Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by tom476zf)
    i understand how FPTP and HOL affect democracy, but not how they affect liberal democracy could someone explain please
    The idea of liberal democracy is focused on the individual. Where unaccountable ( Lords ) can affect our lives and we have nothing in our power to stop them it's not that fair, moreover undemocratic.

For a level like this AS exam if you base it on how it can affect the rights of the individual that's liberal democracy.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Tazz.xoxo)
    Mine says Germany is liberal and USA is pluralist
    You can in theory be both.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    The idea of liberal democracy is focused on the individual. Where unaccountable ( Lords ) can affect our lives and we have nothing in our power to stop them it's not that fair, moreover undemocratic.

For a level like this AS exam if you base it on how it can affect the rights of the individual that's liberal democracy.
    thankyou

ReputationRep:
    You could refer to the fact that the HR Act can be repealed at any time because it's not entrenched. Also the fact that the Conservatives want to replace the HR Act with a 'British Bill of Rights', as stated in their 2015 manifesto.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by UKStudent17)
    You could refer to the fact that the HR Act can be repealed at any time because it's not entrenched. Also the fact that the Conservatives want to replace the HR Act with a 'British Bill of Rights', as stated in their 2015 manifesto.
    Though currently we still have to abide by the ECHR. The HRA just allowed our courts not European courts to take UK cases on HR issues.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alevelpain)
    For to what extent are we a liberal democracy:

We are because HR Act & FTPA restrict the power of Parliament -> HR act protects civil liberties, FTPA means elections are free and fair since set date
    Regular elections at multiple levels each contested by several parties

Not because uncodified constitution, not equal votes and recent electoral fraud questions whether they are free and fair?
    then link uncodified to hra not being entrenched as it is basically a statute so rights not protected from the sovereignty of parliament. i think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarpedon)
    Thank you! In this case, I will stick to two. Obviously everyone knows democracy; which other topic did you revise?
    elections , good luck for tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me whose nervous lol
    I'm scared

ReputationRep:
    arguments in favour of proportional representation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xxvine)
    I'm scared
    You and me both!

ReputationRep:
    I feel like I'm the only person out there who isnt doing democracy

Elections and Pressure groups for me

ReputationRep:
    Do you think we will get a question on representative democracy?

ReputationRep:
    See you all on the other side - good luck!

ReputationRep:
    evaluate recent attempts to improve democracy

would it be ok to talk about reforms from 1997 onwards or does this need a more current approach

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tom476zf)
    evaluate recent attempts to improve democracy

would it be ok to talk about reforms from 1997 onwards or does this need a more current approach
    What year is that from?
    Never seen a question phrases like that lol

ReputationRep:
    Good luck everyone, get a good night sleep and do your best tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    What year is that from?
    Never seen a question phrases like that lol
    someone just post it in the thread as a possible question ahah

ReputationRep:
    I'm scared
    im crapping myself but i getting worked up wont help matters... if you're prepared or not just go into the exam and hope for the best x goodluck<3

ReputationRep:
    Do you think we will get a question on representative democracy?
    I personally do with reference to how we use referendums as well or something along those lines
    Britain is more of a consultative democracy

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mollyadtr)
    I personally do with reference to how we use referendums as well or something along those lines
    Britain is more of a consultative democracy

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Don't you think the remit for referendums and representative democracy is too small? It's kind of, public opinion and that's it

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.