Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    I wonder if they don't really need to? They'll get plenty of applicants, whatever they do
    I was interested to hear that they make unconditional offers to 5% of applicants. I can see how that would be attractive as a back up in case you bugger up your exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gerald DGrilla)
    My mum drove us about 500 miles (round trip), and paid for a hotel for us overnight, so we really did think Durham was going to be great and be at number 2 on the UCAS form.

I do not want to be negative, but they just didn't seem to make an effort.

There were some people around in yellow t-shirts, but they were not much help. We asked for directions to the faculty and they didn't know where it was and it wasn't on the map (but that turned out to be lucky - see below). We tried to find someone who did my course - but we couldn't find anyone.

Later we asked for directions to the bus for our 'park n ride' - the very nice young man sent us in the wrong direction. This was not a biggie, it was only 5 mins walk in the wrong direction and 5 mins back, and I don't blame him - why should he know? But it was symptomatic of they day. Just underwhelming!

We have been to lots of open days (mainly for my brother and sister) and there is usually a load of enthusiasm and great engagement (eg brilliant sample lectures). There are normally great talks by people who really know their stuff.

We sat through the most boring presentation about facilities and so on. I wanted to slit my wrists by the end - it was just awful. I do not think I learned anything new in that 40 mins.

There was no one around for my subject until the talk. The talk itself was OK, but really JUST ONLY OK - I didn't get a buzz from it they way I have with other presentations. I can think of other subject presentations I have been to, eg Nottingham/History for my sister a few years ago, which was just so brilliant I wanted to do the course myself and so did my mum (my sister did do it)! This talk was, well OK, alright, sort of the minimum required. It didn't make me want to go and study there.

It turned out that the faculty was shut because 'it was a Saturday' - are you kidding - this is the open day!!!

Even the catering facilities were a shambles like no one had anticipated that there might be a lot of people wanting a cup of coffee or a frappuccino.. We waited 5 mins in the 'wrong queue' (no signage at all), then 10 minutes in the right queue, only to be told when we got to the till that the ice machine was broken and so no cold drinks... It was sweltering.

Don't get me wrong. I am sure Durham is better in reality that the impression given at the open day. And I am sure that loads of brilliant Classicists will go there and have an amazing time and get a great degree. But it won't be me!
    I agree, I was left hugely underwhelmed. Durham has gone from my 2nd to 4th choice now. I was also left starving yesterday due to the lack of any shops or fast food places nearby, it's very isolated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gerald DGrilla)
    x
    (Original post by Azzer11)
    I agree, I was left hugely underwhelmed. Durham has gone from my 2nd to 4th choice now. I was also left starving yesterday due to the lack of any shops or fast food places nearby, it's very isolated.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Now I am definitely going for next Open day in September to get the feeling myself

Should help me decide whether Edinburgh or Durham becomes my second choice (or even Bristol).

I didn't go for Edinburgh open day, but I went to the campus tour and the guide was really enthusiastic and made me want to live there although her course is totally unrelated to mine.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I went to the open day, honestly it's perhaps the best uni open day I've been to so far this year
    Also my sis goes there, she says it's the bomb.com

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oakflame)
    Yaay, another international PPE applicant :clap2:I recognize the struggle of not knowing how big one's chances are as I am from Sweden, and the Swedish system isn't comparable to A-levels or IB. It's kind of scary...

Are you going to the Open Days? I'm going the 2nd of July
    I know, it's hard to find any examples of international students' grades other than the guidelines on the Oxford website... And yes, I'm there on both days!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by r055grn)
    Ah brilliant thank you! I have 5A*s and 7As so I guess that makes me relatively competitive- wasn't sure if because of Oxfords emphasis on GCSEs they have a high cut off for GCSE A*s etc.
    I think they look at your GCSEs relative to the rest of your year at school. (They get your school's average with your UCAS data).

Note also that this is a list of applicants invited to interview. They only make offers to around a third of these.

But you're right, most people think you need 15 A* just to apply. Obviously you don't.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Just welcomed a group of students & teachers from Scarborough 6th Form College who have travelled down from Brasenose's link region of North Yorkshire for this year's Oxford Open Days. We are accommodating around 70 overnight guests over the two days. Meeting the student hosts later this afternoon for a final briefing.

Safe journey if you are coming to Oxford tomorrow and Thursday. Remember to pack sun block & your shades! It's scorching here.

Link regions & colleges
    http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under.../link-colleges

Open Days
    https://www.bnc.ox.ac.uk/prospective...ions/open-days

ReputationRep:
    I have a feeling I might have messed up my AS exams.... Will Oxford still consider me given my previous academic achievements and potential?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FramedCuriosity)
    I have a feeling I might hat messed up my AS exams.... Will Oxford still consider me given my previous academic achievements and potential?
    Yes - AS exams are not that great a part of the Oxford system.

A previous post said you wanted to apply for Physics - it will be the PAT that plays the biggest part in determining if you get an interview.

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Is there any chance of finding the average TSA score for a successful PPE applicant? Thanks in advance!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Q&A SESSION

On Saturday 4th July 9-10pm there will be a Twitter Q&A with both #OxTweet and #CambTweet. Current students run the accounts, and you'll be able to ask them about courses, the university, student life, colleges, anything you want to know or find out more about!

Get thinking of questions!

ReputationRep:
    Guys is there a filter for shortlisting at Oxford? So for example if the offer is A*A*A, will they auto-reject if someone is predicted A*AA for example ?

ReputationRep:
    What as grades are important for Oxford? Is AABB okay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Gifted-)
    Guys is there a filter for shortlisting at Oxford? So for example if the offer is A*A*A, will they auto-reject if someone is predicted A*AA for example ?
    Candidates must be predicted to meet the standard offer. If your application was outstanding but the prediction fell short by a grade, we would query the prediction with the school and ask if they are prepared to revise it. Some schools are more familiar with University applications than others and/or more willing to predict and teach to A* than others. I think Admissions Tutors at other colleges would do the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrasenoseAdm)
    Candidates must be predicted to meet the standard offer. If your application was outstanding but the prediction fell short by a grade, we would query the prediction with the school and ask if they are prepared to revise it. Some schools are more familiar with University applications than others and/or more willing to predict and teach to A* than others. I think Admissions Tutors at other colleges would do the same.
    So for example I am applying for Mathematics, and will most likely be predicted A*AA* in Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Chemistry - does this mean my competency will be under question regardless of my performance in the MAT?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Gifted-)
    So for example I am applying for Mathematics, and will most likely be predicted A*AA* in Mathematics, Further Mathematics and Chemistry - does this mean my competency will be under question regardless of my performance in the MAT?
    As stated, candidates must be predicted to achieve the standard offer unless applying post-qualification. If the MAT score justified inviting to interview yet the UCAS prediction fell short, we would have to contact the school & establish whether the prediction is correct or why the school is not predicting A* in FM. If a school has a policy of not making this prediction for FM the selectors would confer with the Maths Institute. If the school believes A* is not achievable then, yes, there would be serious doubt.

ReputationRep:
    I want to do Law at Oxford and have 2A*s and 8 As at GCSE and am predicted all As at AS. Should I bother applying? I have done well in my practise LNATs and have a really strong personal statement but does that matter if I have these GCSEs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by politicalmind)
    I want to do Law at Oxford and have 2A*s and 8 As at GCSE and am predicted all As at AS. Should I bother applying? I have done well in my practise LNATs and have a really strong personal statement but does that matter if I have these GCSEs?
    It is definitely still possible to get in to Law with your GCSEs, provided the other aspects of your application are strong. I would probably apply but just be realistic about your chances, see the following quotation from http://www.st-hildas.ox.ac.uk/selection-process/law

"This year the field was particularly strong, so that, in the absence of special circumstances, candidates had to achieve at least 8 A*s at GCSE, a score of 26 in the multiple choice component and 60 in the essay component of the LNAT to be in with a good chance of being invited for interview. It should be pointed out, however, that it was possible to compensate for poor performance in one of these areas by outstanding performance in one or more of the others."

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone familiar with the physics selection process? I understand they "may" specify which subject to get the third A in if one does 4 subjects. Is it common to give a student an open A*AA offer if they do 4 A2s, i.e can get the final A in either one of there other 2 subjs. ? e.g Maths, FM, Phys, French.

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Patrick2810)
    Is anyone familiar with the physics selection process? I understand they "may" specify which subject to get the third A in if one does 4 subjects. Is it common to give a student an open A*AA offer if they do 4 A2s, i.e can get the final A in either one of there other 2 subjs. ? e.g Maths, FM, Phys, French.
    thanks
    I did Maths, FM, Phys and Chemistry and was given an offer of A*AA with either A* in FM, A in Phys and Maths or A*A in Phys and Maths with A in either FM or Chemistry and I think this is pretty normal?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.