The Commons Bar Mk XIII - MHoC Chat Thread

Announcements Posted on
How helpful is our apprenticeship zone? Have your say with our short survey 02-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by barnetlad)
    Will Jeremy Corbyn be trying to be down with the kids and sing with someone or be on a video, as Neil Kinnock did?
    Just had a bunch of members on stage to sing the red flag and Jerusalem to close conference

(Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    Wow! That sounds really nice! A very exciting proposal! I do hope he keeps his promise :yy:

What is this world coming to? I do not know. :I
    Aye I hope he does too

ReputationRep:
    Having just done the US isidewith I get 99% Hillary and 97% Stein.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps still a poll or two to go but for the third straight month the incumbent government has averaged a double digit lead. This has not happened since May-July 2002.

ReputationRep:
    Jeremy Hunt today saying that restaraunts and fast food places must reduce sugar content in food.

Can't believe I agree with him on something.*

ReputationRep:
    To those who argue a reason for leaving the EU is that we're doing better than the rest of it economically: we're not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheDefiniteArticle)
    To those who argue a reason for leaving the EU is that we're doing better than the rest of it economically: we're not.
    Paywall.... tl;dr?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EricAteYou)
    Paywall.... tl;dr?
    UK is performing worse than comparable EU nations in PPP-adjusted GDP per capita.

ReputationRep:
    UK is performing worse than comparable EU nations in PPP-adjusted GDP per capita.
    That could be reworded to the UK is performing worse than comparable EU countries in an obscure, skewed, unused measure that does not mean a lot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    That could be reworded to the UK is performing worse than comparable EU countries in an obscure, skewed, unused measure that does not mean a lot.
    Except it's surely the most important GDP measure for assessing quality of life.

In addition, income inequality is worse in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Except it's surely the most important GDP measure for assessing quality of life.

In addition, income inequality is worse in the UK.
    I do not care about income inequality, nor do I care much for per capita GDP measures which are lowered with every unskilled migrant that enters the country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nigel Farage MEP)
    I do not care about income inequality, nor do I care much for per capita GDP measures which are lowered with every unskilled migrant that enters the country.
    Okay, so your politics make you significantly different from most people. Doesn't make PPP measures obscure or irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, so your politics make you significantly different from most people. Doesn't make PPP measures obscure or irrelevant.
    PPP has lots of problems with how it is calculated but ignoring the politics, using PPP to measure the size of economies, standard of living, or economic performance is not what PPP was designed to measure. As a really good example, using PPP per capita there are silly results like Taiwan, and Singapore scoring above Scandinavian countries, and Qatar is at the top. I doubt you believe the standard of living for the average individual in Taiwan, Singapore, and Qatar is better than the average standard of living for individuals in Sweden, or Finland. If you want to compare the standard of living use GPI, HDi, and ISH which will all give a better reflection of the standards of living in a country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bornblue)
    Jeremy Hunt today saying that restaraunts and fast food places must reduce sugar content in food.

Can't believe I agree with him on something.*
    Sounds great but as expected wishy washy, nothing concrete and did it in cooperation with big business, so nothing will happen

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Anna soubry sounds more like a blairite every time she speaks.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.politics.co.uk/comment-an...rotection-laws

Wow, fox hunting and this. Ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    The Indian nationalists are pissed off with us again...

Actually I guess that should be more pissed off than normal.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hungarian referendum is going to be fun, looking like 80%+ no vote

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    In terms of nominal GDP (PPP or not) it's pointless to compare us with Germany who have a larger labout force and hence output anyway. We've traded positions with France for decades.

In terms of GDP per capita your correct however ours has stalled for the past decade and i suspect most of those nations were ahead of us anyway. You've also not showed us the relative growth which i suspect has been worse in France, Spain and Italy.

My argument for leaving the EU is not that it will guarantee us riches or even that the EU holds us back all that much. My argument is simply that even after 40 years of membership, the EU is still not the defining factor in our success or failure. In or Out, we will succeed or fail either way.

Income inequality has grown throughout our membership of the EU, not a statistic you probably want to band about.

ReputationRep:
    So Phillip Hammond is talking the talk on being tough on big businesses who treat their workers like cr*p.

I obviously welcome that, I just hope that it's more than lip service for a change.*

Hammond reminds me of John Major. Hard to hate. Someone you could have a reasonable disagreement with.

ReputationRep:
    The DWP announce that they are scrapping the six monthly retests of chronically ill individuals. Theresa May appoints a former Blair advisor to launch an inquiry into workers rights.

Nice. The debate has certainly shifted.*

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 4, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Today on TSR
Poll
Would you rather have...?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.