Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Barts and The London medicine applicants 2014 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by games211)
    Are you a graduate?
    The question is...

Why would you be rejected, as a graduate applying for the five year course, with a 740 UKCAT score?

I find that very hard to believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jollygood)
    Wth has happened to BARTS? I wasn't panicking unless I saw Stephen's post who got rejected with 710 ucas tariff like seriously? I am sure that they didn't count the tariff properly. Because this is an insane score. Does anyone know around what date they finish sending rejections?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'll let you all know what happened when I ring them up. I find it hard to believe loads of people will have applied with that tariff. The most logical reasons are:
    - A mistake on their part giving me wrong info/calculating my tariff
    - They're using a cut-off for undergrad on UKCAT that is higher due to 'increased compeititon'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StephenNaulls)
    I'll let you all know what happened when I ring them up. I find it hard to believe loads of people will have applied with that tariff. The most logical reasons are:
    - A mistake on their part giving me wrong info/calculating my tariff
    - They're using a cut-off for undergrad on UKCAT that is higher due to 'increased compeititon'
    sorry if you've already posted this before, but may I ask what your UKCAT score was?

ReputationRep:
    I don't find it believable that admissions tutors actually have the time to sift through all qualifications to count ALL of the tariffable qualifications.

They probably look only at AS and A2 (Predicteds) to speed up the process instead of going through the personal statement searching for qualifications and then translating these into UCAS points by looking at the conversion sheet.

Obviously this is just a suggestion and I hope they don't but is is quite plausible that they would do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by star10159)
    sorry if you've already posted this before, but may I ask what your UKCAT score was?
    No worries, I'd be quizzing people too. I'm sorry if I'm worrying you all!

I got 710 in the UKCAT, so at minimum my stats should be 710 tariff and 710 UKCAT.

But like I said, I can't remember if my tariff is 710 or 790 haha!

Like I said, on Monday I'll let you know what they say

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StephenNaulls)
    No worries, I'd be quizzing people too. I'm sorry if I'm worrying you all!

I got 710 in the UKCAT, so at minimum my stats should be 710 tariff and 710 UKCAT.

But like I said, I can't remember if my tariff is 710 or 790 haha!

Like I said, on Monday I'll let you know what they say

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry to hear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by momo26396)
    I don't find it believable that admissions tutors actually have the time to sift through all qualifications to count ALL of the tariffable qualifications.

They probably look only at AS and A2 (Predicteds) to speed up the process instead of going through the personal statement searching for qualifications and then translating these into UCAS points by looking at the conversion sheet.

Obviously this is just a suggestion and I hope they don't but is is quite plausible that they would do.
    My qualifications are listed alongside my AS/A2 in my qualifications section, not in my PS. So I'm not sure if that's what would cause it.

I do agree that the staff at Barts could easily skip over something though!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

I disagree, they emailed me about one of my random BTEC qualification asking for a certificate so they can award it tariff points. So yes, they do look at ALL the qualifications.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear
    in that case you beat me in both ukcat and tariff.

Good luck to you though, hope its a mistake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by star10159)
    I disagree, they emailed me about one of my random BTEC qualification asking for a certificate so they can award it tariff points. So yes, they do look at ALL the qualifications.
    This makes me think they've definitely made a mistake with me. It's so frustrating that it's the weekend so I can't find out straight away.

EDIT:

Just worked it out again in full:
    A*AA prediction = 380
    A Physics AS= 60
    A* EPQ = 70
    OCR Level 3 National Certificate in Business Distinction = 120
    Edexcel BTEC Level 3 Subsidiary Diploma Merit = 80
    Comes to 710. I don't want to be the person that thinks they've been rejected based on a massive error... but really?

ReputationRep:

UCAS calculates the tariff points for them i think .. !!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Rejected But expected it as my results wern't that competitive.
    UKCAT: 730
    UCAS Tariff: 490

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NightStarz)
    Rejected But expected it as my results wern't that competitive.
    UKCAT: 730
    UCAS Tariff: 490
    what time exactly was the email sent to you??:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ocelot92)
    what time exactly was the email sent to you??:confused:
    Somewhere between 7pm nad 10pm when I checked it. They've been sending rejections all day so I don't think there's a link between what time and whether you get a rejection or not. It's basically when something changes on UCAS because you don't get interviews on UCAS.

ReputationRep:
    SORRY i didnt add the links this will make it easier

THIS IS FOR GRADUATES APPLYING ONLY TO BARTS

A100 - 5 YEAR PROGRAMME http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2539213
    A101 4 YEAR PROGRAMME http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2539201

PLEASE ADD YOUR DETAILS PEOPLE THIS WILL HELP EVERYONE WHO HAS APPLIED OR HEARD BACK... come on guys there has been UNPRECEDENED DEMAND FOR PLACES HERE SO IT WILL give us all an idea of the ukcat BARTS seem to be using for intviews whihc means we atleast do something about htis waiting and get an idea. IT will be great if you can add your data as requested on the apporpriate forms. PLease NOTE NO idscussions ( we can use other forms for this as this makes it harder for people to know where to look up stats. many thanks . mery christmas and a happpy new year to all u lovely people.

ReputationRep:
    Rejected

I am so upset, it seems as if nobody has an interview yet from Barts!

I'm predicted 3A*s and an A and got 680 UKCAT!
    Why so competitive?!

ReputationRep:
    I'm an Irish applicant with UKCAT 668 and haven't heard anything yet. I'm not sure how the UCAS tariff works for Irish students because we have to do more subjects than the average English student! We have to sit 6 minimum and I'm doing 8. Also with extracurriculars I have a few dance and music qualifications but with organisations not listed on the UCAS webpage so I really have no idea what to think! Good luck to you all!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by school1234)
    Hi, don't worry I haven't received anything yet but ill probably also be rejected due to my poor ukcat score.
    Did they give you the option of going on to another course such as biology or biomedical science?
    nope. nothing. nada. Just a pure outright rejection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ippington)
    I'm an Irish applicant with UKCAT 668 and haven't heard anything yet. I'm not sure how the UCAS tariff works for Irish students because we have to do more subjects than the average English student! We have to sit 6 minimum and I'm doing 8. Also with extracurriculars I have a few dance and music qualifications but with organisations not listed on the UCAS webpage so I really have no idea what to think! Good luck to you all!!
    I'm an international student but I'm also doing the leaving cert. A1 90, A2 80, B1 70 and so on. Atleast I think that's correct. And they only use 6 higher level scores.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by divyav)
    Rejected

I am so upset, it seems as if nobody has an interview yet from Barts!

I'm predicted 3A*s and an A and got 680 UKCAT!
    Why so competitive?!
    oh no....! I am so so sorry... I am sure other medical schools will give you interviews. Is your UCAS tariff 540 or more than that?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.