Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by affinity89)
    The way I have understood it:
    Teachers have to give set periods of notice. May marks the latest someone can really resign when they want to finish July/September. So, from May, jobs will be available for those positions that have become free due to someone resigning. But, teachers still in a job will be unable to go for them, as it will be too late for them to give the given notice period.
    That said, I've heard of people leaving and giving less notice, especially when circumstances are particular, so I suppose it isn't fixed in stone.

I might be completely wrong, but from what we've been told, that is how I picture it.

So schools who are squeezed in their budgets and want to appoint a lovely cheap NQT without breaking the law with some kind of "NQTs only" advert are more likely to wait and post their advert once only unemployed teachers can apply? Classy.

... not that I'm complaining

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzanathema)
    So schools who are squeezed in their budgets and want to appoint a lovely cheap NQT without breaking the law with some kind of "NQTs only" advert are more likely to wait and post their advert once only unemployed teachers can apply? Classy.

... not that I'm complaining
    Welcome to the wonderful world of educational budget balancing.

ReputationRep:
    The way I have understood it:
    Teachers have to give set periods of notice. May marks the latest someone can really resign when they want to finish July/September. So, from May, jobs will be available for those positions that have become free due to someone resigning. But, teachers still in a job will be unable to go for them, as it will be too late for them to give the given notice period.
    That said, I've heard of people leaving and giving less notice, especially when circumstances are particular, so I suppose it isn't fixed in stone.

I might be completely wrong, but from what we've been told, that is how I picture it.
    I hadn't thought of it like that before, but it makes perfect sense. How reassuring!

13,000 odd words done, of which 5,000 count towards the 6,500 word-count.

I'm just hoping that the light at the end of the tunnel isn't an oncoming train!

ReputationRep:
    Right, 7,300 words, or 800 too long. Not too bad. Then a bit of faff with photocopying, and I'm done.

Question - has anyone done anything along the lines of P4C (Philosophy for Children)? I'm trying to get a sense of it for my next (and final!) assignment.

ReputationRep:
      Following Rainy's lead [though sadly, I am unable to help with his question]...

I am writing an essay on articulacy and standard English, linked to the introduction of the pair as a new QTS standard. I am obviously focused on pupils and their work, verbal and written. I have some samples from my placement, but not as many as I had hoped. If you have any samples [anon of course], I'd really appreciate it - particularly samples where dialect can be seen as having an effect on spelling and grammar.

Regarding placements, my new one is in my STCC's school. Not really happy about it, to be honest. But, I will obviously try to make the best of it. I can't lie though - I am focused on July 4th [freedom!]...

ReputationRep:
      Following Rainy's lead [though sadly, I am unable to help with his question]...

I am writing an essay on articulacy and standard English, linked to the introduction of the pair as a new QTS standard. I am obviously focused on pupils and their work, verbal and written. I have some samples from my placement, but not as many as I had hoped. If you have any samples [anon of course], I'd really appreciate it - particularly samples where dialect can be seen as having an effect on spelling and grammar.

Regarding placements, my new one is in my STCC's school. Not really happy about it, to be honest. But, I will obviously try to make the best of it. I can't lie though - I am focused on July 4th [freedom!]...
      Oh if you'd asked me this 2 years ago I would have had so many lovely examples of Black Country dialect for you! Alas, I live there no more!
      What is STCC?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Becca)
      Oh if you'd asked me this 2 years ago I would have had so many lovely examples of Black Country dialect for you! Alas, I live there no more!
      What is STCC?
      School Training Centre Co-ordinator.

ReputationRep:
      I'm starting my primary PGCE in September, I know the majority of this thread has been stress, doom and gloom but I was just wondering what some of your more positive moments have been? Not even just within the classroom, but also how the course is taught/who you've met etc

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Green Giant)
      I'm starting my primary PGCE in September, I know the majority of this thread has been stress, doom and gloom but I was just wondering what some of your more positive moments have been? Not even just within the classroom, but also how the course is taught/who you've met etc
      I met my husband.

ReputationRep:
      I just had some great presents from my year 10s... erm, not sure what else..I still long after planning free weekends way too much to feel the bonuses.. I'm sure that they will come!

ReputationRep:
      -Meeting new people on the course and in schools
      -Planning really great lessons and knowing the children really enjoyed it
      -Having that 'break-through' moment with a child
      -Knowing I'm getting closer and closer to being a qualified teacher
      -Going up in assembly for flowers on my last day
      -Seeing what progress the children can make
      -Getting good feedback from observations

There is loads of good things but I think this is more of a venty thread is all! It is such a stressful course but I know most people still enjoy it regardless!

Good luck with your PGCE!

ReputationRep:

Obvious one- when kids say "thank you Miss, I get it now". Can't beat that.
      My subject group (I'm secondary) are all wonderful- in fact most of the people on my course are, we get along brilliantly.
      I couldn't ask for better course staff either- the course manager and my subject course tutor are both wonderful.
      All of the staff I've worked with in both schools have been amazing (albeit in different ways... one particular one was quite negative with me but still helped me a lot)
      The funny things kids say!
      Teaching a good lesson when you were convinced it was going to be rubbish because the last one was. Or indeed when any lesson goes well!

...and about a thousand more. And I could come up with those despite having a dreadful week. So don't worry too much!

ReputationRep:

Positivity!!

In school -

Some great teachers, some great pupils, banter from pupils, seeing some great work the pupils have produced from your lessons, having pupils say hello to you in the corridor, pupils who talk about your lesson outside of class (this is an amazing feeling!) and good observations/comments from mentors.

In uni -

Making some amazing friends and meeting so many new people. The feeling of, you are all in this together, is lovely. I've had some brilliant nights out on the social side of things with people from my course, and really look forward to going into uni!

I think because the course is so hardcore and there is a lot to fit into a short space of time, it is really easy to get stressed out and dwell on the negatives. It is a tough yet rewarding time - I have been SO stressed out/upset but the next week so happy and pleased with it. Very bizarre! Just do it and try your hardest, you will love it I'm sure!

ReputationRep:
      I have a blog that is 100% positives.

ReputationRep:
      Sorry to divert from the positives but need to post the obligatory "argh my tutor is coming to observe me" rant.

That's essentially it- it's with a group I'm not getting on too well with. And half of the lesson will be my input with half being a worksheet. I'm aware that's not great as far as grading is concerned. BUT the topic is conjugating -er verbs in French, and I know for a fact that some of them will get it within about two seconds as it's the most regular pattern ever, and some will take a while longer. So the worksheet progresses them through it after my input (which will keep them together as there is no writing or anything like that), and they can work on it at their own pace rather than me giving them each activity separately as a class and never being able to move forward. And then the final 5 minutes before the plenary is specifically for them to check their work as they have the tools to do so- AfL box ticked, yes?

Does that sound too awful, if anyone happens to be reading this before tomorrow?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by noodles!)
      Sorry to divert from the positives but need to post the obligatory "argh my tutor is coming to observe me" rant.

That's essentially it- it's with a group I'm not getting on too well with. And half of the lesson will be my input with half being a worksheet. I'm aware that's not great as far as grading is concerned. BUT the topic is conjugating -er verbs in French, and I know for a fact that some of them will get it within about two seconds as it's the most regular pattern ever, and some will take a while longer. So the worksheet progresses them through it after my input (which will keep them together as there is no writing or anything like that), and they can work on it at their own pace rather than me giving them each activity separately as a class and never being able to move forward. And then the final 5 minutes before the plenary is specifically for them to check their work as they have the tools to do so- AfL box ticked, yes?

Does that sound too awful, if anyone happens to be reading this before tomorrow?
      I think it's good to be observed with a class you're slightly struggling with. It seems like you've thought through your planning and have valid reasons for all of your decisions. Grammar can be pretty dry but it's one of those things!

ReputationRep:
      Well my observed lesson went decently for once- they were much better behaved and I think it's because the teacher left the room so it was just me and my tutor in there. I was told I should have engaged more with them throughout the lesson rather than it being "input-> worksheet -> check own work -> plenary" so it was satisfactory rather than good. Which I'm ok with.

My department were all bloody lovely when I went into the staffroom at break. Bit pathetic really as I'd come out with satisfactory(!) but they knew how worried I'd been.

The more interesting part of my day came from my tutor saying that she's going to get me some help because she thinks my lack of confidence and self-esteem is a lot worse than typical PGCE panic about stuff and it's holding me back. And I think I do need it It's a good job she wasn't able to stay for too long afterwards or I'd have probably blurted out everything and she'd never have been able to leave! So now I get to spend all weekend wondering what she's said to the course manager and what I'll be faced with when I go in on Monday...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by noodles!)
      Well my observed lesson went decently for once- they were much better behaved and I think it's because the teacher left the room so it was just me and my tutor in there. I was told I should have engaged more with them throughout the lesson rather than it being "input-> worksheet -> check own work -> plenary" so it was satisfactory rather than good. Which I'm ok with.

My department were all bloody lovely when I went into the staffroom at break. Bit pathetic really as I'd come out with satisfactory(!) but they knew how worried I'd been.

The more interesting part of my day came from my tutor saying that she's going to get me some help because she thinks my lack of confidence and self-esteem is a lot worse than typical PGCE panic about stuff and it's holding me back. And I think I do need it It's a good job she wasn't able to stay for too long afterwards or I'd have probably blurted out everything and she'd never have been able to leave! So now I get to spend all weekend wondering what she's said to the course manager and what I'll be faced with when I go in on Monday...
      Congrats on it going well. Observations suck. They make you doubt yourself so much...

Try not to worry over the weekend though. Hopefully they will do something to help with nerves etc, but don't let the prospect of what they might have in mind ruin your time off. Time off is so precious on this course!

ReputationRep:
      Congrats on it going well. Observations suck. They make you doubt yourself so much...

Try not to worry over the weekend though. Hopefully they will do something to help with nerves etc, but don't let the prospect of what they might have in mind ruin your time off. Time off is so precious on this course!
      Thanks Yeah I really do hope they can help me somehow because I love teaching and would hate to have to give it up now.

Speaking to my sister has just cheered me up- she's in Y8 and has a few student teachers in different departments. And she said that her history one did a starter today and she a) couldn't spell slavery and b) had to ask the class teacher what the second thing in the starter was. Made me feel slightly better about the fact that I can do whole lessons! Also she said her science ones did confuse the class a fair bit, which I'm guilty of. But she said they wrote a lot of stuff on their hands because they couldn't remember/spell the words. On the other hand, her Geography one is "really strict", by which she says she means "he makes us shut up and do the work"! So there's a mix of PGCE students right there!

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.