The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1040
scaryhair
That's a bit harsh, especially seeing as someone's just posted with results under 500, and there may be others less confident about posting who have lower marks. We all do the best we can, and that should be enough.

i did mean on average!!!!!!

and dint mean to sound as harsh as it does!
Holsy
Hey everyone. I've compiled all the results that have been posted so far (deliberately not including usernames) just so the obsessives can have a look at the figures.

More to the point - everyone's done so fantastically and looking at the spreadsheet you can all be so proud of yourselves. I hope to be as lucky as you all on Friday.

I'll keep the spreadsheet updated as time goes on. :smile:

The spreadsheet is attached to this post, but I'll also link to it on the front page. The scores highlighted in yellow are the top 10% of scores in that particular section.

You beautiful, beautiful person.

For someone who is cacking herself over her UKCAT on Friday, this is making me feel better :smile:
Reply 1042
Kathryn128
You beautiful, beautiful person.

For someone who is cacking herself over her UKCAT on Friday, this is making me feel better :smile:

Thank you and you're welcome. :love:

Good luck on Friday! Mine's at 3.15pm - when's yours?
crazylemon
feel sorry for the person who gets 300 SOMEONE is bound to get that. Now that would really suck

That would be me, clearly... When I sit my test tomorrow :wink:

But seriously, I am expecting to fail.
Holsy
Hey everyone. I've compiled all the results that have been posted so far (deliberately not including usernames) just so the obsessives can have a look at the figures.

More to the point - everyone's done so fantastically and looking at the spreadsheet you can all be so proud of yourselves. I hope to be as lucky as you all on Friday.

I'll keep the spreadsheet updated as time goes on. :smile:

The spreadsheet is attached to this post, but I'll also link to it on the front page. The scores highlighted in yellow are the top 10% of scores in that particular section.

Sorry, but I have a Mac :frown: Copy and paste? Or tell me what the top 10 scores are or something please?
Reply 1045
OriginofSymmetry
Sorry, but I have a Mac :frown: Copy and paste? Or tell me what the top 10 scores are or something please?

attached the whole thing as PDF
Reply 1046
OriginofSymmetry

Okay I tried pasting that didn't work out >_<

Here! :biggrin:

I'm 3rd worst. :eek:

Reply 1047
Thanks for the alternative uploads. :h: I've added them to the pain page. :smile:
Holsy

oo nice on.

Its a shame we can't discuss the questions that have come up in the test. I think at least a quarter to half of the questions that came up in my '07 sitting came up in my '08 sitting.

I also found it quite helpful to use the white board for some of the later questions in DA.
Reply 1049
Shuijing
Okay I tried pasting that didn't work out >_<

Here! :biggrin:

I'm 3rd worst. :eek:

im seccond worst YAY :biggrin:

or in my eyes seccond best!!!!!
Well, wish me luck! I'm off to sleep now :frown:
VR: 680
QR: 750
AR: 620
DA: 790

Total: 2840
Average: 710

guess i can't complain
Holsy
UKCAT 2008

So many of us are going to be taking the UKCAT this year! I thought we could use this thread to discuss any problems we're having, the basic questions, talk about our nerves when our date's coming up and the aftermath!

For everyone's information: UKCAT Website and Lu-x's UKCAT resources thread

For candidates sitting the examination in summer 2008, the UKCAT will consist of five subtests:

* Verbal reasoning - assesses candidates' ability to think logically about written information and to arrive at a reasoned conclusion.
* Quantitative reasoning - assesses candidates' ability to solve numerical problems.
* Abstract reasoning - assesses candidates' ability to infer relationships from information by convergent and divergent thinking.
* Decision analysis - assesses candidates' ability to deal with various forms of information, to infer relationships, to make informed judgements, and to decide on an appropriate response, in situations of complexity and ambiguity.
* Non-cognitive analysis - identifies the attributes and characteristics of robustness, empathy and integrity that may contribute to successful health professional practice.

