Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

AQA GCSE English Literature Exams - 20th and 23rd May 2013 *OFFICAL THREAD* Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I know about the point, evidence, explain, relate to context etc. structure but are you guys going to include an introduction for both the Sunlight on the grass and Of mice and men? Or neither? Responses appreciated greatly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by higuyslol)
    would this structure get me a B or an A?
    4 paragraphs for an inspector calls
    Point:
    Evidence:
    Explain:
    Elaborate:
    Effect on audience:
    Personal opinion and refer to question:

three paragraphs for of mice and men passage(a) and 4 for part (b)

Point:
    Evidence:
    Explain:
    Elaborate:
    Effect on reader:
    Historical context:
    personal opinion and refer to question
    Whatever you do - do not give your opinion on it and do not use the personal pronoun 'I' as it has to be formal.
    so you could says 'this makes the reader feel'. 'As the reader you feel....'

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys! For the exam tomorrow, do you know how to formulate the answers to the questions? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustaDreamer)
    Hey guys I know about the point, evidence, explain, relate to context etc. structure but are you guys going to include an introduction for both the Sunlight on the grass and Of mice and men? Or neither? Responses appreciated greatly!
    I would always structure your essay with an introduction and conclusion. It's more impressive, sophisticated and reads better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sos_)
    I would always structure your essay with an introduction and conclusion. It's more impressive, sophisticated and reads better.
    Ok thank you

ReputationRep:
    How much should you write for section a and section b to achieve a high grade (if the quality is the aswell)

ReputationRep:
    What do you guys plan on putting in your intro/conclusion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kypaldinho)
    How much should you write for section a and section b to achieve a high grade (if the quality is the aswell)
    Its not about quantity its about quality, you should manage to write at least 2 sides but it depends on your handwriting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Moljane)
    Hi. is the exam on the 20th May (tomorrow) about short stories? such as 'compass and torch' or about poetry like 'quickdraw' etc? I'm confused reading these posts as i done poetry in my last literature exam..

I know tomorrow has questions about of mice and men aswell but is it short stories and of mice and men or poetry and of mice and men?
    Tomorrow for me is the Sunlight on the grass (short stories) and of Mice and Men

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kypaldinho)
    Tomorrow for me is the Sunlight on the grass (short stories) and of Mice and Men
    Tomorrow for me is The Crucible and OMAM

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HASSANATOR)
    Hi,

You can probably tell that most people think that the natural world or slim will come up in OMAM

So why don't we share context ideas so we can all come out with an A*

I will start of:

Natural World-Context- "periscope head moved from side to side". The "side to side" is ironic as it was important to turn your head around to keep cautious in such an individualistic society where all the itinerant workers would think on just survival.

Thanks

Lets see how many perceptive points on context we can gather
    Come on
    The snake being eaten by the heron could foreshadow Lenne's death , especially because the snake is described as "little" and Lenie's surname is "small"
    Alternatively, the heron could represent people with a higher status in society consuming the vulnerable people (snake)
    Vulnerable people would be : disability, racial prejudice, sex e.t.c

Any other ideas for Nature?

ReputationRep:
    guys, everyone seems to be doing Inspector Calls tomorrow Is anybody doing The Crucible and Of Mice and Men and have any tips for me? mainly for The Crucible pleaseeee I'm so scared for this exam

ReputationRep:
    WHY do i screw so badly in these english papers? I mean, i just can't come up with these amazing points you all seem to make so effortlessly! Like in the exam i literally sit there staring at the paper thinking as hard as i can but nothing gets to me i will love anyone who can help me with this issue very VERY much (metaphorically speaking). And i swear im the only one who flops these tests badly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasha792)
    Him & Sheila contrasting the older generation:
    - Sheila's arguments are more carefully thought out, whereas Eric's are more hostile "Damn you, damn you"
    -Eric later accepts that he had some responsibility and is "frightened". Both he and Sheila are annoyed that their parents will not change
    -Sheila and Eric's generation will later set up the Welfare state in 1945 and they are breaking free from their parents strong capitalist grasp
    -Sheila and Eric feel guilty whereas Mrs B just denies it. "It can't be..."
    -Sheila and Eric refer to Eva as a person and what to do the right thing by the girl, whereas Mr B is prepared to pay "thousands" to protect his status.

