Chess games

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 13 1 20 8 42)
    Yes to be fair it would be very easy to mindlessly take back, and checking for and finding the appropriate winning intermezzo was something you had to do; it wasn't a straightforward blunder like just hanging a piece straight up. So yeah I was a little too discrediting of your part. Uni starts in October, Warwick is a weird one.
    Btw I only just got your name XD.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IrrationalRoot)
    You might not have realised but despite me wanting to improve just as much as you (maybe more I'm really obsessed with improvement lol) I haven't played any online games in ages and I've never played even close to what would be called 'regularly'.

That's because I'm waiting for uni to spam chess (I've lost most of my motivation for maths anyway, might just do the bare minimum to scrape a first, I don't really care that much tbh). OTB is much more fun and is just better in basically every way. Online chess stresses me out, angers me when, just like you, I make one less-than-perfect move, and those games where you play perfectly for literally an hour of intense concentration and blunder the win with some rubbish tactical error just kill my motivation/enjoyment.

So yeah, despite quite recently purchasing a chess.com membership I'm almost certainly only gonna play my next game in uni. Might use the tactics trainer some until then (although that's really annoying me with backwards progress being made all the time) and certainly chess mentor because I really enjoy relaxing and just playing through Silman's excellent lessons.
    Well when I've checked out your games I've noticed they're rather infrequent lol.

I'm also pretty uninspired when it comes to maths. Hopefully I'll care more at uni. I've just never really been talented at maths. Hell, I barely scraped a 1 in STEP 1. I got two bronzes in UKMT. I've survived only on having a good short-term memory if I focus enough, it would seem. (I don't remember most of the first year stuff now). So I just don't see the point. I don't have actual creativity or ingenuity. It's just another source of dissatisfaction. But I'll probably have to work harder in second year so maybe I'll be forced to care. OTB is more fun, and I tend to take mistakes more in my stride (just have a laugh about it). Though I can imagine getting very angry at myself for similar mistakes in a tournament situation.

Tactics trainer can be annoying because it penalises you so heavily for getting it wrong but only rewards you as much if you solve it in like ten seconds. By the way I'd recommend the book "reassess your chess" by silman (available in pdf via a quick google). I've been playing through the stuff on a real board. Even though I evidently haven't seen the fruits of the labour yet, I find I'm thinking better, about piece placement and imbalances and such. Actually moving the pieces around means I'm more focused than on the lessons.

ReputationRep:
    Well when I've checked out your games I've noticed they're rather infrequent lol.

I'm also pretty uninspired when it comes to maths. Hopefully I'll care more at uni. I've just never really been talented at maths. Hell, I barely scraped a 1 in STEP 1. I got two bronzes in UKMT. I've survived only on having a good short-term memory if I focus enough, it would seem. (I don't remember most of the first year stuff now). So I just don't see the point. I don't have actual creativity or ingenuity. It's just another source of dissatisfaction. But I'll probably have to work harder in second year so maybe I'll be forced to care. OTB is more fun, and I tend to take mistakes more in my stride (just have a laugh about it). Though I can imagine getting very angry at myself for similar mistakes in a tournament situation.

Tactics trainer can be annoying because it penalises you so heavily for getting it wrong but only rewards you as much if you solve it in like ten seconds. By the way I'd recommend the book "reassess your chess" by silman (available in pdf via a quick google). I've been playing through the stuff on a real board. Even though I evidently haven't seen the fruits of the labour yet, I find I'm thinking better, about piece placement and imbalances and such. Actually moving the pieces around means I'm more focused than on the lessons.
    Well mainly what absolutely killed my motivation was my rejection from Cambridge but yeah I have exactly the same problems as you.
    My STEP grades were only a result of hard work, I never got into any olympiad, I'm not actually very talented at maths at all; I certainly lack any creativity or any ability to understand anything remotely complicated in a reasonable length of time (it took me 2 f***ing days to actually understand the definition of a limit).

I'm not looking forward to the maths course at all. The only things I'm looking forward too are studying from my own maths books, maybe skip a few lectures to do so (I really don't care too much right now, but maybe that'll change as the workload increases and the course gets more interesting) and even more so being away from home and being able to be a lot of chess/tennis although I probably won't end up playing any tennis because it would require a certain degree of social skill.

I actually heard about that book and saw the pdf, will be studying that properly soon since Silman seems to really know how to teach. I'll also do that real board thing since it sounds fun and will be good prep going into OTB play in October.

ReputationRep:
    I'd also like to point out that I think there are two aspects to mathematical ability. There is depth of understanding and problem solving skill. I feel that all the (albeit small) success I've had was based on the former. The latter I feel have virtually none of unfortunately.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Electrospective)
    I suck at chess. :ahee: But I wanna play chess so....

