Film Fanatics Society - Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
zjs
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Phalanges)
It is time for a confession; I do not like Kubrick.
Burn the heretic. :mob:

Full Metal Jacket and Clockwork Orange are sensational. The Shining is average, massively overrated imo.
rofflewaffle
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
:nooo:. Blasphemy tbh.
Ape Gone Insane
Badges: 15
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Never heard of him. :awesome:

I kid. :ninja:
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by thejonsmith)
Burn the heretic. :mob:

Full Metal Jacket and Clockwork Orange are sensational. The Shining is average, massively overrated imo.
(Original post by rofflewaffle)
:nooo:. Blasphemy tbh.
Meh, everyone has one person they inexorably dislike. I appreciate he has tremendous skill in his craft, and he is definitely a genius, but I just dislike him. I'll never forget the first time I watched The Shining, I've never been more underwhelmed by a film in my life.

I much prefer someone like Hitchcock or the new breed of directors.
Ape Gone Insane
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by aja89)
Seen all three Matrix movies, but didn't really care for them. I can't enjoy a film unless I love the characters. Ripley in Alien, Sarah in Terminator, everyone in Star Wars. :p:
Watch District 9. :yep:
Tam_Diman
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I used to like M. Night Shyamalan, but recently... :nope:

Although, Devil looks like it could be surprisingly good...
rofflewaffle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Meh, everyone has one person they inexorably dislike. I appreciate he has tremendous skill in his craft, and he is definitely a genius, but I just dislike him. I'll never forget the first time I watched The Shining, I've never been more underwhelmed by a film in my life.

Mmm, The Shining didin't live up to expectations for me either, I'll give you that.
zjs
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

(Original post by rofflewaffle)
Shining doesn't live up to expectations for me either
We're all in agreement on the point about The Shining then, but have you seen Clockwork Orange or Full Metal Jacket? (Phal) Those films exemplify both his skill and an edgy, different, well-made film. Immensely strange, enjoyable and powerful.
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
We're all in agreement on the point about The Shining then, but have you seen Clockwork Orange or Full Metal Jacket? (Phal) Those films exemplify both his skill and an edgy, different, well-made film. Immensely strange, enjoyable and powerful.
I've seen both (although not for quite some time), but I can't remember feeling that enthusiastic about them. Kubrick always seems to get such respect, and I'm not always sure he deserves that much.

Hmmm. Maybe I should give him another chance and go and revisit his films.
zjs
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've seen both (although not for quite some time), but I can't remember feeling that enthusiastic about them. Kubrick always seems to get such respect, and I'm not always sure he deserves that much.

Hmmm. Maybe I should give him another chance and go and revisit his films.
I don't think they're the sort of films you'd appreciate when you were younger, tbh. Especially Full Metal Jacket. Definitely worth re-watching.
aja89
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The scene in A Clockwork Orange when Mr. Alexander realizes that Alex is the man who raped his wife really affected me. Couldn't get it out of my head for days!
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
In case anyone missed this in the Piranha thread:

Genius. Sadly, this 2 minute clip is probably a lot better than the film.

I don't think they're the sort of films you'd appreciate when you were younger, tbh. Especially Full Metal Jacket. Definitely worth re-watching.
Yeah, I realise that. I might have to dedicate a weekend to him to see if he can impress me, what would you recommend I see? (I want to catch Mr. Strangeglove, as I have never seen that but it sounds pretty good).
rofflewaffle
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I haven't watched A Clockwork Orange for ages. Should watch again sometime, good film :yy:.
zjs
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeah, I realise that. I might have to dedicate a weekend to him to see if he can impress me, what would you recommend I see? (I want to catch Mr. Strangeglove, as I have never seen that but it sounds pretty good).
I'd start with Full Metal Jacket and A Clockwork Orange, then also try and take in Barry Lyndon. Spartacus is another 'classic' of his, although it's not really a film with the Kubrick stamp on it.
zjs
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have no idea what accent Ray Winstone's trying to do in The Departed, but it's ******* awful. :facepalm2:
common_person
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Mr. Strangeglove
I giggled at this then felt ashamed for being so simple.

I hated Barry Lyndon. It might've been alright if it were condensed, but it seemed like six or so hours of torturingly long silences, depressing-but-not-in-a-good-way "events", and Handel's ******* Sarabande making me want to end it all just for the sake of not having to watch the film anymore. Dull. 2001 just about gets away with the self-indulgence because it's a cool concept, but Barry Lyndon falls on his arse.

Oh, but Dr Strangelove is good. Peter Sellers is wonderful.

"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room." Immortal.
zjs
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't think it's one of his better films, but it's definitely a good example of Kubrick's filmmaking. It may not be the best example to make you enjoy his films, but I thought it was interesting enough, in a different manner to anything else I've seen.
Phalanges
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by common_person)
I giggled at this then felt ashamed for being so simple.
Oh god, I couldn't have butchered that title more if I had tried. I blame it on the gym, I've felt very light-headed since I came back.
common_person
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Galaxy Quest Alan Rickman
JHar
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I joined this society a few days ago, but didn't comment. But now I see heretics, so
<3 Kubrick.

Although, to be fair, as time passes, my love wanes slowly.
Also, tradition dictates this next part.

Favourite Ten Movies:

1. American Beauty (Sam Mendes) - though as with Kubrick, I feel it weakening with every viewing. Though it will always hold a somewhat sentimental value for me)
2. Stalker (Andrei Tarkovsky) - Two hours and a half of cinematographic masturbation.
3. Dogville (Lars Von Trier) - The more I think about it, the more lists such as this it makes. One of the best scripts to grace film-making.
4. Persona (Ingmar Bergman) - A stunning classic. Innovative at the time. Also, a heretic is here too. It's the only Bergman movie that I truly enjoy. Yes, that includes Seventh Seal
5. Seul Contre Tous (Gaspar Noe) - I seriously have to see Enter the Void. Have to.
6. Joint Security Area (Park-Chan Wook) - The Park film that is not a Park film. I love his other films too, but JSA is amazing.
7. El Espinazo del Diablo (Guillermo del Toro) - This film is poetry. Not much else to add.
8. Vertigo (Alfred Hitchcock) - Mostly for inventing one of my favourite film shots, appropriately named, the Vertigo shot. Also, unlike some other Hitchcock films *cough*Psycho*cough*, this is not in your face and does not think the viewer is stupid.
9. Lolita (Stanley Kubrick) - And you think I forgot this guy? Hah, no. And yes, I like one of his "worse films"
10. Pulp Fiction (Quentin Tarantino) - I dare you, I double dare you to not like this list. I mean, it's ok. I love them though.

PS: Shining is still terrible. I won't try and redeem that one. A Clockwork Orange is amazing, though.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (199)
27.87%
No (515)
72.13%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise