Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *stars and stripes*)
    I've seen both Au revoir les enfants is a bit of a tear jerker (or maybe I'm just a film wimp ) and La vie en rose is crazy genius :love: Anything by Truffaut is also amazing though

Foreign films are just great. If anyone wants to watch a good tear jerker I'd recommend a German film, the one about Sophie Scholl...I forget what it's called, hang on...Sophie Scholl – Die letzten Tage *sobs* Thank goodness for subtitles though- I don't speak any German!
    oh yes ive heard about that Sophie Scholl movie! i really really want to see it. and speaking of german films i watched 'goodbye lenin' and found that to be great too, quite funny at times as well.

ReputationRep:
    I've also heard that Sophie Scholl is excellent. Das Leben der Anderen is also another good German film.

(Original post by n1r4v)
    Do you language people find it easier to learn a language when systematically learning grammar, vocab and other linguistic elements, or do you find it easier to just immerse yourself in the language and kinda pick it up from there? I remember learning German and I honestly detested learning stuff systematically, even if someone repeated something a million times it wouldn't get through into my head... but I went to Germany and the grammar + vocab sort of magically registered and I became a bit better at it . I don't know really, as linguists you're probably good at both, but I was wondering what you're better at?
    Hmm, I'm not officially a linguist, but I think I find textbook learning easier - I like learning the rules first so that I know exactly what I'm doing and why, rather than by just what sounds right. (Having said that, when I learnt English it was completely through immersion - I don't have a clue about the intricate terminology and rules of English grammar - but then I suppose I was younger so my learning patterns were different.)

ReputationRep:
    I've seen both Au revoir les enfants is a bit of a tear jerker (or maybe I'm just a film wimp ) and La vie en rose is crazy genius :love: Anything by Truffaut is also amazing though

Foreign films are just great. If anyone wants to watch a good tear jerker I'd recommend a German film, the one about Sophie Scholl...I forget what it's called, hang on...Sophie Scholl – Die letzten Tage *sobs* Thank goodness for subtitles though- I don't speak any German!
    That Sophie School movie is excellent, we watched it in German 2 years ago, after reading the book it was based on: Das WeiBe Rose by Inge Scholl, I think it is - Sophie and Hans' sister. The White Rose was the name of the anti-nazi secret resistance movement they founded.
    Another German movie I went to see in German (I was so proud!) was Das Untergang (The Fall), about Hitler's last days in a Berlin bunker. I went with my mum, and came out crying on her shoulder!
    "Goodbye Lenin" was indeed very funny, quite the opposite to the above mentioned films!
    "Das Wunder von Bern" we watched when I was just beginning German, so although I didn't understand a lot of it, I found it a really lovely film - both heartbreaking and heartwarming!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    Excellent, one more for the Bridge Meet :p:

How many have we got now? 4? 5?

And 'sort of' is about my standard too :o:
    I'm willing to learn if you find yourself short of one.

ReputationRep:
    Hellooo all, good evening, hope everyone who's off for geek week enjoys themselves and has a good journey!

I read half a book today, saw a friend then went for a run at 10pm, I'm feeling productive... which, like, never happens, hence why I appear to by typing it in order to mark the beginnings of not lazing about! (I can get fit enough to play college football in a week right?!:p:) I am now nibbling on those Cadbury's Snaps things... y'know, the Pringle-chocolate?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilY?)
    I am now nibbling on those Cadbury's Snaps things... y'know, the Pringle-chocolate?!
    That is a masterful description of them :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    I'm willing to learn if you find yourself short of one.
    That's kind of you I'll see whether I can organise something in our second or third week.

ReputationRep:
    That is a masterful description of them :p:
    Haha, although "nibbling" was less of a masterful description... perhaps "devouring" would have been more appropriate

ReputationRep:
    That's kind of you I'll see whether I can organise something in our second or third week.
    :eek: I want to learn too! :P:

ReputationRep:
    Ah, it appears bridge appears in a book I have entitled "Popular card games". God knows where I got it from, since it seems to have been printed in 1933.