Let the chess games begin!

EDIT: SOME OF YOU MAY NOT HAVE FIGURED THIS OUT BUT IT'LL BE AN ONLINE GAME OF CHESS......

Editededit: Quote me or tag me and I'll add you to the list below
    Spoiler:
    Show
    First round:

umar39 vs CheeseIsVeg --------> umar39 PROGRESSES TO ROUND 2

Me vs. Matrix123 ------> DRAW 4 TIMES SOO.....BOTH PROGRESS

13 1 20 8 42 vs XOR_ -----> 13 1 20 8 42 PROGRESSED TO ROUND 2

trustmeimlying1 vs Brahmin of Booty -----> BOOTY WINS

PharaohFromSpace vs K-Man_PhysCheM -----> K-Man_PhysCheM WINS AND PROGRESSES TO ROUND 2

RayApparently vs EnglishMuon ------> EnglishMuon PROGRESSES TO ROUND 2

john2054 vs IrrationalRoot -----> john2054 PROGRESSES TO ROUND 2

ROUND 2!

umar39 vs me

Matrix123 vs K-Man_PhysCheM

EnglishMuon vs john2054

13 1 20 8 42 vs The Sexathlete

ye bwoi, add me to this

ReputationRep:
    Well mainly what absolutely killed my motivation was my rejection from Cambridge but yeah I have exactly the same problems as you.
    My STEP grades were only a result of hard work, I never got into any olympiad, I'm not actually very talented at maths at all; I certainly lack any creativity or any ability to understand anything remotely complicated in a reasonable length of time (it took me 2 f***ing days to actually understand the definition of a limit).

I'm not looking forward to the maths course at all. The only things I'm looking forward too are studying from my own maths books, maybe skip a few lectures to do so (I really don't care too much right now, but maybe that'll change as the workload increases and the course gets more interesting) and even more so being away from home and being able to be a lot of chess/tennis although I probably won't end up playing any tennis because it would require a certain degree of social skill.

I actually heard about that book and saw the pdf, will be studying that properly soon since Silman seems to really know how to teach. I'll also do that real board thing since it sounds fun and will be good prep going into OTB play in October.
    Fair enough. I've always been too neurotic and susceptible to stress so honestly I think Cambridge would have been bad for me; hence when I got rejected I really didn't feel all that bad.

Skipping lectures is certainly no big deal...during most of term 2 I skipped probably the majority. In particular Discrete Maths 2, Linear Algebra and Analysis II I barely went; I got 80, 92 and 86 in the exams respectively. However I would certainly say that you may be underestimating the course; much of it (Analysis in particular) is really quite interesting. It could be more challenging, but it's worthwhile. First year, that is. I am dreadfully uninspired by what I've looked at for second year, hence my trepidation. I'd say just go for it with the tennis; I had an interest in badminton and went to that despite lack of social ability and most of the time you can just go on and play (quit for the usual reason I stop things: I dislike being too poor and not improving) and don't need to be that social lol.

Yeah it's really good. Feels proper authentic going through an actual book. I'm really hoping I can get into a team; I dunno if they have a preference for freshers (clearly I'd be limited to D or C teams with the strength of A and B). Or if not I hope there are at least proper competitive opportunities. Didn't go much last year after first term due to pool club.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough. I've always been too neurotic and susceptible to stress so honestly I think Cambridge would have been bad for me; hence when I got rejected I really didn't feel all that bad.

Skipping lectures is certainly no big deal...during most of term 2 I skipped probably the majority. In particular Discrete Maths 2, Linear Algebra and Analysis II I barely went; I got 80, 92 and 86 in the exams respectively. However I would certainly say that you may be underestimating the course; much of it (Analysis in particular) is really quite interesting. It could be more challenging, but it's worthwhile. First year, that is. I am dreadfully uninspired by what I've looked at for second year, hence my trepidation. I'd say just go for it with the tennis; I had an interest in badminton and went to that despite lack of social ability and most of the time you can just go on and play (quit for the usual reason I stop things: I dislike being too poor and not improving) and don't need to be that social lol.

Yeah it's really good. Feels proper authentic going through an actual book. I'm really hoping I can get into a team; I dunno if they have a preference for freshers (clearly I'd be limited to D or C teams with the strength of A and B). Or if not I hope there are at least proper competitive opportunities. Didn't go much last year after first term due to pool club.
    Are notes available for each lecture? I was thinking that if I skip a lecture I could just completely miss out on everything that was taught.

Eh, I might play tennis then. I mean, their tennis is probably the best university tennis out there, it has to be said. With clay courts and everything where are we, Barcelona? XD
    I would consider myself pretty good at badminton (probably at this than tennis) despite playing very little but for some reason it doesn't interest me as much as tennis. Still might play it though since it's fun .

