Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kohakz)
    Does anyone have offers for Economics at Warwick? I've got one for Bath but UCL and LSE take ages. Also, for those applying to LSE what are the 4 week and 6 week emails about if you've got that far. Cambridge is just a waiting thing so it's annoying.
    Hi, just wondering what are your stats? And how long did Bath take to give you an offer?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It took about a week.

GCSEs: 11A* + (A in OCR FSMQ - can't get A* in that)
    A Levels: Maths, Further Maths, Economics, Physics AS
    Cambridge Pre-U (equivalent to A level) - French, GPR (irrelevant)

Results: A*AAAD1D1
    A* because the way our school does further maths is to do all the maths as and a2 in one year and then all the further maths in the next.

ReputationRep:
    What is everyone's reasons for studying at Economics at University?

I see loads of applicants achieving solid A/A* in respected science subjects such as Physics, Chemistry and Maths and I'm curious to know why they don't choose a STEM degree such as Engineering,Medicine etc. Just want to know people who excel in science subjects decide to choose economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fade)
    What is everyone's reasons for studying at Economics at University?

I see loads of applicants achieving solid A/A* in respected science subjects such as Physics, Chemistry and Maths and I'm curious to know why they don't choose a STEM degree such as Engineering,Medicine etc. Just want to know people who excel in science subjects decide to choose economics.
    Economics is a science so it's basically included in STEM anyway. This is especially the case at LSE/UCL where there's absolutely no compulsory essay writing so the entire degree is essentially maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloxorus)
    Economics is a science so it's basically included in STEM anyway. This is especially the case at LSE/UCL where there's absolutely no compulsory essay writing so the entire degree is essentially maths.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I think loads of people would classify it as a social science, not a rigid natural "science" and thus not include in STEM.

At other universities bar LSE/UCL, there is less mathematical content and more essay writing right?

Still, what attracts people to study economics? I love the subject but for others is it the job prospects and pay after obtaining the degree?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fade)
    I think loads of people would classify it as a social science, not a rigid natural "science" and thus not include in STEM.

At other universities bar LSE/UCL, there is less mathematical content and more essay writing right?

Still, what attracts people to study economics? I love the subject but for others is it the job prospects and pay after obtaining the degree?
    As far as I'm aware, everywhere else has compulsory essay writing. Cambridge is still extremely mathematical, but I believe there are compulsory history modules in the first year.

I personally chose to study economics because I enjoyed maths and I also had a strong interest for the subject itself. I think you're right about people studying it for the job prospects and pay. For a career in finance/investment banking, there really isn't a better route in than studying economics at a target university and I think this is a lot of peoples motivation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bloxorus)
    As far as I'm aware, everywhere else has compulsory essay writing. Cambridge is still extremely mathematical, but I believe there are compulsory history modules in the first year.

I personally chose to study economics because I enjoyed maths and I also had a strong interest for the subject itself. I think you're right about people studying it for the job prospects and pay. For a career in finance/investment banking, there really isn't a better route in than studying economics at a target university and I think this is a lot of peoples motivation.
    Oh right thanks, but can you elaborate on " target universities " ?

What are typically the target uni's for economics for a career in finance/investment banking at the top firms?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fade)
    Oh right thanks, but can you elaborate on " target universities " ?

What are typically the target uni's for economics for a career in finance/investment banking at the top firms?
    It's usually Oxbridge, LSE, Imperial, UCL and Warwick.
    Take a look at this for the top 15: http://www.linkedin.com/edu/rankings...kings-ctg-card

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    I think it's something like 3 applicants per place so fairly competitive, more so than bath anyway

I've applied and I have the same AS results as you, although higher A2 predictions but you're in a fairly good position

Personally I went for 3 competitive ones (Cambridge, Warwick and Durham(well durham's not mega competitive but still 2 apps per place) and 2 less competitive notts and leeds, so you'd be in a similar position to me

If you're worried about not getting into LSE and UCL I would maybe be tempted to go for Bath as they've given out loads of offers already

Have you been to either campus?
    No no its more like 10-15 applicants per place but just that the top 30% of applicants get offers, since not everyone will firm Warwick.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boy_wonder_95)
    No no its more like 10-15 applicants per place but just that the top 30% of applicants get offers, since not everyone will firm Warwick.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh ok yeah fair enough

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What colleges did people apply to for Cambridge econ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jchap9776)
    Emma, you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EHZ17)
    Emma, you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ah nice, Jesus for me lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NinjaPandaa)
    Warwick is like ultimate campus uni, like nottingham but sort of even more so because the closest city is Coventry and that's not exactly a massive city
    It's nothing like Manchester uni from what I can remember of manc, that's like all across a main road isn't it?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I am currently living in Manchester, I go past Manny uni nearly everyday. It's a city campus on a big main road, it's really busy as well because man met uni is next to man uni, and that area is full of students from uni, college and highschool.
    I'm not a big fan of Manchester because it's some of its campus buildings are spread quite sparsely from the heart of the uni. But if you like that sort of thing great

Hope it helped

ReputationRep:
    Ah nice, Jesus for me lol
    King's :-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by liamc1997)
    King's :-)
    fair, kings looked pretty sick

ReputationRep:
    Someone has an LSE economics offer on the connect pages :O

ReputationRep:
    Queens' college woo

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EHZ17)
    Someone has an LSE economics offer on the connect pages :O
    My friend got one as well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aso816)
    My friend got one as well
    This is not good man. I feel the rejections coming.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.