Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

NFL talk? Questions about American football? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've played rugby (both proper rugby and league) as well as American football over the years and whilst it may appear to the uneducated that putting lots of armour on makes it 'poofy' its all just part of an arms race.

Unlike in rugby where a certain degree of self-presevation may kick in whe considering just how hard to tackle an opposing player in American football, because of the format the game takes (defensive/offensive teams) amour has just become a weapon. Defensive players can (and do) nail opposition running backs, wide receivers etc just as hard as they can, safe in the knowledge that in all but the most unlucky of circumstances such hits will be soaked up. Offensive players though don't have the luxury to 'scale up' the amour to match as they need mobility. This is why the average playing life of a professional offensive player can often be significantly less than a defensive player.

Yes the armour seems like it'll soak up most of the hits but believe me, as someone who has played running back, slot back and wide receiver, it still hurts when the pain train arrives.

As for NFL, well as a Detroiter-born I can only follow one team, the team that play in the biggest comedy club in North America, Ford Field.

Go Lions.......

(Thank god I prefer to watch ice hockey and have the Red Wings to make up for the 'Lions Blues'....)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ihavenospacebar)
    I sure this has been asked many a time, but why the hell do you call it football?
    Stole this from internet

Just keep in mind that what we call "rugby" is actually "rugby football," yet rugby players handle the ball as much as they kick it. What most of the world calls simply "football" is technically "association football," from the name of its founding and governing body. When soccer and rugby split, the association game simply adopted "football" as its name, while rugby football focused on the first part of its name. That doesn't mean one game is football while the other isn't. They're still both football games with a shared origin.
    What's more, since the soccer/rugby split, other football-related games have evolved to emphasize other parts of the body to propel the ball. In fact, of the world's six major football codes -- soccer, rugby league, rugby union, Australian rules football, American (gridiron) football, and Gaelic football -- soccer is the only one that prohibits use of the hands. And they all employ kicking strategies to a greater or lesser extent.

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_is_Ame...#ixzz1JLIzPJ6n

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mithra)
    Rugby isn't 'tougher' than American Football
    do rugby players wear pads and helmets?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ventura7)
    Ignoring the other much longer and better structured replies than mine.

Yet despite these pads and helmets American Football players still get much worse injuries than rugby players and more often too. Concussion especially a massive number of players experience and spinal injuries aren't exactly rare. Hardly a pansy sport :p:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ventura7)
    Some wear pads and scrum caps.

You're comparing apples with oranges though. The nature of rugby makes the need for extensive padding unnecessary. No one in rugby is running towards a line of opposition defensive players whilst having to look back down field for a ball being thrown, a catch which if made will then allow all those huge defensive player to legally nail you.

The manner of tackling is the main difference between the sports and the need extra padding in American Football. In rugby the ball isn't dead when a player is tackled and so a few inches movement here and there in the tackle is not so much an issue. In American Football though as soon as the player is tackled the ball goes dead. In a game when distance has to be made in a limited number of downs every inch given away/gained in a tackle makes a difference. This is why defensive players hit so hard and the reason why offensive players nedd to maintain mobility. Defensive players need to kill the momentum coming at them dead and offensive players need to try and avoid those players and keep going forward.

Different sports require different equipment. Rugby and American Football are quite different sports, no matter what a superficial glance may suggest.

These days I mainly play ice hockey. Would you suggest that armour and helmets aren't required in that because field hockey players don't wear them?

ReputationRep:
    This is what bugs me with Panthers having No.1 pick.

DO NOT DRAFT A QB!

Drafting a rookie (which would probably be Newton) is not going to solve anything! Who is he going to learn under? Newton hasnt come from a pro-system and so is disadvantage straight away. The CBA agreement will probably cut short Training camp so thats even less time to learn. Nah, taking a rookie QB would be silly. When free agency opens, take a shot at Matt Hasselbeck or Donovan McNabb. That way, Panther improve their pass offence and Clausen has some quality tutoring which he didnt get last year under Matt Moore.

