Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Everyone,

Apologies this is a little bit of spamming but hopefully it will be useful to you all. First of all congratulations for getting offers, I'm involved in an access initiative her at Oxford called #OxTweet and we are currently trying to expand our following. It's using twitter to let you know about daily life in Ox (the good, the bad and the ugly!) and to answer your questions. Our accounts cover most subjects (and will be expanding to more in the next week!). To find us search #OxTweet on twitter or see below for a specific list of accounts (all have @ before them):

oxfordlawyer1
    Ox_History
    OxfordChemist1
    OxPPE
    EnglishOx
    OxfordBMS
    OxArtHistory
    Oxford_Physics
    OxHumanSci
    OxfordPhysPhil
    OxfordMaths
    OxfordBiochem
    OxfordEngineer
    OxfordTheology
    OxGeog
    OxfordCompSci

(more subjects to come next week remember!)

Hope you find it helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rifleboy123)
    It's healthy for us to be stressing about meeting our offers, but to be honest we wouldn't have offers if last year's grades weren't at least great. Of course, getting the A*(s) is the main worry but we can probably afford a bad day in June and still average an A in most subjects overall. So yeah, don't stress too much but use it as motivation to achieve your best; I know I will
    I got ABB last year and now have an open offer for Physics (which I got a B in) underwritten by Pembroke. Not sure that counts as great! haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aluff)
    I got ABB last year and now have an open offer for Physics (which I got a B in) underwritten by Pembroke. Not sure that counts as great! haha
    I think I'm in a similar boat to you I got AAB last year and I'm really worried about getting my B in German up to an A as I'm really bad at it and also lazy. (( Atm stress doesn't motivate me really I'm just like ahhhfhfgdhdjj

ReputationRep:
    Hey, so I was wondering does anyone with an offer from Pembroke ( or another college) know whether we have to send anything in e.g. proof of GCSE grades/financial forms/health forms?

Cause I know some people with offers from Cambridge have to send these in, and a girl in my year with an offer from St Johns at Oxford had to send a letter!

Just want to make sure I haven't missed anything that I was supposed to send!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J3SS742)
    Hey, so I was wondering does anyone with an offer from Pembroke ( or another college) know whether we have to send anything in e.g. proof of GCSE grades/financial forms/health forms?

Cause I know some people with offers from Cambridge have to send these in, and a girl in my year with an offer from St Johns at Oxford had to send a letter!

I haven't been asked to send anything in - I feel like if they wanted you to, they'd email you or something? It'd be a bit weird if they just expected you to psychically work it out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mercurien)
    I haven't been asked to send anything in - I feel like if they wanted you to, they'd email you or something? It'd be a bit weird if they just expected you to psychically work it out.
    Haha yeah thats true! thanks so much, I'll stop freaking out now haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by troodon)
    I think I'm in a similar boat to you I got AAB last year and I'm really worried about getting my B in German up to an A as I'm really bad at it and also lazy. (( Atm stress doesn't motivate me really I'm just like ahhhfhfgdhdjj
    I'm not too worried about making the grades, I just need to work pretty hard until exams finish and I think I should be fine. Like you I'm very lazy though so worry lies in will I be able to make myself work enough!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J3SS742)

They won't ask for GCSE certificates. Well... unless there is cause to be concerned. There was an instance when I was an undergrad of someone lying about having 14A*'s at GCSE and 10 A's at ALevel, who when they arrived was basically useless so they then started looking into it. After that, one or two College have on occasion (albeit very very rarely) asked for certificates/confirmations from schools if there's any hint of anything dodgy. But realistically, no you won't need to provide certificates.

Financial forms I think they now send you some form of booklet with your offer? At some point they make you sign something saying you're able to financially support yourself at Oxford bla bla. In my day it was once you got your Alevel grades, but it may have been moved forward. Obviously do apply for student finance at the earliest opportunity, as that's separate. (and they are totally incompetent- look forward to that)

Health they'll ask you for either after you get your results or when you start. A lot of the Colleges have a slot in fresher's week where you get to meet your GP to discuss anything interesting in your medical records/to generally say hi. Can take the form of you all being forced to make small talk with the GP in 5 minute meetings, or a drop in session for anyone who feels they have anything worth discussing. Other Colleges just do the same with the College nurse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenkinsear)
    They won't ask for GCSE certificates. Well... unless there is cause to be concerned. There was an instance when I was an undergrad of someone lying about having 14A*'s at GCSE and 10 A's at ALevel, who when they arrived was basically useless so they then started looking into it. After that, one or two College have on occasion (albeit very very rarely) asked for certificates/confirmations from schools if there's any hint of anything dodgy. But realistically, no you won't need to provide certificates.

