The Commons Bar Mk VIII - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
nixonsjellybeans
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Saoirse:3)
I didn't call you a Tory, I accused you of using their rhetoric which I stand by. Just because others are worse off, doesn't mean lecturers should ignore the fact their own conditions are under attack.
True true and I never said they shouldn't strike. I just said don't expect my turnout on the day of the strike. I love that people are standing up for their employment rights but right now its not the biggest concern in my eyes. I'm appalled by the growing numbers of homeless people in my area, this at the moment is a bigger issue for myself and one I would rather devote my time too.
Saoirse:3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by nixonsjellybeans)
True true and I never said they shouldn't strike. I just said don't expect my turnout on the day of the strike. I love that people are standing up for their employment rights but right now its not the biggest concern in my eyes. I'm appalled by the growing numbers of homeless people in my area, this at the moment is a bigger issue for myself and one I would rather devote my time too.
That's fair enough, and yes that is extremely worrying. The benefit's cap and bedroom tax are proving just as horrid and vile in effect as predicted, and perhaps even worse.
SciFiRory
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
homelessness is going up pretty much everywhere sadly was a thing on the news a while back as well cause local councils are just shoving people who are really vulnerable into B&B's cause they won't pay for them to go elsewhere, with the benefit changes and the lack of affordable rents, I fear it's only going to worsen as well
nixonsjellybeans
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by SciFiRory)
homelessness is going up pretty much everywhere sadly was a thing on the news a while back as well cause local councils are just shoving people who are really vulnerable into B&B's cause they won't pay for them to go elsewhere, with the benefit changes and the lack of affordable rents, I fear it's only going to worsen as well
Its horrible. Walk down one or two of the main roads in Hull and inside phone boxes, on the steps of charity shops and subways you'll find many of these poor people I almost clattered some guy I met who was denying the existance of homeless people here, even his friends shut him up. Needless to say he was another clueless middle class politics student from the deep south.
Qwertish
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Its horrible. Walk down one or two of the main roads in Hull and inside phone boxes, on the steps of charity shops and subways you'll find many of these poor people I almost clattered some guy I met who was denying the existance of homeless people here, even his friends shut him up. Needless to say he was another clueless middle class politics student from the deep south.
Hull is pretty bad. Though there's one homeless guy who does it by choice...

Not nearly as bad as I'm seeing in London though. And I'm in South Ken and Notting Hill.
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Avoiding TSR UKIP Question Time, so I post here: Pretty good humour coming from the left, right?
SciFiRory
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
damn seen a lot more people sleeping rough in the car parks here, there's one in the city centre and most of the underground part now is blankets and stuff, it's really grim. (and Bath is not a poor city generally speaking so it's really depressing to see even here), one of my best friends at Uni used to be homeless so I guess I was lucky in that I was able to find out about stuff cause of that more as well, amazes me how badly people treat the homeless as well, and as for the politics of it? don't get me started, how the 7th richest nation in the world gets it's priorities so badly wrong that we have so much poverty and homelessness beggars belief.
Qwertish
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Are we talking about the same city? I wasn't aware there were any subways in Hull...
That Bearded Man
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The fact that we have so many empty buildings and yet so many homeless is a scandal, that we have a society which has such inequality is disgraceful, it makes my egalitarian blood boil.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
The greatest liberation can often be the realisation of your fears.
nixonsjellybeans
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Qwertish)
Are we talking about the same city? I wasn't aware there were any subways in Hull...
Subway as the the chain of foodstore subway :lol: Although there are no underground transport subways in hull.
meenu89
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Life_peer)
Avoiding TSR UKIP Question Time, so I post here: Pretty good humour coming from the left, right?
If I was an outsider to the Model Commons I would love you to keep on posting there. However I have to remember I am not a child so yeah, don't post in there anymore!
Life_peer
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by meenu89)
If I was an outsider to the Model Commons I would love you to keep on posting there. However I have to remember I am not a child so yeah, don't post in there anymore!
Thanks, I guess… :pirate3:
Jarred
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Did you steal this from our forum? :lol: Didn't know if I should have posted it here...
Nah I heard about it from someone else on TSR, I'm not sure where they got it but I think it was somewhere from chat or the forum games.
Tactical Nuclear Penguin
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Homeless people is one of the biggest problems sadly. I seem to be being solicited for spare change more and more these days. One in Birmingham is particularly canny and sits next to the cash point, making the excuse of 'sorry I haven't got any money' a bit of a blatant lie. I would love to give money to organisations who support homeless people but I can't give to every single charity sadly.
Blue Meltwater
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I still can't get my head around how there's no safety net able to keep people above the most horrific levels of deprivation. The population of people in most cities who sleep rough is *only* a few hundred, which surely isn't that high a number to find emergency shelter for or to get onto waiting lists for housing. I'm not an expert in how it works and there's perhaps something I'm misunderstanding. It just seems such a massive failure of government to be unable to supply even basic shelter to these people.
Rakas21
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Blue Meltwater)
I still can't get my head around how there's no safety net able to keep people above the most horrific levels of deprivation. The population of people in most cities who sleep rough is *only* a few hundred, which surely isn't that high a number to find emergency shelter for or to get onto waiting lists for housing. I'm not an expert in how it works and there's perhaps something I'm misunderstanding. It just seems such a massive failure of government to be unable to supply even basic shelter to these people.
As much as we complain about government a lot of the time policies are shaped by public opinion and unfortunately England takes a dim attitude towards begging and seems to assume that they are all druggies or alcoholics and that your money won't actually buy them food. Ergo, politicians are somewhat able to sweep it under the carpet since the only people who will really care are those who won't be voting for the coalition parties anyway.

