore which suits me and I haven't got regrets. But CLC would have been an appealing alternative.
    Hahah yeeah Wycombe Abbey is a pressure cooker and loads of girls there leave in the sixth form to go to this comprehensive in London because it's just too intense.... haha CLC is great. It's academic if you want it to be but it's also chilled if you want to have fun...good balance I think! It's also got lots more extra curriculars than Wycombe Abbey does! haha.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah! I did hear that about Wycombe! Someone described it as an 'academic hothouse'. But I tend to wonder whether it's any more of an academic 'pressure-cooker' than many of Singapore's top schools. Esp. since S'pore's schools focus so much on grades and everybody is so..."kiasu".

And margsch: yeaps they are all singaporean govt. schools. Some are independent in that they have their own funding and a tad more soveriegnity, but ultimately they are under the government. IP basically allows you to skip O levels, so that students just join junior colleges affiliated to their secondary schools and take A levels there.

ReputationRep:
    And margsch: yeaps they are all singaporean govt. schools. Some are independent in that they have their own funding and a tad more soveriegnity, but ultimately they are under the government. IP basically allows you to skip O levels, so that students just join junior colleges affiliated to their secondary schools and take A levels there.
    Ok hehe thanks, pretty embarassing that after 8 years I still don't know it. It's pretty complicated though, Singaporean school system.

ReputationRep:
    Haha.

I agree with the person above who say Singapore is too academical, although sometimes it cant hurt, especially after the sterling results produced by ACS I's first IB batch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rawkingpunkster)
    Haha.

I agree with the person above who say Singapore is too academical, although sometimes it cant hurt, especially after the sterling results produced by ACS I's first IB batch.
    Hehe yeeah i'm so proud of my friend!!! she got into the papers!! and she's gonna be off to cambs to do medicine! what insanely clever acs(i) kids!

ReputationRep:
    They cheated with how much teachers are allowed to correct on IA's though... so it's not really all that fair..

ReputationRep:
    Haha rachel, you're talking about charlene?

That's pretty unjustified. As far as I know, they followed the guidelines of 2 drafts being corrected by the teacher before the 3rd is submitted as the final.

ReputationRep:
    As far as I know, they didn't. One of our teachers worked there, he came back to our school now (worked here, left to whatever that schools called and came back after a year), said they had WAYYyy too much guidance that he was practically writing their coursework.

ReputationRep:
    I highly doubt they broke the rules. Singapore is very sticky about such things.

What could possibly have happened though, is that your teacher is used to more independent learning styles on the end of students. I'm in the local schooling system but have had several teaches from abroad. I think they all realize that our teaching and learning styles are different? We are more...finnicky here as students. Everyone wants the best. Kiasuism you might call it? So they want all the information they can get when it comes to graded assignments, and will keep asking for more and more help.

My point here is that teachers who teach in international schools sometimes see Singaporeans as quite different from students overseas in the Western country or even at international schools. In the case of the drafting and re-reading, chances are that what he considered A LOT of help, singaporean students are just very used to- spoonfeeding some call it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.