Contract or auction?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoedotdot)
    Danielle - I'm quite impressed with myself actually :yep: Although really, you shouldn't be too impressed, that's only the end of chapter 2 out of 7, and I basically just copied the example and changed the gender :p: (Thank you for the lovely PM btw, I will reply a little later when I've finished my translation. It made me smile anyway )

Jolly Louis (a much more exciting name than LJoll, I feel) - Come and visit meeeee, we have a John Lewis right across the road! I'm taking just slightly more than you :p:
    Chapter 2 of 7 is an achievement I wouldn't know how to change the gender in Russian, so therefore it's very impressive Yay for smiling :woo:

Pleeeeease change your name to Jolly Louis, LJoll :puppyeyes: It would be the most marvellous occurrence and it appears it would make both mine and Zoe's days :yep:

As for exciting things near Emma, we have Nandos Mushroom and halloumi burgers ftw :love: It did however sadden me greatly that if I had chosen Natwest for my student account, my 3 banks would have been in a convenient row, whereas now I have to *shock horror* walk down the road to Lloyds TSB :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mavoury)
    That Sophie School movie is excellent, we watched it in German 2 years ago, after reading the book it was based on: Das WeiBe Rose by Inge Scholl, I think it is - Sophie and Hans' sister. The White Rose was the name of the anti-nazi secret resistance movement they founded.
    Another German movie I went to see in German (I was so proud!) was Das Untergang (The Fall), about Hitler's last days in a Berlin bunker. I went with my mum, and came out crying on her shoulder!
    "Goodbye Lenin" was indeed very funny, quite the opposite to the above mentioned films!
    "Das Wunder von Bern" we watched when I was just beginning German, so although I didn't understand a lot of it, I found it a really lovely film - both heartbreaking and heartwarming!
    *shakes head* You guys are far too intellectual - while I've seen most of these films, my favourite german film will always be 'Der Schuh Des Manitu' by Herbig. (Sadly, it's in Bayrisch, so not accessible for non-German speakers ) Good though.

Oh, on a more intelligent note, there's a new one coming out I really wanted to see - it's called 'The Wave' in english. Anyone heard of/seen it?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, it appears bridge appears in a book I have entitled "Popular card games". God knows where I got it from, since it seems to have been printed in 1933.

Contract or auction?
    contract, Auction hasn't been used for 50 years or more :p:

If we have lots of people who want to learn bridge (noted btw Gesar) then I suggest that we have a cardathon at some point, playing Hearts, Spades, Whist and Barbu, that kind of thing. From my own experience if you know the play then Bridge doesn't seem nearly as daunting. I've been playing whist based card games since I was 7-ish, so am fairly proficient. I can also teach you some of our family games that nobody else seems to know

ReputationRep:

If we have lots of people who want to learn bridge (noted btw Gesar) then I suggest that we have a cardathon at some point, playing Hearts, Spades, Whist and Barbu, that kind of thing. From my own experience if you know the play then Bridge doesn't seem nearly as daunting. I've been playing whist based card games since I was 7-ish, so am fairly proficient. I can also teach you some of our family games that nobody else seems to know
    I did say it was an old book :p:

At school we used to play a trump/trick based game, which we called trumps, but which doesn't seem to exist under that name on wikipedia.

EDIT: hmm, seems as if it could be described as solo whist for any number of players with hands of seven cards.

ReputationRep:
    I'm officially packed!
    Whoever was commenting that the long To-Pack list was miraculously not taking up much space: I thought that too. Believe me, it's a mistake It's always the last bits that take up the most space! Well, it must be seeing as I started with a couple of crates full, feeling very proud of myself, and now have 6 crates, two large suitcases and a number of bags. Ahem.
    xxx

ReputationRep:

Do you play declaration whist? I thought it was a fairly well-known game but seems to turn up no results on Google :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [mellifluous])
    I'm officially packed!
    Whoever was commenting that the long To-Pack list was miraculously not taking up much space: I thought that too. Believe me, it's a mistake It's always the last bits that take up the most space! Well, it must be seeing as I started with a couple of crates full, feeling very proud of myself, and now have 6 crates, two large suitcases and a number of bags. Ahem.
    xxx
    Well done There was me worrying that I would have mountains of stuff compared to everyone else, phew! It seems I'm not after all :cool:

How are you feeling at the moment? Nervous? Excited? :woo:

ReputationRep:
    A bit of everything really!
    Woooooooo and AHHHHHHHHHH and eeeeeeeeeeeek!
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    I feel so jealous of the people going up early - I can't wait. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Chapter 2 of 7 is an achievement I wouldn't know how to change the gender in Russian, so therefore it's very impressive Yay for smiling :woo:

Pleeeeease change your name to Jolly Louis, LJoll :puppyeyes: It would be the most marvellous occurrence and it appears it would make both mine and Zoe's days :yep:

As for exciting things near Emma, we have Nandos Mushroom and halloumi burgers ftw :love: It did however sadden me greatly that if I had chosen Natwest for my student account, my 3 banks would have been in a convenient row, whereas now I have to *shock horror* walk down the road to Lloyds TSB :eek:
    I don't even know how to change my name. And it's not fair that you have all that stuff. We have..erm..some fields..a road..oh yeah, and Cambridge is only a (quite) short ride away.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.