Any more ideas??
    (Eric already came up in the foundation paper for January 2011, but he still did not come up in any of the Higher tier papers so far, so there's still a good chance of Eric being in the higher tier paper this time)
    AO1
    what he says and does - foolish and young
    his relationships with his family – how they respond to him and how he responds to them
    his growth through the play
    his reaction to the Inspector
    AO2
    his journey through the play – how he is introduced and what his last lines in the play are
    the language he uses
    changes in his attitude
    the differences between him and his parents

You could maybe use some of these points listed in the mark scheme from the foundation paper January 2011 and apply them in more detail for higher

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hassan.arif97)
    WHY do i screw so badly in these english papers? I mean, i just can't come up with these amazing points you all seem to make so effortlessly! Like in the exam i literally sit there staring at the paper thinking as hard as i can but nothing gets to me i will love anyone who can help me with this issue very VERY much (metaphorically speaking). And i swear im the only one who flops these tests badly
    People on Student room are not representative of the whole of Britain. Don't feel bad!

What helps me is that I DON'T think, I just appreciate what the novel is about and am happy to express my thoughts about it. Don't think of it like in Science and Maths, think of it like an Art.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BP_Tranquility)
    I wrote this a while ago so this might be a weak essay, but what grade would you give this and how could I improve?
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Question: "The predilection for minding other people's business was time honoured among
    the people of Salem, and it undoubtedly created many of the suspicions which were to lead
    the coming madness." What attitudes towards other people do you consider fed the
    'madness' of the witch hunts and how does Miller represent these attitudes? (30 marks)

Answer: The Crucible explores the accusations with emotions and depth via the
    representations of the attitudes surrounding the issue of the witchcraft trials. It is evidently
    displayed by the initial spur and rumours that fuelled Abigail's quest to the guilty conscience
    of Hale who discovers how mad the trials really were.

The scene begins with Parris “evidently” in prayer, suggesting that his appearance was
    critical to him- he wanted to seem as if he had not lost any hope but suspiciously, he is
    “overcome with sobs” suggesting that he does not feel his daughter will escape her paralysis
    any time soon. The reputation of other characters such as Danforth who, with a tinge of
    conceit, asked “do you know who I am?” and his refusal in postponing the hangings suggest
    that he did not want to look weak. After all, he believes that the court is guided by God and
    suspects that there is a desire lurking amongst the people who “undermine this court.”
    Parris believes that the town was trying to remove him from the church as there was “a
    faction and a party” and clearly states that he has “many enemies.” This may be considered
    to have caused the divisions amongst the townspeople as Parris constantly tries to protect
    his reputation. For example, he “unwillingly” says that he saw them dancing These
    statements all point to the conclusion that the fight for the protection of reputation and
    stature fuelled the witchcraft trials as the adverb “unwillingly” evokes that there was some
    restraint in revealing the truth since it would be a sign of weakness in the “fortress” of the
    law and any attack on the court was an attack on God.

Abigail had other intentions in driving the witchcraft trials. Her plan was to hang Elisabeth
    Proctor and then marry John Proctor who had committed adultery with her. She is first
    described as having an “endless capacity for dissembling.” “Endless” and “dissembling” both
    suggest that she is very capricious and potentially manipulative which we later realize is
    true. For instance, first Abigail “lowers her eyes” when she is being berated but this is not
    only a sign of guilt but also a sign or deceit and betrayal. She then later on bellows “in
    terror” and asserts that he “mistake” himself. She is willing to question his authority and
    when realizes she can have power and higher authority (after all, she would be considered
    to be near the bottom o the social hierarchy), she declares that she was enraptured by the
    Devil and yells, “I want the light of God,” She is also enshrouded in a “pearly light” and the
    terms “pearly” and “light” are ironic since her actions are far from godly. The term “pearly”
    causes her to seem innocent and inspired and this is a fine example of she managed to trick
    the community that she was guided by God. However, her main purpose was to try and
    have Goody Proctor hanged which occurs in Act 2 and albeit we first think that she may be
    becoming hysterical, her desire of power becomes evident when she begins the accusations
    with rising “glee.” The term “glee” suggests that not only is she enjoying firing these
    accusations but her profound sense of belonging is overwhelming as suddenly, she has
    become a girl of great significance in the play. In fact, she becomes so influential that she
    begins to intimidate one of the most ruthless, heartless and callous man in the book-
    Danforth- as Abigail’s presence results in his “weakening” and “apprehensive” approach he
    is frightened o her and her “open threat.”
    The law has been symbolized as being “heavy” with Cheever remarking that he carried its
    “tonnage” on his back. Corey was also pressed to death in Act 2 and these symbols all
    personify the law as being gruff and solemn- its word was final and any attempt at refuting
    it was futile, even if you had a testimony of “ninety-two” names. However, despite the
    grueling witchcraft trials the benevolent characters in the play remain fearless. For instance,
    Rebecca Nurse remains loyal to God and her good courteous reputation is not undermined.
    Proctor considers her to be a “saint” and as her face brightens when she sees Proctor, he
    “turns his face to the wall.” This stage direction indicates the remorse and guilt proctor feels
    and does not want to gaze at this woman. This is synonymous to a guilty person being afraid
    of praying to God despite the fact that still “sits like a great bird.” His further questioning to
    God asking “who is John Proctor?” as he tries to wrestle with his conscience eventually leads
    them to see “some shred of goodness.” Rebecca also states that “I’ve had no breakfast”
    (indicating that her concern for this mundane matter meant that the hanging was of a lesser
    importance) and Giles Corey, whose final words were “more weight” all portray their
    loyalty, confidence and faithfulness to God. They are iconic characters in the play who did
    not seem to fear the trials since they knew that they were not witches, so had no reason to
    lie and confess.

The play depicts the various attitudes the people had from the issue of Danforth and Parris
    both being egotistic about their reputation and Danforth’s suspicion to those “who dared to
    rise against the law” are evident examples of how the trials were not merely inescapable
    but also an opportunity for the girls in particular to execute their revenge on others. I have
    felt very touched and influenced by the play since it has depicted these vital issues in an
    astonishing way and we can clearly see how Miller completely opposed these horrors, as
    well as the rise of McCarthysm in his life.

A very successful response, fulfilling top band for most objectives.

A couple of small points: I would include more reference to the acts (e.g. in Act 1.... or ..., as shown in Act 2 etc.). Just shows the examiner that you understand the play through and through, and holistically. You have indirectly done this by providing quotes, but to be 100% safe, I would state which acts these quotes are from.

Another thing: Make reference to language devices, e.g. lexical choices etc.

Since you seem like a potential full mark candidate, I would try and include a sentence or two about political or religious context and what you think Miller's thoughts are. Told to do this by my teacher.

Another full mark tip is to include an evaluative bit at the end of each paragraph, and then also have the "concluding", bit at the end of the essay.

Just to tell you the words from the top band:
    Exploratory & Insightful
    Close analysis of detail
    Evaluation
    Interpretation of ideas.

Your essay fulfils a lot of that. Well Done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elm Tree)
    My plan is to do well in the Poetry exam, and I've done well in the CAs so I should still be able to get an A.

That's the part I hate most about it.. you can do hours and hours of revision only to find they ask a question you haven't revised

edit: How long should the answers to Sections A and B be?
    A-2/3 sides
    B- 1 full side each
    As long as they are good the above will be enough and yup that's my point.

(Original post by JustaDreamer)
    Yep that's how you spell it thank you for the meaning, I roughly had it but not the whole picture. What key ideas do you have about the poem?
    I don't know what you mean, but the poem could be to do with love or power, and all you need to do is find ideas on them when comparing it to another poem depending on that other poem... I hope that answers it, but I don't think it does.

ReputationRep:
    For Jan 2013 Higher
    Hour and Farmers Bride Came

Hope this information helps!

ReputationRep:

Unit 1H Mark Scheme Template: Section B

Mark Band 6

-

marks

Candidates demonstrate
    :

Insightful exploratory interpretation of
    ideas/themes

Close analysis of detail to support interpretation

Evaluation of the writer’s uses of language and/or structure and/or form and effects on readers

Insightful exploratory response to context(s)

Insightful exploration of a range of telling deta
    il to support response to context(s)

Information is presented clearly and accurately. Writing is fluent and focused. Syntax and spelling are
    used with a high degree of accuracy.

This was the last general mark scheme for Section B, how do you interpret this? What do you think we have to do?

ReputationRep:
    The water is warm could also symbolise the journey of their dream to be tranquil and moving; in this moment in time, it seems to be fulfilling and rich, which conjoins with the "deep", "green" and "fresh" adjectives.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.