Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, IB is not about spoonfeeding, it's about independent thinking and learning. Whatever ACS was doing, it must have been different from what teachers traditionally do in the IB programme, and thus in their case the whole point about IB giving you skills for life disappears. In the end, it's more about the skills you get out of IB than the points.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crayons)
    I highly doubt they broke the rules. Singapore is very sticky about such things.

What could possibly have happened though, is that your teacher is used to more independent learning styles on the end of students. I'm in the local schooling system but have had several teaches from abroad. I think they all realize that our teaching and learning styles are different? We are more...finnicky here as students. Everyone wants the best. Kiasuism you might call it? So they want all the information they can get when it comes to graded assignments, and will keep asking for more and more help.

My point here is that teachers who teach in international schools sometimes see Singaporeans as quite different from students overseas in the Western country or even at international schools. In the case of the drafting and re-reading, chances are that what he considered A LOT of help, singaporean students are just very used to- spoonfeeding some call it.
    And that, is not the point of the IB. If they can't stick to the rules they should not be doing IB. IB students are supposed to be learning for themselves, learning skills to go to university. This has nothing to do with what the teacher is used to, because there are rules from the IB that have to be followed, no matter what teaching methods are used.

If a school cannot stick to these rules, they should not be put in the newspaper with their 9 45-pointers because these 45 points were not achieved fairly. I am not doubting the intelligence, or motivation of these students, because like all Singaporeans, I'm sure they were really hard workers (yes I do admire that, because we, ang mohs, could never do that as we were not brought up that way, and some of us would rather have some time for ourselves) but if the IB guidelines were breached this does not have anything to do with teaching style.

I should point out that I am not saying all of these students did not achieve their points unfairly, they should be very proud of their results. I am just saying, that the school provided too much support for the students, and that they, according to what I've heard, did not follow the rules everyone else who takes IB is obliged to follow.
    The school is to blame, not the students.

EDIT: And I do realize Singapore is strict, I've spent half of my life here.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I realize that IB is all about independent learning. So are all IP programmes. Supposedly. Frankly, IP prog. are soooo much more independent-style learning based, but nonetheless cannot beat the systems abroad.

Margsch: "I am just saying, that the school provided too much support for the students, and that they, according to what I've heard, did not follow the rules everyone else who takes IB is obliged to follow." this clarifies a lot because previously it sounded like you were saying "They got themselves too much help".

Anyway, I'm not in the IB and don't know much about it, but I just reckoned that maybe it was a different in definition of "too much help". But I get what you mean.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rawkingpunkster)
    Haha rachel, you're talking about charlene?

That's pretty unjustified. As far as I know, they followed the guidelines of 2 drafts being corrected by the teacher before the 3rd is submitted as the final.
    yeeah charleen! she's a good friend of mine from sec school!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I realize that IB is all about independent learning. So are all IP programmes. Supposedly. Frankly, IP prog. are soooo much more independent-style learning based, but nonetheless cannot beat the systems abroad.

Margsch: "I am just saying, that the school provided too much support for the students, and that they, according to what I've heard, did not follow the rules everyone else who takes IB is obliged to follow." this clarifies a lot because previously it sounded like you were saying "They got themselves too much help".

Anyway, I'm not in the IB and don't know much about it, but I just reckoned that maybe it was a different in definition of "too much help". But I get what you mean.
    Why on earth are you argueing with me about how much help you're allowed in the IB programme if you're not even in it... :confused: :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I've got many close friends in it whom I've heard from. And I was merely pointing out that from a different perspective the "cheating" you speak of may just be "spoonfeeding" to someone else.

And there is a difference between an argument and a discussion. I simply was offering my POV in the matter.

ReputationRep:
    What don't you understand? In the IB spoonfeeding = cheating.
    Stop talking about something you don't know.

Wonder why I'm not 'merely giving my POV' on the IP? Because I don't KNOW what IT IS!

ReputationRep:
    yes, I already agreed that what I thought was spoonfeeding wasn't just that but unfairness and possibly "cheating".

Yeah that's quite clear that you don't know what IP is. However, I DO know what the IB is. My best friends study there and I researched on the programme in considering whether or not to apply there. Stop being rude.

ReputationRep:
    yes, I already agreed that what I thought was spoonfeeding wasn't just that but unfairness and possibly "cheating".

