Oxford Physics Students and Applicants Watch

TuskSE
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by soutioirsim)
Your doing physics at oxford? Niiicccceeee.

If you dont mind me asking, do you know what mark you got in the PAT? and what were the interviews like?
I have no idea how I did on the PAT, to be honest. At the time I thought it went pretty badly, but so did everyone else.

Interviews weren't what I'd been led to excpect from the advisors at 6th form college. No like "so why do you want to do physics?", or "why do you want to come to oxford?" or "so, tell me about yourself", or anything like that. One of the 3 interviews began with some short icebreaker mentioning something I wrote on the PS, but apart from that it was all staight maths and physics questions. Things like "sketch a graph of y = sinx/x", and "integrate this expression". The physics questions were mostly pretty mathamatical, rather than descriptive. I hesitate to mention any examples, because I have a feeling one of the admission tutors here reuses the same questions every year im sure other people on here will have examples.

A lot of the questions were based on stuff from AS, like centrepetal motion and conservation of energy and momentum. Some of them were on things I hadn't covered yet (such as the form for the coulomb force between two particles iirc) , but I just explained we hadn't covered it and asked for the expression, and from there on it was just maths really. They guide you through step by step, and you're not excpected to know anything you don't already have from AS. They just tell you anything additional that you need.

The interviewers were all really nice. Two in pairs, one on her own. The whole experience was really nice, actually. Assuming you're not bent on getting in and really stressed, its like a little holiday.
Omio
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I am an international student and I have to arrange a centre for taking the Physics Aptitude Test. I asked my British Council office and they agreed to host the exam. But I can't find the Centre Declaration Form anywhere on Oxford website. Where can I get the form and how should I send it (snail mail or e-mail)? Please help, friends.
Mighty Grandiose Noble Knight
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TuskSE)
I don't think I'd agree that you `can't really revise for the PAT`. I did. You want to know all the on-syllabus stuff inside out, then practise it a lot. (I hear physics/maths challenges are good for this, but Ive never looked at one myself.)
Hello. Thanks for being honest

Didn't mean to sound overconfident

I shall take your advice and be happy in Warwick.

Thanks for everything.

*Do you think I shouldn't take physics at all lol
soutioirsim
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have no idea how I did on the PAT, to be honest. At the time I thought it went pretty badly, but so did everyone else.

Interviews weren't what I'd been led to excpect from the advisors at 6th form college. No like "so why do you want to do physics?", or "why do you want to come to oxford?" or "so, tell me about yourself", or anything like that. One of the 3 interviews began with some short icebreaker mentioning something I wrote on the PS, but apart from that it was all staight maths and physics questions. Things like "sketch a graph of y = sinx/x", and "integrate this expression". The physics questions were mostly pretty mathamatical, rather than descriptive. I hesitate to mention any examples, because I have a feeling one of the admission tutors here reuses the same questions every year im sure other people on here will have examples.

A lot of the questions were based on stuff from AS, like centrepetal motion and conservation of energy and momentum. Some of them were on things I hadn't covered yet (such as the form for the coulomb force between two particles iirc) , but I just explained we hadn't covered it and asked for the expression, and from there on it was just maths really. They guide you through step by step, and you're not excpected to know anything you don't already have from AS. They just tell you anything additional that you need.

The interviewers were all really nice. Two in pairs, one on her own. The whole experience was really nice, actually. Assuming you're not bent on getting in and really stressed, its like a little holiday.
Thanks, that was really useful

Im kinda glad the interviews arent like that, I would rather them test me on maths and physics because they know that everyone wants to go to oxford and physics is their favourite subject.

If I do get an interview, I will be really nervous but it does sounds fun roaming about oxford for three days. What stuff did you do during your interviews?

Edit: What college made you an offer?
firebird89
Report 8 years ago
the declaration form will be available at www.admissions.ox.ac.uk/forms near to the time of the tests.
TuskSE
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Mighty Grandiose Noble Knight)
*Do you think I shouldn't take physics at all lol
No, didn't mean to imply anything like that. If you enjoy it and want to learn more, go for it! It's not like your grades are bad or anything. I just think that Oxford isn't such a good place for you to learn it compared to somewhere liek Wawrick which is still very good, but a little less intense. Glad I could be of help!

Thanks, that was really useful
If I do get an interview, I will be really nervous but it does sounds fun roaming about oxford for three days. What stuff did you do during your interviews?

Edit: What college made you an offer?
What did I do during interviews? Well, the runners (current students who look after the applicants, show them to interview rooms etc) had things organised in the evenings for those who were interested - going out, going to ice cream cafe's, ice skating (iirc?), etc. To be honest, I didn;t join in with a lot of that stuff. But I did spend a lot of time talking and getting to know all the other applicants (and runners), and genereally lounging around - exploring oxford together, or playing french junior monopoly, which was oddly the only board game in the common room. It's quite nice to get to know the other applicants in your subject, because then if you get in, you already know some of the people you'll be working with. It was generally just a nice time meeting new people, really. Might vary slightly depending on what what college you're staying at, but not much I imagine.