Financial forms I think they now send you some form of booklet with your offer? At some point they make you sign something saying you're able to financially support yourself at Oxford bla bla. In my day it was once you got your Alevel grades, but it may have been moved forward. Obviously do apply for student finance at the earliest opportunity, as that's separate. (and they are totally incompetent- look forward to that)

Health they'll ask you for either after you get your results or when you start. A lot of the Colleges have a slot in fresher's week where you get to meet your GP to discuss anything interesting in your medical records/to generally say hi. Can take the form of you all being forced to make small talk with the GP in 5 minute meetings, or a drop in session for anyone who feels they have anything worth discussing. Other Colleges just do the same with the College nurse.
    Isn't it that UCAS checks your grades with the examination board as long as it is a British qualification to confirm the grades before the university gives an offer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenkinsear)

Wow thanks so much, this is really helpful! haha 10A's? Yeah that would be just a bit suspicious!
    Okay great, I'll stop worrying about forms until results day then haha thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Just Firmed, It's official

ReputationRep:
    Think the thing I'm most looking forward to is my college merchandise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonlad)
    Think the thing I'm most looking forward to is my college merchandise
    New College cufflinks look fit as!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the1akshay)
    My other choices were Durham, York and UCL, and to be honest I'd have been happy going to any of them. None of them had offers as low as Oxford's (AAA) except for York, who were AAA including Maths. So York would have been the obvious choice to use as an insurance.

But I thought of what would happen if I ended up with A*AB, which I presume wouldn't meet Oxford's offer - with LSE though, I hear they're quite keen on an A* in Maths, and might be flexible about it.

That is probably just wishful thinking though. In reality, my AS grades were good such that I only need BCCU (doing four) to meet AAA. Obviously I really don't want to get BCCU this year, but the AS has certainly taken a lot of pressure off me.
    Reading through your last two posts, I've noticed just how similar our situations are.

Both firmed Ox, insured LSE
    Both took a liking to LSE and couldn't outright reject them
    Both had Ox as their lowest (or joint lowest) offer
    Both considered the possibility of A*AB as a situation in which the insurance would be useful (both think that A* will be in maths)
    Both need relatively low grades to meet their offer (albeit this is a more general point)

Only differences I've picked up on are that I'm doing three subjects (couldn't cope with Geography, too boring) and probably the subjects we're applying for.

ReputationRep:
    This is probably something literally no one cares about but me but... If anyone watches Pretty Little Liars (spoiler lol) it was pretty heavily implied this episode that Spencer will be at Oxford next year!!! Which means we will hopefully be in the same year at Oxford as Spencer Hastings o I know she isn't real but still this is a big deal to me
    omg yes I thought this too!!!

ReputationRep:
    This is probably something literally no one cares about but me but... If anyone watches Pretty Little Liars (spoiler lol) it was pretty heavily implied this episode that Spencer will be at Oxford next year!!! Which means we will hopefully be in the same year at Oxford as Spencer Hastings o I know she isn't real but still this is a big deal to me
    Omg I've been thinking this! Imagine if they came to film in ox?!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    I'm curious as to what others think about this - did you find the somewhat lengthy stay in Oxford stressful, or did you not particularly mind?
    I know this was posted ages ago but I wanted to share my opinion!

I didn't find it so much stressful as boring. I wouldn't have minded so much if we were given something to or at least told of some fun things to do in Oxford. As it was everyone spent all their time either in their rooms or in the JCR watching Netflix. It was also frustrating that I was told to arrive at 9am and yet my first interview wasn't till 12.

Saying that, I really enjoyed the interviews and the tutors were really friendly. Also enjoyed chatting to all the other applicants- woop woop Chemistry buddies!

(This was at Oriel by the way)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4lic)

I didn't find it so much stressful as boring. I wouldn't have minded so much if we were given something to or at least told of some fun things to do in Oxford. As it was everyone spent all their time either in their rooms or in the JCR watching Netflix. It was also frustrating that I was told to arrive at 9am and yet my first interview wasn't till 12.

Saying that, I really enjoyed the interviews and the tutors were really friendly. Also enjoyed chatting to all the other applicants- woop woop Chemistry buddies!

The main problem was applicants had interviews during the whole day and helpers were busy bringing people to their interviews so it was inevitable that we were left to do our own things. They did do a few social events every night, pub quiz, board games, ice cream shop etc. but of course it can't run too late because people have their own schedules so some might want to sleep early for early morning interviews the next day. There were so many constraints and tight schedules it can't be helped.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 4lic)

Same here (St. Hugh's), I really enjoyed most of my stay - the evening of the first day, the second day and my interviews - because there was a group of us physicists hanging out together. But most of the first day and the whole third day was incredibly boring, as most people were allowed to leave after their 3rd interview in the morning and I couldn't get home (prebooked trains because of the cost) until late that evening.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=jonathanyyt;53755221]The main problem was applicants had interviews during the whole day and helpers were busy bringing people to their interviews so it was inevitable that we were left to do our own things. They did do a few social events every night, pub quiz, board games, ice cream shop etc. but of course it can't run too late because people have their own schedules so some might want to sleep early for early morning interviews the next day. There were so many constraints and tight schedules it can't be helped.

I know. Just feel like they could have told us what was around Oxford considering that some applicants may have never visited before. And people could always leave the social events if they wanted.

Anyway- it doesn't matter now

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.