Verbal Reasoning (VR) - 44 questions in 21 + 1 to review (22) minutes
Quantitative Reasoning (QR) - 40 questions in 21 + 1 to review (22) minutes
Abstract Reasoning (AR) - 65 questions in 15 + 1 to review (16) minutes
Decision Analysis (DA) - 26 questions in 29 + 1 to review (30) minutes

UKCAT registration opens: 01 May 2008
UKCAT testing begins: 07 July 2008
Bursary and voucher application deadline: 26 Sept 2008
UKCAT registration deadline: 26 Sept 2008
UKCAT last testing date: 10 Oct 2008
UCAS application deadline: 15 Oct 2008

Myoclonic Jerk's superb advice:

First things first, almost everyone has been panicking about the QR section because of the practice section on the UKCAT site.

The night before my exam, I could barely get through half of the QR section on the website before time ran out. You've just got to try and keep calm and make sure you nail the questions that you do do - if the data is really complicated, take a guess, mark for review, and move on.

In the actual exam I guessed the last 8 questions, and ended up with a score of 830, so I don't think you're meant to be able to finish it...

I stuck to the timings for the other three sections, so managed to just about complete them as the time was up.

Apart from doing the practice sections on the UKCAT site and familiarising yourself with the timings for each section, the only advice I can give is what worked for me:

Try to do a bit of reading (new material, not old, familiar books) over the weekend - maybe from a newspaper or something - and see how quickly you can pick up the key ideas from the article. You might be surprised how much easier it becomes once you've 'warmed up'.

Maybe do a couple of sudokus or something to get your head used to dealing with numbers and logic again: if you're anything like me, your brain will have slowed down considerably since the end of the school term!

I also found going through the answers to the abstract sample questions on the UKCAT website especially handy - it let me know what types of patterns and stuff they were working from.

Apart from that, try not to worry too much about it (easier said than done, I know) - as long as you're familiar with the format of the questions, I don't think there's too much more you can do about it. Get a good night's sleep the night before!

Good luck!

So testing begins tomorrow; when have you booked your test?

TSR UKCAT SCORES (Last updated 27/08/2008)

Click here or open attachments

:love: Amazing! Superb! Brilliant! A work of modern art. Such brilliance has never been seen before in terms of a ****ing epic post about UKCAT.
Reply 1053
SamWalters
VR: 680
QR: 750
AR: 620
DA: 790

Total: 2840
Average: 710

guess i can't complain

That's a great score! I'm going to complain about how good it is, in fact. :wink2:
Haha a lot of people got 540 in VR too! :p:
Reply 1055
jjkkll
im seccond worst YAY :biggrin:

or in my eyes seccond best!!!!!

lol yes that's the spirit :yep:
Reply 1056
You wait. On Friday I'm going to beat you all with the lowest score. :p:
Holsy
That's a great score! I'm going to complain about how good it is, in fact. :wink2:

Haha :smile: thanks
excuse the double post

POTENTIALLY USEFUL ADVICE FOR THOSE YET TO TAKE THE UKCAT:

I scored 750 on the Quantitative Reasoning section of the UKCAT, but yet i didnt finish the section. Infact out of the 40 questions in the section, i only got to number 25.

I had a bit of a panic basically and about 5 mins from the end, i was only on like question 20, so i just decided i would guess the remaining questions in the last minute. However, i got carried away with another calculation, and before i knew it, the time was up, and i had only answered 25 questions, leaving 15 unanswered. I was so annoyed at myself, and this probably affected my performance in the Abstract reasoning slightly.

Anyway, my point is, i scored 750 after answering 5/8 of the questions. This leads me to the conclusion that perhaps they do not expect you to finish the section, but if you answer a good chunk of it, in an accurate way, you can score highly. Perhaps the score formula is based more on "percentage correct of those answered", than "percentage correct out of all"

Hope this helps, just answer them accurately and work as fast as possible, and dont worry if you cant answer them all
Just wanted to make a note about the fabulous spread that JJkkll had posted. If you were like me, and checked how you rank and realize that you are like in the pit bottoms of the chart and probably was like "oh _____". You should keep in mind that this chart isn't very accurate as obviously if you have a high mark/decent mark you'll post it. I'm sure there are PLENTY of people out there who have gotten below 500 and probably don't want to post their score for obvious reasons. Just wanted to make sure that people aren't going to start freaking out about this as it appears the average is around 650. If the UKCAT site still says average is 600 therefore I rather rely on their data than the small amount of data acquired in this forum. Just wanted to put in my 2 cents worth. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending