The Student Room Group

The Italian Football Thread

Scroll to see replies

Hypocrisy undeniably tinged with racism, in Italy

who'd have ****ing thought it ! :rolleyes:!

****ing *****

if I wasn't on a hipster nihilist cycle it would make my blood boil lol, utter *****

****ing disgrace Italian football is.

Guardian article;

Spoiler

Basically there are bigger things in this world to cry about and give a **** about, but Mario's personality is somewhat explained by the consistent racist undermining and hatred he's received.
Original post by sevchenko
The season barely started there's no form to judge lol. Even going on World performances can you honestly say Immobile, Marchisio, Candreva, Motta, Insigne, Darmian or Verratti performed better than Balo at the WC?

Granted it does look like he lacks a bit of match fitness but that doesn't excuse that fact that Parolo, Giovinco, Quagliarella and originally Osvaldo were called up before him...Osvaldo ffs

I meant his form from the back end of last season/pre-season, which at this point is all we have to go on.

I don't agree with the call up of certain members of this squad, still I think this is probably about a good a time as any to drop Balotelli.

Roma’s Daniele De Rossi can lay claim to being Serie A’s highest earner after figures were released on Tuesday detailing the wages paid to players in the Italian league.

The Italy midfielder earns £5.2m (€6.5m) a year or £100,000 a week net, a healthy enough amount but dwarfed by the £300,000 a week (gross) of the Premier League’s highest-paid player, Manchester United’s Wayne Rooney.

The figures published by Gazzetta dello Sports show that the Italian league is falling behind on Europe’s pay scale with, for example, Gareth Bale, Cristiano Ronaldo and Lionel Messi all earning over £200,000 a week in La Liga.

Fernando Torres, who left Chelsea to sign a two-year loan deal with Milan, has surrendered his £175,000 a week for £60,000 a week in Serie A.

Another Premier League émigré, the former United captain Nemanja Vidic, will make around £50,000 a week at Internazionale while Micah Richards, who left Manchester City for Fiorentina, will earn £26,000 a week.

Juventus are the biggest payers and are the only Italian club to increase their wage bill from the 2013-14 season with Carlos Tevez and Arturo Vidal earning upwards of £60,000-per-week, though the promising Paul Pogba has to exist on a relatively meagre £23,000 a week.

The top-earning coach is Napoli’s Rafael Benítez on £2.8m with his centre-forward Gonzalo Higuaín the league’s second-best paid player on £4.4m.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/09/daniele-de-rossi-serie-a-highest-earner

I can't believe how much lower the wages are in Italy compared to England. Anyone know what the tax is like? I don't think it's much lower than the other European countries.
Inter-Napoli... what a great last 10 minutes to a game that was awfully dull! Awful defending by both teams too.

Watching Napoli this season hasn't been great but thank God for Callejon. Saved them on a couple of occasions, nice volley for the second goal tonight.

I need to share this wonderful own goal from the Milan game earlier too... oh dear.

Lovely stuff that Di Natale scored his 200th goal on his 400th appearance. To think he teased us with wanting to retire at the end of last season too.
Original post by ra-ra-ra
Lovely stuff that Di Natale scored his 200th goal on his 400th appearance. To think he teased us with wanting to retire at the end of last season too.

Incredible player. Shows that you can't write off anyone too early with the form he's hit later in his career. Knows the value of loyalty and humility too.
Great news to see that Joaquin Correa has taken the step into European football and signed for Sampdoria this morning. Quite a few European clubs were said to have shown a bit of interest in him from Monaco to Benfica to Man City to Chelsea, so I'm a little bit surprised (but at the same time very pleased) to see him signing for Sampdoria. Very much looking forward to seeing how he will take to European football as I have done nothing but admire him whilst he's been playing over in Argentina. Hopefully this move will work out for him.
Interesting AC Milan looking to leave the San Siro
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/31074970
Mario Gomez is back - 5 in 3 games. It's a shame he was injured a lot of last season. When he gets going he is easily a 25 goal a season striker.

I'm following Italian football from a distance this season. I used to get to see some games but now I see virtually nothing.

I've got to admit I'm fed up of this Juve dominance. I hope Roma can continue to put up the fight but they seem to drop too many points against the top teams. Napoli have been meh in 3rd, doubt they'll finish higher. Was hoping Fiorentina could make a return to the Champions League but it's not looking likely.

It's nice to see a good old Italian team in Sampdoria doing well, but I wish Milan could get their act together. Used to be my favourite European club, and they had a brilliant team between from the turn of the century up until Ibra left really.

It's also sad what has happened to Parma. Couldn't play in Europe this season and now bottom.
Original post by Strange Fruittt
Hypocrisy undeniably tinged with racism, in Italy

who'd have ****ing thought it ! :rolleyes:!

****ing *****

if I wasn't on a hipster nihilist cycle it would make my blood boil lol, utter *****

****ing disgrace Italian football is.

Guardian article;

Spoiler

Basically there are bigger things in this world to cry about and give a **** about, but Mario's personality is somewhat explained by the consistent racist undermining and hatred he's received.

I just read this properly. Pretty sad to see personally. Absolutely ridiculous he has to suffer this nonsense. Hope he finds happiness.
RIP Parma :frown:
Terrible about Parma's plight - at one stage in the 90s they had Baggio, Cannavaro, Buffon...
Apparently, no confirmation of their demise but incredibly sad if they do. Missed the Channel 4 days, like, as stated above, they had a selection of good players. Thuram, Zola aswell.
Original post by Aky786UK
Apparently, no confirmation of their demise but incredibly sad if they do. Missed the Channel 4 days, like, as stated above, they had a selection of good players. Thuram, Zola aswell.

James Richardson > every other football presenter.
Well this thread is dead. But anyway now Rafa is on his way to Madrid I will close by saying, Napoli was a fantastic time. Such a modest club that didn't go spending huge sums of cash but ultimately couldn't compete with Juve. Losing Pepe Reina and our best defender (Fernandez) to Swansea was the nail in the coffin though last summer.

Tonight. Napoli vs Lazio.

FORZA NAPLES
Original post by Bubzeh
Well this thread is dead. But anyway now Rafa is on his way to Madrid I will close by saying, Napoli was a fantastic time. Such a modest club that didn't go spending huge sums of cash but ultimately couldn't compete with Juve. Losing Pepe Reina and our best defender (Fernandez) to Swansea was the nail in the coffin though last summer.

Tonight. Napoli vs Lazio.

FORZA NAPLES

Do you just support whichever team benitez is managing?

Posted from TSR Mobile
More goals in Serie A than any other major European division this season. The renaissance is well and truly underway.
Forza biancocelesti!!!
Good to see Torino end such a good campaign with a thumping, too. Enjoyed watching them in the Europa League.
So Parma finally has a formal purchase offer. Hopefully it doesn't fall through, because it does appear to be just the one offer.

It may be too little too late for keeping the playing staff - other clubs are circling like vultures for the remains of their first team squad. I keep seeing Antonio Mirante linked to Inter.

At least they have a strong captain in the dressing room though - Lucarelli has spent so much time at the club, I get the feeling he will follow them down to Serie B rather than abandon ship as others may be tempted to do.

As for Inter, well...not much hope there. I expect Kovacic will be gone shortly. Once again, a young talent leaves the club and will blossom into a world class player elsewhere. I'm stunned that Icardi renewed though, I was certain he'd leave for Champions League football elsewhere. There is talk of signing Benatia, Cuadrado, Yaya Toure...I don't believe a word of it. No doubt the magic solution for our defensive problems will be Mobido Diakite on a free :facepalm2:

Quick Reply

Latest