Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qweening)
    Definition of spin-spin coupling: When the hydrogens attached to on carbon influence the hydrogens on the adjacent carbon atoms. This gives rise to the splitting patterns on the NMR spectrum.
    would we need to know this definition?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danthebox)
    Annotate the spectrum that they give you! Think carefully about what the compound is e.g.
    How many proton environments are there? - Integration of 6 = 2 x CH3
    Is there a mess at 7ppm? - Benzene

I would recommend printing off every NMR question from our spec and just work through them. The only way i figured out NMR is by practice and experience!!
    Some are piss easy vs other harder ones. For the last year one I only got marks for working it out. TBH though, it was the hardest Q in the paper, and 4/8 or whatever it was for just getting the groups and splitting patterns and all that isn't bad for the hardest question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tcameron)
    would we need to know this definition?
    Tbh I wouldn't think so but it's an easy one to remember

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know where to find the F324 June 2015 mark scheme? Or even an unofficial one?

ReputationRep:
    I thought that when you have a 13C NMR the peak area didn't mean anything, but in the 2015 paper it did and you had peaks for 1 carbon and 2 carbons, can anyone explain this to me?

ReputationRep:
    DAMMMN. I have the large booklet for the spec, and I just read ''candidates may be expected to interpret gas chromatograms and mass spectra''. Mass spectra is fine but is gas chromatograms the injector/detector labelling thing?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajohnston756)
    does anyone know where to find the f324 june 2015 mark scheme? Or even an unofficial one?

f324 2015:
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf F324_MS_June15.pdf (608.2 KB, 102 views)

ReputationRep:
    Do normal alcohols react with Na/NaOH to form salts or nah?

I'm confusing myself I know Phenols and COOH do! But what about normal alcohols

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsConnor_)
    Oh ok, I forgot that for hydrolysis. Would it be safe to say '(conc.)' whenever you mention an acid?
    Typically yes, but for the hydrolysis of esters you use dilute acid.

(Original post by RayMasterio)

They don't. Phenol is a weak acid. Find out why

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RayMasterio)

nah they don't, only phenol does
    With sodium hydroxide solutionPhenol reacts with sodium hydroxide solution to give a colourless solution containing sodium phenoxide.In this reaction, the hydrogen ion has been removed by the strongly basic hydroxide ion in the sodium hydroxide solution.

Think it's to do with carboxylic acids and phenol being weak acids

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jerseyalevel)
    You wouldn't happen to have a link to the June 2015 paper would you?
    i have it and the m.s but i dont have a link just the file, i can email it to u? just d.m me ur email

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    go to chemhume.co.uk

>A2 chemistry
    >Past Papers

ReputationRep:
    What are the chances of us being tested on organic practical methods? I know we get tested on them via. the controlled assessments, but is it possible for them to ask us to describe the method of purifying etc?

ReputationRep:
    For the shorthand formula of fatty acids, in the spec, it gives an example on the side which is like octadec-9,12-anoic acid, 18,2(9,12) but in the OCR text book it said "two numbers separated by a colon" and for the same compound it said the shorthand notation would be 18:2(9,12)..... so would you follow the spec or the book? and when I googled it, it was separated by a colon

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FutureMedic97)
    For the shorthand formula of fatty acids, in the spec, it gives an example on the side which is like octadec-9,12-anoic acid, 18,2(9,12) but in the OCR text book it said "two numbers separated by a colon" and for the same compound it said the shorthand notation would be 18:2(9,12)..... so would you follow the spec or the book? and when I googled it, it was separated by a colon
    18:2(9,12) Do we need to name these fatty acids? Like say a 24 carbon chain or is it just gonna be up to 10?

ReputationRep:
    https://www.dropbox.com/sh/kwj0elokp...S-r2mI-Pa?dl=0

ReputationRep:
    For reduction of ketones/carboxylic acids, if you use NaBH4, is there a colour change from orange to green as well?

ReputationRep:
    What are the chances of us being tested on organic practical methods? I know we get tested on them via. the controlled assessments, but is it possible for them to ask us to describe the method of purifying etc?
    I doubt they would..

Anyone know for sure?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AqsaMx)
    For reduction of ketones/carboxylic acids, if you use NaBH4, is there a colour change from orange to green as well?
    I don't think so because you're not using Potassium dichromate

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 26, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.