Turn on thread page Beta

The European/World Football Thread II watch

Announcements

(Original post by meskell)
    2 losses? But I think it is 8 wins out of 9 perhaps :beard:
    Thats quite a record for a team I have never heard of...

And yes, they only lost to Hamburg.

ReputationRep:
    Dortmund back near the top of the Bundesliga, where they belong. Only two points off Mainz....

ReputationRep:
    Villarreal are off to a very good start as well; they have a very good team and a good mixture of experience and youth players.

Their team is:

Diego Lopez

Angel Lopez -- Rodriguez / Musacchio -- Marchena -- Capdevila

Bruno Soriano ---- Senna

Cazorla -------------------------------------- Borja Valero / Cani

Rossi ----- Nilmar

If I have time I might watch a bit of their match to see what the fuss is about. Most of the stuff I've read says that it's not just a good run and they've got real potential; solid deep lying midfielders and centre backs, quick and intelligent strikers in Rossi and Nilmar, rampaging full backs and Cazorla's been their best player. Worth a watch it seems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Villarreal are off to a very good start as well; they have a very good team and a good mixture of experience and youth players.
    A good piece on Villarreal here.

It's weird how just seeing Fiorentina play has made me really look out for them every week. They beat Bari yesterday to move off the bottom of the table, with a nice goal and a lovely scrappy one. Forza Viola.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone watching the Milan vs Napoli game?

Lavezzi just scored a genius goal, a throughball from the side of the box and he is running for it but clashes with a Milan player and is rolling around like a massive bobble, I was :rofl: but in the same motion he takes down Nesta, the ball is just infront of him and he skips quickly on his feet and does a surreal lob over the players and the keeper going in of the crossbar, he falls back on his arse.

Quality.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Macafelly)
    PSV 10-0 Feyenoord.

What, the, f*ck?
    Aye, had a chat with a Dutch guy I know from Uni about this. Feyernoord are in dire straits at the moment. Few years back when they contracted people like Makaay and van Bronckhorst they offered mega salaries, believing they'd get CL and earn it back that way. They didn't and got way way way in debt, something the Dutch FA took exception too and placed a transfer embargo, and thats why they couldn't get any real new players, and now have a team with almost all 18-19 year old youths who just aren't ready yet. Fallen along way since winning a UEFA cup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    A good piece on Villarreal here.
    Brilliant, thanks. Makes me want to watch them even more now.

ReputationRep:
    Barcelona will play today's Copa del Rey tie in Africa :rofl:

The Catalans have been drawn against third division Ceuta in the Copa Del Rey. Ceuta is one of two Spanish enclaves in North Africa. Melia - 150 miles to the east, is the other. Both are tiny, densely populated ports which front the Mediterranean, while sharing their heavy fortified land borders with Morocco.

When Ceuta and Melia meet at football, one team flies to Spain and then take a boat or flight back across the Straits of Gibraltar to Africa.

It may be the only match in professional football where both clubs play their home games on one continent while belonging to a league from a different one.

The matchday journey will start with a 90 minute flight to Malaga. As Ceuta does not have an airport, the Barça players will transfer to helicopters - Guardiola has never been on one before - for the 30 minute hop to Africa. It won't be so easy for the travelling fan. They'll return by the same method after the game and get home at three tomorrow morning.

Morocco does not recognise Spanish sovereignty over Ceuta, much like the Spanish don't recognise Gibraltar being British. Ceuta also is famous for being the birthplace of the former Barça midfielder Mohammed Ali Amar, better known for his performances for Tottenham and Zaragoza under his nickname ‘Nayim'. He scored Zaragoza's winning goal from the halfway line in the last minute of the 1995 European Cup Winners Cup final against Tottenham's arch rivals, Arsenal, a goal which inspired the song "Nayim From The Halfway Line."

The quirks of colonial geography means that when Nayim says, "I am proud to be a European and I am proud to be African," he is not lying.

Nayim caused a famous upset years ago, but even if his hometown team beat Barça tonight, they're unlikely to progress to the next round as the Catalans have the safety net of a second leg in Camp Nou. Not that the Barça players are likely to forget their trip to Africa in a hurry.

ReputationRep:
    World Player of the Year nominees: Xabi Alonso (Spain), Daniel Alves (Brazil), Iker Casillas (Spain), Cristiano Ronaldo (Portugal), Didier Drogba (Ivory Coast), Samuel Eto'o (Cameroon), Cesc Fábregas (Spain), Diego Forlán (Uruguay), Asamoah Gyan (Ghana), Andrés Iniesta (Spain), Júlio César (Brazil), Miroslav Klose (Germany), Philipp Lahm (Germany), Maicon (Brazil), Lionel Messi (Argentina), Thomas Müller (Germany), Mesut Ozil (Germany), Carles Puyol (Spain), Arjen Robben (Holland), Bastian Schweinsteiger (Germany), Wesley Sneijder (Holland), David Villa (Spain), Xavi (Spain).

World Coach of the Year nominees: Carlo Ancelotti (Chelsea), Vicente del Bosque (Spain), Sir Alex Ferguson (Manchester United), Pep Guardiola (Barcelona), Joachim Löw (Germany), José Mourinho (Internazionale/Real Madrid), Oscar Tabarez (Uruguay), Louis van Gaal (Bayern Munich), Bert van Marwijk (Holland), Arsène Wenger (Arsenal).
    I'm torn between Sneijder, Xavi or Maicon for the WPOTY.

Del Bosque or Mourinho for the coach award, though why Fergie/Wenger are nominated is beyond me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kevmeister)
    I'm torn between Sneijder, Xavi or Maicon for the WPOTY.

Del Bosque or Mourinho for the coach award, though why Fergie/Wenger are nominated is beyond me.
    Well seeing as it was a WC we can discount Messi, even though he should win it.

I'd give it to Xavi personally.

LOOOOOOOOOOOL.

Its the early in the CDR though. So it will be the reserves who will be making this trip.

ReputationRep:
    Sneijder, Xavi or Schweinsteiger.

Del Bosque, Mourinho or van Gaal.

Why is Milito not a nominee though? :unsure:

ReputationRep:
    Scneijder, Robben, Xavi.

Why the hell is Klose even on there :lolwut: he scored about 3 goals in the domestic season and had a good world cup.
    Why can't FIFA ever get this right :facepalm2:

Mourinho or manager of the year.

ReputationRep:
    These player awards are often suspect but Gyan's inclusion is absolutely ridiculous :laugh: :laugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    These player awards are often suspect but Gyan's inclusion is absolutely ridiculous :laugh: :laugh:
    Hey!!! Did you not see how many penalties he scored in the WC? :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R-KAM)
    Hey!!! Did you not see how many penalties he scored in the WC? :awesome:
    Hey dd you not see the one he missed :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    Hey dd you not see the one he missed :teeth:
    That incredibly important, once in a life time, record setting, 120th minute penalty? Naw, musta missed that. :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Danny Welbeck seems to be keeping him out the Sunderland team even!

ReputationRep:
    Sneijder has to be WPOTY, upon thinking about it. 3 major trophies for his club and a fantastic World Cup where he reached the final. Got to be.

I would say:
    1) Sneijder
    2) Messi - ****e world cup, but such a wonderful season can't be overlooked
    3) Xavi

Schweinsteiger would be close to them though.

Mourinho manager of the year.

Poll
Do you like exams?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.