Of course the bedroom tax (not actually a bad policy) has been implemented in one of the most incompetent ways i have ever seen (no council by council review, no phased introduction - just a national x many people, y many houses, looks good) and that's primarily what is now causing this increase most likely (i disagree with S that the benefit cap is making people homeless but i'm open to actual evidence). If it looked like IDS could get anywhere near the leadership in 2015 i'd probably have to question my support for the party given the incompetence he has shown in the bedroom tax and to a lesser degree disability review (again a good policy but implemented disastrously).
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Qwertish)
Hull is pretty bad. Though there's one homeless guy who does it by choice...

Not nearly as bad as I'm seeing in London though. And I'm in South Ken and Notting Hill.
The people of Hull elected John Prescott as their MP for many years. When I had the misfortune to visit a few years ago I saw a place starved of investment, though if you had John Prescott representing you, it cannot make a place attractive.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Tactical Nuclear Penguin)
Homeless people is one of the biggest problems sadly. I seem to be being solicited for spare change more and more these days. One in Birmingham is particularly canny and sits next to the cash point, making the excuse of 'sorry I haven't got any money' a bit of a blatant lie. I would love to give money to organisations who support homeless people but I can't give to every single charity sadly.
I just happened to see the exact same thing up in Leeds today...
Johnstun
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Saoirse:3)
QFA
Hi,

First of all I would like to address some concerns about the Bill was presented. I admit that the original notes section was unclear, and for that I am sorry; however, at no point did the Bill lie, and all the information was there for those who was interested. In addition, in response to some confusions within the party over the Bill, I wrote an updated notes section including a very simple and easy to understand costing of the Bill, and although due to a mistake the Bill was not sent to vote with them (any member of UKIP, the Liberals and Conservatives can check the forums to see that this was indeed a genuine mistake, not some plot to "deceive" to house), I provided a copy of the notes within 15 mins of Sairose asking for more details, and have now asked the speaker to add them to the Bill that is being voted on, which he has done.

Now, I would like to address the issues of the supposed "tax cut" on airline companies. The real life airline tax is often considered to be high and uncompetitive. Although they have a right of center bias, I find the economist is a generally reliable source of information, and their article explains how we have the 2nd highest airline tax in the world (after chad), and for example TEN TIMES higher than in France, which has airports in Paris that compete with us; BCC estimates the impact at about 10 billion pounds on GDP, though they are prone to exaggerate and I wouldn't be surprised if the true figure was half that (though still twice as much as the tax raises). This article also sums up some of the recent and fairly large increases in recent times. This also mentions growing discontent with the tax and a petition that has reached 100,000 signatures, as well as this one, which highlights impact on smaller airports such as Glasgow and Newcastle.

Now, in real life this tax, which has been so often attacked as too high, raises 2.2 billion pounds from airlines per year. In TSR, we currently raise 3.4 billion, which means that the taxes that are already one of the world's highest and have kept rising over the past decade, have risen by another 55% IN THE SPACE OF JUST ONE YEAR. This would certainly have a devastating impact on both airlines and passengers, as well as on the usual gains from business links, etc, as flights try to move to places like Paris where the tax will now be 15 times cheaper. The aim of the Bill is to cancel this rise (which by the way no one ever noticed, and I am convinced that it was an accidental rise- at no point in the Carbon Tax Bill discussion was it noted that airline taxes would rise by 55% over one year) and to restore the tax to the current real life levels of 2.2 billion (as well as raising them in what is considered a more efficient method for the environment)

In answer to any queries about the fiscal position of TSR, there are plans to see if money can be raised elsewhere or cut elsewhere in completely separate Bills, and our fiscal position is slightly better than real life, so I would not be too worried about that.

Finally, I would just like to add that what is often advertised as a "tax on airlines," is in fact in the majority of cases also the exact same thing as a "tax on consumers," as evidence suggests that a lot of the APD has been passed on to passengers.

It would also be nice if someone could please post a copy of this reply in the division lobby so people can see that their concerns are being addressed. Thanks.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (140)
18.42%
No (460)
60.53%
Not really bothered about them (160)
21.05%

Watched Threads