Pokemon GO! Official Thread - now officially released in the UK!

Announcements Posted on
TSR looking different to you this week? Find out why here. 02-12-2016
  • View Poll Results: What Pokemon Go team did you choose?
    Team Valor (Red)
    33.18%
    Team Mystic (Blue)
    46.68%
    Team Instinct (Yellow)
    20.14%

ReputationRep:
    Hi all!
    I just downloaded Pokemon go and it is not allowing me to use any usernames when I sign up.
    Literally how many people have the same middle names and first name as me and happen to also have been born in 1999?
    And how can my random nicknames also be taken? It just doesn't make sense. I know it's the most downloaded app ever but this is odd.
    Is this a glitch?
    If so how can I fix it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devify)
    The gyms have a certain number of spaces available depending on the gym prestige. So if it's full you can fight the Pokemon there to show the team has stronger members and raise the prestige which opens up more spaces.
    ohh, it makes sense now, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    The gyms near home seem to have a ridiculously quick turnaround time
    I've found that to be the case everywhere. Gyms are too easy to take, and there's little to no reward for levelling one up and defending it.

Gyms will be important to the long term success of the game I feel, and I love the idea of them. Taking them with friends can be fun. But currently they don't seem worth the time and effort, so I hope they fix that somehow.

It would be great if a friendly gym acted as a temporary lure or Pokestop for fellow team members, or if you could earn small amounts of XP from your Pokemon defeating challengers (this would give more incentive for people to leave their strongest Pokemon)

ReputationRep:
    Guys, need to ask a couple of questions;

1. Whenever I find a Horsea, it is ALWAYS level 10 (caught 3 so far), is this normal or just REALLY bad luck?
    2. Are starters (Charmander, Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Pikachu) just difficult to catch? Was on the bus yesterday and came across a level 114 Squirtle and I used like 6 Pokeballs and 3 berries before it got up and disappeared but caught a level 470 Hypno with only 1 Pokeball and no berries at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadow Hunters)
    Hi all!
    I just downloaded Pokemon go and it is not allowing me to use any usernames when I sign up.
    Literally how many people have the same middle names and first name as me and happen to also have been born in 1999?
    And how can my random nicknames also be taken? It just doesn't make sense. I know it's the most downloaded app ever but this is odd.
    Is this a glitch?
    If so how can I fix it?
    I tried EVERYTHING to get something that was similar to my name and got nothing.
    So, in the end I just stuck with TheOne[Insert Forename Here]

So, just do something different.
    Also, any ideas on how to beat a level 6 gym guys? There's a team Valor gym at the end of my village which is that level and I'm only level 9...
    Am saving a load of candies though for a lot of evolutions... (also have a lucky egg)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    I tried EVERYTHING to get something that was similar to my name and got nothing.
    So, in the end I just stuck with TheOne[Insert Forename Here]

So, just do something different.
    Also, any ideas on how to beat a level 6 gym guys? There's a team Valor gym at the end of my village which is that level and I'm only level 9...
    Am saving a load of candies though for a lot of evolutions... (also have a lucky egg)
    Ah thanks! I'll keep trying then!
    My name is pretty uncommon ( I use my middle name on this app for easiness ) so I'm really surprised there are so many other people with my name that could have taken it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scienceisgood)
    Guys, need to ask a couple of questions;

1. Whenever I find a Horsea, it is ALWAYS level 10 (caught 3 so far), is this normal or just REALLY bad luck?
    2. Are starters (Charmander, Bulbasaur, Squirtle and Pikachu) just difficult to catch? Was on the bus yesterday and came across a level 114 Squirtle and I used like 6 Pokeballs and 3 berries before it got up and disappeared but caught a level 470 Hypno with only 1 Pokeball and no berries at all.
    I find Squirtle really difficult to catch, I've only caught 9 out of 15 (and I started with one, and got a few from eggs).
    I've only seen one Bulbasaur in the wild, and no Pikachu or Charmander, so I don't know what they're like to catch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkMagic)
    I find Squirtle really difficult to catch, I've only caught 9 out of 15 (and I started with one, and got a few from eggs).
    I've only seen one Bulbasaur in the wild, and no Pikachu or Charmander, so I don't know what they're like to catch.
    Ok so pokevision is disabled....thats it for me i guess on the road to pokemaster

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadow Hunters)
    Ah thanks! I'll keep trying then!
    My name is pretty uncommon ( I use my middle name on this app for easiness ) so I'm really surprised there are so many other people with my name that could have taken it!
    I'm stuck with saymynamejme. Because JME and JM-z was taken.

ReputationRep:
    Pikachu are caught near power plant or stuff like that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by callum_20011)
    Pikachu are caught near power plant or stuff like that
    I caught mine by a bandstand :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    all my squirtle run away

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    generators?

ReputationRep:
    generators?
    no?

I dont see a generator do u?

ReputationRep:
    I'm stuck with saymynamejme. Because JME and JM-z was taken.
    The nickname I have now was basically a test to see if it was a glitch and it turned out to be free so now I'm stuck with it. I started it with ABCDEF which I didn't want.

ReputationRep:
    The game kinda sucks without the tracking, or Pokevision to fall back on. I only started using Pokevision because of the 3 step glitch. I was more than content with the original tracking system before that, and I wouldn't have complained if Niantic had moved to shut down Pokevision after they'd fixed the bugs in the game. But to do it now is a really poor decision.

I live outside of town and decent Pokemon spawns are few and far between. So with nothing to indicate which direction to walk in when something good does pop-up, it feels pointless even trying. In a town centre where Pokestops are plentiful and Pokemon pop up frequently, there's at least something to gain from walking around aimlessly, whether you find your intended target or not. But outside of town you can walk in the complete opposite direction of the only good Pokemon for miles around and have no idea.

Niantic's complete silence these past couple of weeks has been shocking. I wish they'd at least acknowledge these issues, and give us even the vaguest of updates on when/whether we can expect to see them fixed. I mean, is the tracking system gone forever or what?

A kid in my area caught a Pikachu by a pub... :pika:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ColossalAtom)
    A kid in my area caught a Pikachu by a pub... :pika:
    omg!
    Spoiler:
    Show
    tell me which pub

ReputationRep:
    OK guys, need to ask. Are Horseas hard to find at a high level. Just caught my fourth one (out of 4) at level 10... (There's a little shop where the spawn regularly near my house where I go semi-regularely to catch new Pokemon, that and the park seems to have quite a few good Pokemon, noticed some Pidgeots and Seakings there today).

ReputationRep:
    Powerful tromboning!

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 7, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Today on TSR
Poll
How are you feeling about doing A-levels?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.