Definitely playing in every competition I can. No holding back lol. Would like to get into a respectable team but knowing my improvement curve that would take a whole year lol.

ReputationRep:
    Are notes available for each lecture? I was thinking that if I skip a lecture I could just completely miss out on everything that was taught.

Eh, I might play tennis then. I mean, their tennis is probably the best university tennis out there, it has to be said. With clay courts and everything where are we, Barcelona? XD
    I would consider myself pretty good at badminton (probably at this than tennis) despite playing very little but for some reason it doesn't interest me as much as tennis. Still might play it though since it's fun .

Definitely playing in every competition I can. No holding back lol. Would like to get into a respectable team but knowing my improvement curve that would take a whole year lol.
    There are excellent printed notes available for all the core modules except Probability A (there are notes, but they aren't great: oh yeah, I missed every single lecture bar three out of the thirty for this and Prob B). There were pretty sparse and incomplete notes for Discrete Maths but there was a reasonable specification and an associated book which could be found for free online so I was okay. I pretty much never used my own notes to revise; if I made notes at all it was to try to consolidate the lecture in my head a bit better.

It costs a pretty price (I checked, I was sort of interested; I enjoy watching..) so I guess that's why.

I wasn't offered any competitions apart from going to the London Chess Classic (think it interfered with something else...I dunno, maybe I just couldn't be bothered at the time), but I hope that's just because I turned up so little.

ReputationRep:
    There are excellent printed notes available for all the core modules except Probability A (there are notes, but they aren't great: oh yeah, I missed every single lecture bar three out of the thirty for this and Prob B). There were pretty sparse and incomplete notes for Discrete Maths but there was a reasonable specification and an associated book which could be found for free online so I was okay. I pretty much never used my own notes to revise; if I made notes at all it was to try to consolidate the lecture in my head a bit better.

It costs a pretty price (I checked, I was sort of interested; I enjoy watching..) so I guess that's why.

I wasn't offered any competitions apart from going to the London Chess Classic (think it interfered with something else...I dunno, maybe I just couldn't be bothered at the time), but I hope that's just because I turned up so little.
    Gosh what were you doing in all those skipped lectures? :lol:
    Sounds really relaxed then, just work whenever you feel like it; otherwise do whatever haha. Doesn't sound particularly challenging though...

How does team selection work? Do you need to play like trial games etc. to get into teams? I assume there'd be a least a little competition for spots on the teams.

ReputationRep:
    Gosh what were you doing in all those skipped lectures? :lol:
    Sounds really relaxed then, just work whenever you feel like it; otherwise do whatever haha. Doesn't sound particularly challenging though...

How does team selection work? Do you need to play like trial games etc. to get into teams? I assume there'd be a least a little competition for spots on the teams.
    Mostly just sitting at home on youtube. Or sleeping. Or in the snooker room lol.
    I think the first term is more important though. In particular Analysis and Foundations are useful for getting you into the feel of uni maths. I was more conscientious in the first term. Maybe not, but they do give tricky exercises, if you're that way inclined, on the weekly assignments. And obviously the greater the workload, the harder it is. I only took 129 CATS, you can take up to 150.

Honestly don't know. That's how it works in pool and snooker, but that's pool and snooker lol. The vice president (now the president; at the time he was pretty much running everything anyway) suggested I join a team and I said I was interested, so that suggests it's not that competitive. I suppose you can always e-mail someone (details on the SU page).

ReputationRep:
    Make up for missing the win early on with a cheeky queen sacrifice (it's surprising how rarely I get to do this in games..) https://www.chess.com/live/game/1731693821
    Trying not to play is not going too well. But at least I have done some other stuff today..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZiggyStarDust_)
    ye bwoi, add me to this
    i think the tournament fizzled out after the first round!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    i think the tournament fizzled out after the first round!
    aw, shame.

ReputationRep:
    aw, shame.
    I'm still up for a free form one on one sometime if you like though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by john2054)
    I'm still up for a free form one on one sometime if you like though?
    yeah, that sounds good

I mean, I'd beat your arse :^)

But hey, you're on

ReputationRep:
    Open game: -------------
    CheeseIsVeg
    13 1 20 8 42

ReputationRep:
    Lol just when I was going to log off to do maths :rofl:
    I hope you have a very punny game

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    Lol just when I was going to log off to do maths :rofl:
    I hope you have a very punny game
    Plaaay, don't be a square.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XOR_)
    Plaaay, don't be a square.
    I can't play, I'll be a dodecahedron thanku v much :hand:
    gimme an hour and we'll see

ReputationRep:
    yeah, that sounds good

I mean, I'd beat your arse :^)

But hey, you're on
    i am on most evenings/night time if you want to play then?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 2, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Forum Games Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.