Yeah that's quite clear that you don't know what IP is. However, I DO know what the IB is. My best friends study there and I researched on the programme in considering whether or not to apply there. Stop being rude.
    That's a fallacy, ad hominum to be precise.
    You're not in IB, so I'm not going to argue about it with you.
    Good day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g-oo-ey)
    That's a fallacy, ad hominum to be precise.
    You're not in IB, so I'm not going to argue about it with you.
    Good day.
    yeah alright.

p.s. it's Ad hominem

ReputationRep:
    yeah alright.

p.s. it's Ad hominem
    Hahah I knew it! Thanks for correcting me, now everyone knows you're more intelligent than me, because one letter makes so much of a difference. :p:

ReputationRep:
    What a response. Was just pointing out the word was spelt wrongly, since you were talking about fallacy and its precision so profoundly and all. Hardly had anything to do with intelligence. Have no idea why you turned this personal.

Btw, rachelcee...are there a lot of Singaporeans in CLC? I know there are quite a lot of Asians and I heard of one former schoolmate now at CLC. I remember my friend corresponding with Wycombe Abbey and they immediately told her that there was no way she could enter in Aug of her JC1 year simply because she was born before Aug of that year and that every girl in a particular year has to be of the same age. Does CLC emphasize this? Cuz it would be hard for Singaporeans to go in then :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chronicles)
    What a response. Was just pointing out the word was spelt wrongly, since you were talking about fallacy and its precision so profoundly and all. Hardly had anything to do with intelligence. Have no idea why you turned this personal.

Btw, rachelcee...are there a lot of Singaporeans in CLC? I know there are quite a lot of Asians and I heard of one former schoolmate now at CLC. I remember my friend corresponding with Wycombe Abbey and they immediately told her that there was no way she could enter in Aug of her JC1 year simply because she was born before Aug of that year and that every girl in a particular year has to be of the same age. Does CLC emphasize this? Cuz it would be hard for Singaporeans to go in then :O
    There are just 2 Singaporeans in my year, both of us came in the sixth form. There are a number of other Singaporeans in the lower years. But in general there are quite a number from HK, a few from China and a few from other Asian countries like Japan, Vietnam, Brunei (sends about 2 scholars a year), Indonesia etc. Yeeah CLC doesn't care that much for that. They also take students a year early... the other Singaporean in my year was from RGS and skipped sec 4. But yes I know schools like Westminster and Wycombe Abbey enforce that.

ReputationRep:
    hahaha. I think I know of that girl. She may not appreciate her name being throwing into a public forum but the initials are CY right? But wait can't be. Cuz the one I know was in sec 4 last year. She skipped a couple of months of sec 4 and went to CLC for lower sixth in aug last year.

Oh Westminster is plenty sticky!!

ReputationRep:
    The girl I'm referring to is her sister, JY...but yeeah CY is her younger sister and she's also at CLC now. CY is an amazing singer! She won the singing cup!

Yes, of course. Westminster is arguably the best school in the country. They send about half of each year to Oxbridge!

ReputationRep:
    ah okay. Makes sense then. I don't know her personally but someone was telling me that a person named CY had gone to CLC or something because my friend was actually telling me about how many people continuously make the decision to go abroad and giving some examples.

ReputationRep:
    What does Kopitiam mean?

ReputationRep:
    Kopitiam means coffee-shop (with hawker centres, etc). A place where people eat and talk.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Narev)
    Kopitiam means coffee-shop (with hawker centres, etc). A place where people eat and talk.
    Oh right, thanks. Good choice of title.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, having gone through the IB system at ACS I, I feel that the school did not cheat, and I'm not just saying it because I was from there. The teachers were very clear on the rules of IB and stuck to them, because they did not want us to lose marks in IA especially being the pioneer batch and all. We had up to 30 passages to study for English A1 IOC, while other schools only have 8-10. The physics department marked down our practicals even though some did a very thorough job. The list goes on.
    On spoonfeeding, I am pretty certain the teachers did not contribute much to the content of the coursework. Perhaps the teacher felt he was 'writing his student's whole essay' because the student did not write in the formal language necessary for a formal essay. I know my geog teacher *****ed about my language in my EE all the time.
    Anyway, at the end of the day, the exams still hold the largest proportion of the marks, and thats where the hard work pays off.

On a side note, anyone knows when the A level results will be released?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2016
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources
US study forum

Accommodation profiles:

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation - voted by 22,000 students.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.