Pick Team Player Posistions
    1 Carolina Green WR
    2 Denver Dareus DT
    3 Buffalo Miller OLB
    4 Cinca Newton QB
    5 Arizona Gabbert QB
    6 Cleveland Peterson QB
    7 San Fran Amukarama CB
    8 Ten Fairley DT
    9 Dallas Watt DE
    10 Washington Jones WR
    11 Texans Aldon Smith DE/OLB
    12 Minnesota Jake Locker QB - JOE WEBB IS NOT THE ANSWER
    13 Detroit Costonzo OT
    14 St Louis T.Smith WR
    15 Miami Mallet QB
    16 Jacksonville Kerrigan DE
    17 NE Cam Jordan DE
    18 San Diego Wilkerson DE/DT
    19 NYG Smith OT
    20 Tampa Clayborne DE
    21 KC Taylor NT
    22 Indi Carimi OT
    23 Philli Bowers DE
    24 NO Heyward DE/DT
    25 Seattle J.Smith CB
    26 Baltimore Brandon Harris CB
    27 Atlanta Houston DE
    28 NE Reed OLB/DE
    29 Chicago Solder OT
    30 NYJ Moore S
    31 Pitt Aaron Williams CB
    32 GB Ayers OLB

ReputationRep:
    Ignoring the other much longer and better structured replies than mine.

Yet despite these pads and helmets American Football players still get much worse injuries than rugby players and more often too. Concussion especially a massive number of players experience and spinal injuries aren't exactly rare. Hardly a pansy sport :p:.
    Yep, because the helmet has changed the tackling technique so the idea now is to lead with the head towards the ball or the numbers (to force a fumble) rather than with the shoulder as in rugby. As someone who plays both I'd say they're pretty alike in terms of toughness-you get hit harder to AF but you pads soak it up and theres nothing quite like the brutality of a maul in AF...

Either way both are harder than football.

Oh and:

(Original post by James1977)
    As for NFL, well as a Detroiter-born I can only follow one team, the team that play in the biggest comedy club in North America, Ford Field.

Go Lions.......
    Another Lions fan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WharfedaleTiger)
    Yep, because the helmet has changed the tackling technique so the idea now is to lead with the head towards the ball or the numbers (to force a fumble) rather than with the shoulder as in rugby. As someone who plays both I'd say they're pretty alike in terms of toughness-you get hit harder to AF but you pads soak it up and theres nothing quite like the brutality of a maul in AF...

Either way both are harder than football.

Oh and:

Another Lions fan
    There is, I believe, a helpline for us Lions fans.

ReputationRep:
    Indeed, I believe its called Dignitas and its located in Switzerland.

Personally I'm just looking forward to what imaginative ways we'll find to lose games this year.... Not sure anything can top the Jets implosian last year...

ReputationRep:
    You know the Lions, if there is one thing they do well thats losing. The Jets have just raised the bar in a discipline in which the Lions excel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WharfedaleTiger)
    Indeed, I believe its called Dignitas and its located in Switzerland.

Personally I'm just looking forward to what imaginative ways we'll find to lose games this year.... Not sure anything can top the Jets implosian last year...

Fear not, young lions fans!

As a Pats fan (who's team is ace year in year out ), I can say that I truly believe that the Lions will be a real good team next year. However you will be victims of your division which is strong. Detroit is up and coming though. Very strong team indeed!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    I love how supportive Lions fans are of their team :p:.

ReputationRep:
    Oh we're supportive, just realistic as well.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to agree with James here-after seeing your team play like crap for 4 years you get a wee bit pessemistic.

ReputationRep:
    Just wanted to say.....

PATRIOTS FOK YEAH!

ReputationRep:
    So Peyton Hillis just beat Aaron Rodgers for the Madden cover 2012!
    Vick beat Peterson too, just leaving Hillis and Vick in the final.

Who will you be voting for?

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/feature/madden2012cover
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Hill)

Voted for Vick as much as I hate myself for it :p:.

Also, JJB Sports seem to be selling shirts fairly cheaply atm, only a small number of teams though..
    http://www.jjbsports.com/american-sp...etFilters=true

ReputationRep:

Also, JJB Sports seem to be selling shirts fairly cheaply atm, only a small number of teams though..
    Awesome, already got myself a Ravens jersey, but I have a friend who wants a Steelers one , so I'll let him know. Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    **** yeah hillis

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T-Hill)

(Original post by Blaah Blaah)
    **** yeah hillis
    YAYY! Voted for Hillis because 1) he had an awesome breakout season and made my fantasy team AWESOME, 2) vick is a criminal and I don't like animal abuse and 3) Vick has already been on it once, lets have a change!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered sport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.