I got an offer from St Hildas, which is where I was during interviews. Didn't apply there, gut got pooled there for interviews. For physics, you get two interviews at the college you're staying in, and then one in some other random college.

Incidentally, Im glad I ended up in St Hildas, as I believe are all the other physicists who got pooled there. (Which is mot of them.) I think its pretty good for physics. Our tutors are generally both really nice, and good. And the atmosphere is relaxed, but not in a way that discourages working hard. All the physicists from the different years spend time with each other, which is nice. In my year in prelims, we had iirc 3(2?) distinctions (1sts) and 1(2?) exhibitions (boarderline 1st), out of 6 people. Which I imagine is comfortably above average across the uni as a whole. Id happily reccomend Hildas to any Physicists unsure of where to apply. Only snag is that its a bit far from the centre, but its still not nearly as far as it looks on a map. Its only 15-20min walk from the Physics department.
Hawnk
Report 8 years ago
Things like "sketch a graph of y = sinx/x", and "integrate this expression".
I was asked to do this at my third interview (LMH, but finally got into Teddy Hall), and somebody else asked it to me before, so clearly this is the thing to know
Omio
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Can you tell me when is the deadline for submission of the form?
Omio
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I couldn't find another thread for Oxford Physics applicants for 2011 entry. So I created this one.

Put your college name and grades here. Let's see how many applicants we have here for physics.
bl0b
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Is anyone also applying for material science as their second? It seems like its only me
soutioirsim
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by bl0b)
Is anyone also applying for material science as their second? It seems like its only me
I considered it but then it sounds very "hands on" and engineery which is the thing I am terrible at so I decided not too in the end. Does it take up one of your options on UCAS?
bl0b
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I considered it but then it sounds very "hands on" and engineery which is the thing I am terrible at so I decided not too in the end. Does it take up one of your options on UCAS?
Ah.. I guess I'm more of the experimental physicist.

Yeh it takes up a choice.. but I was stuck for my 5th choice until I found you could do this.
soutioirsim
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by bl0b)
Ah.. I guess I'm more of the experimental physicist.

Yeh it takes up a choice.. but I was stuck for my 5th choice until I found you could do this.
Yeah Im a theorist you could say :p:

Now you have brought this up, Im really tempted now becuase I dont have a fifth choice either! I wonder if you have to do any extra interviews for it...
bl0b
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeah Im a theorist you could say :p:

Now you have brought this up, Im really tempted now becuase I dont have a fifth choice either! I wonder if you have to do any extra interviews for it...
Yeh I was wondering this also.. the college I'm applying to (Mansfield) does both subjects so maybe they'll schedule them together or something.

Although its a -slight- pain writing a PS incorporating both subjects.
soutioirsim
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by bl0b)
Yeh I was wondering this also.. the college I'm applying to (Mansfield) does both subjects so maybe they'll schedule them together or something.

Although its a -slight- pain writing a PS incorporating both subjects.
Oh yeah I might not bother then because the college im (hoping to) apply to doesnt do it and I dont want to change my PS yet again! :p:

Oh well, good old physics it is! Good luck with it though btw.

Edit: Have you joined the "Oxford applicants" thread?
pinky198
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hi all, just noticed this thread!

I'm applying to Oxford for Physics & Philosophy in the coming months, so just thought I'd come say hello! Just looked up some PAT past papers, but I'm too tired to have a proper look at them right now, will maybe sit down with one and thrash it out some other time this week..

Haven't quite decided on which college, although I found the OUSU Alternative Prospectus was an awesome place to get an idea of what they're like - guess the open day next Friday will help though!
bl0b
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh well, good old physics it is! Good luck with it though btw.

Edit: Have you joined the "Oxford applicants" thread?
Thanks a lot, same sentiment to you

and welcome to the club pinky.
thestudent55555
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Omio)
I couldn't find another thread for Oxford Physics applicants for 2011 entry. So I created this one.

Put your college name and grades here. Let's see how many applicants we have here for physics.
Where is the thread?!?!?!!!!
bl0b
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by thestudent55555)
Where is the thread?!?!?!!!!
It got merged.
Omio
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Applicants applying for Physics at Oxford might be able to opt for Material Science as a second choice. I am wondering if I should do it as well.

Do I have to face extra interviews for material science?

Why would one choose material science as a second choice subject?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.84%
No - but I will (114)
7.83%
No - I don't want to (102)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (689)
47.32%

Watched Threads